Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been looking at the Grom for some time now. I'm currently riding a scooter however when im 17 ,which isn't for some time yet but it never hurts to be early, obviously I want to upgrade. I like everything about the Grom, except the size. Its not major off-putting for me, however I think at college people might give me weird looks. I travel roughly 15 miles most days, with the exception of the occasional ride and chill with my friends. I'm also looking to have some fun with a bike, maybe a little bit of off roading, nothing which requires a dirt bike. I live in a town, so i rarely have to travel at high speeds.

So my question is, do you think a Grom would be a good first bike given my circumstances or should I get something else?

Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you can get around at 55 MPH then go for it. If you think you will want to go faster on a semi regular basis, go for something bigger like the 300cc bikes that are out there. I came from a Suzuki SV1000S and absolutely love my Grom. Almost put 10,000 miles on them between the two Groms I have owned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i presume as your mentioning being 17, ur in the uk. so 125 is the only option.

you wont get laughed at, there a cool little bike. i get compliments from teens and old alike. the seat height is only about an inch lower than the cbr125. and its much lighter for getting around on. the tyres are also wider (at the front)
its not going to light up timing boards, but around town its more than enough. and so far only 10mph slower than the cbr (62 versus 71 on a flat).
plus its 2.7k where as the cbr and yamaha mt125 are 3.8 and the yzf and duke are 4.4 and the new rc is 4.5

id say go for it

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It is going to be slower than a sports 125, since it has about 9.5 of the maximum allowed 14.5hp. That might not sound like much, but if your mates are riding around on YZF-R125s then you will find yourself getting left behind. I assume you won't be using motorways anyway, but if you do plan to then the MSX is sadly not the one for you.

The MSX is also pretty crappy at taking a passenger further than round the block. Now if you'll be riding on learner's license (CBT) then you can't take a passenger anyway, but if you're doing the full license then you might want to consider your GF now or in future.

If that stuff doesn't worry you, then the MSX is brilliant.

Lots of the guys and girls on here are full grown adults and experienced bikers with 'big bikes' in our pasts and current stables. I also own a 650 BMW but I walk past it on a daily basis to use the MSX for my urban commute. That said, if I wanted to ride 8 miles each way and was leaving town and heading out to a 60+mph road, I think I'd feel vulnerable on the little one, it's too slow for that.

One thing unites us here, and that's how ridiculously good you feel when riding the MSX. Everyone looks at you, and that's great. If you are the shy retiring type then get a CBF or YBR 125, the MSX won't suit you.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have ridden a passenger on the Grom just fine. A few times. And I am 200 pounds.
Me too, but you wouldn't want to go far like that. I'm about 70kg, my wife about 57kg. Even though we're both relatively small, it's a squeeze and not to mention the engine isn't really up to it, although the brakes are plenty good enough. If we're going far it's the BMW:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you are just replacing the scooter, I would say yes. If you are talking about a real bike, I would choose the CB300F.
Euro and UK regs these days means nothing over 125cc / 14.5bhp until you have your 19th birthday - even if you do take a full test. Pretty draconian but to be honest, I was once 17 and had a CB-1 which was restricted to the legal requirement of 33bhp. For about 3 months then I let it loose with the full 45 or so bhp. I wasn't safe at that age with that power.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since you asked here's what I say....if you want a very usable but fun bike that you only get positive attention from get the Grom. It's a blast to mod and cruise around on. If you need bigger forget the other mid-sized bikes and go straight to a full size. My first bike was a full size because I wanted to go further faster and it did but then after some yrs I backed down to the scoots and fun size just because most of my riding was done around town and they're more reasonably priced and are way more enjoyable!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's my verdict.

I'm 42, 75kg and been riding 20+ years, I also own and ride a GSXR600, which was bought as a replacement fun bike from a Suzuki Bandit 1200. I didn't wanna crud the Gixxer up riding get over winter, hence one if the reasons (plausible excuses to the wife) for buying a Grom.

I bought the Grom to commute, same distance as your looking at. I also ride mine up and down the motorway with no issue. Stock, it'll easily do 63mph flat out. Ok, so you'll be day in the inside lane, but once you get it on town roads, it's more than adequate.

The looks you'll get are more ones of curiosity and envy I would say than "WTF is that?", and let's face it, all bikers like attention don't we? It's why we ride - cuz we wanna be different, otherwise we'd all be driving cages to work/college.

It'll do around 120-150 miles to a full tank of juice, depending on how hard you ride it, and a full tank is about £5.50. Tax is £17 a year and the insurance will be relatively low as a 125. I can't comment being an experienced, old fart. My insurance is £53 a year, fully comp with legal cover and protected no claims.

Make no mistake about it, you'll transgress to a larger bike easier from a Grom than a scooter anyway, but it'll hold its resale value better, i would think.

In all honesty, a lot of Grom owners in the UK are from the older, more experienced end anyway. There's a totally different level of fun to be had on a Grom compared to say a bigger cc bike.

Think if it as trying to compare a track day to a day off roading.

Where in the UK are you? If you're anywhere near west Yorkshire, drop me a line and you can have a ride on mine to see, but i warn you now, once you've had a go, you'll deff want one.

Don't be fooled into thinking that once you pass your test, you need a 1000cc machine. There's more younger end bikers killed through inexperienced bigger Bikes and the power they harness. You don't need something that big to go fast. If you can ride, you can have just as much fun on a 250 Ninja as you can on a Grom, Gixxer 600 or 900 Blade. Build your experience up first.

Personally i find big Bikes a little mundane. My 600 is far more technical through correct gear selection than my 1200 Bandit. I just clicked the bandit into top gear and could do 30 or 120 without having to change up or down... yawn!

t: @M3D1C_Dan | YT/G+ : [email protected]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Euro and UK regs these days means nothing over 125cc / 14.5bhp until you have your 19th birthday - even if you do take a full test. Pretty draconian but to be honest, I was once 17 and had a CB-1 which was restricted to the legal requirement of 33bhp. For about 3 months then I let it loose with the full 45 or so bhp. I wasn't safe at that age with that power.
I had a BSA Shooting Star at 17. There are no restrictions in Texas. This is a great benefit for those in need of an organ transplant.
That thing was a wheelie monster.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I think this has definitely helped me to get a rough idea of what I want.

@M3D1C_Dan, Im from the south coast so I think I'll have to give it a miss but thanks for the offer :) also another quick question, when you said build up your experience, do you reckon it would be worth getting the A1 license and riding a 125cc for a good amount of years before moving onto something bigger like a 300? Thanks :)

Thanks all, Mike :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I think this has definitely helped me to get a rough idea of what I want.

@M3D1C_Dan, Im from the south coast so I think I'll have to give it a miss but thanks for the offer :) also another quick question, when you said build up your experience, do you reckon it would be worth getting the A1 license and riding a 125cc for a good amount of years before moving onto something bigger like a 300? Thanks :)

Thanks all, Mike :)
The A1 gets you on a 125 without L plates and lets you take a passenger. I am not sure if you then need another test to ride a 45hp bike after that?

At 17-19 you cannot get more than 125, but you'll be itching for something bigger within a couple of weeks.

In any case, the extra tuition that you get to pass your test is worth having and will help keep you safe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's a good question. When i did my CBT back in 1991, you could slap L plates on a 125 and that was that. Then they changed the law so the CBT had to be renewed every 2 years, but by this time I'd been riding for about 5 years anyway. I took the CBT but then did the theory, had a few lessons on a 600 and put in for my test.

I think having a smaller bike, you'll learn the basics better, and the rest (speed) you will perfect with experience. You'll work out what sort of a Biker you are and how much speed you actually need after that. Like i said previously, I've had big Bikes, small Bikes, naked and faired. It's all horses for courses. You could have a wobble on a bigger bike too soon that could put you off. Just look on eBay or gumtree how many'no longer biking' sales items are on there. Some of that is simply down to a bike letting the rider know who's inn charge, and they can be very unforgiving if you don't respect weekday a bike can do. Smaller Bikes keep that at a level in a lot of ways, but you can still paralyze yourself if you fuck up.

If you wanna chat Mike, drop me a PM. I'm more than happy to go over anything you may wanna fire at me.

Alternatively, you could register with www.Bikething.co.uk and get a lot of truly sensible advice from guys who've just come out of where you are just heading.

t: @M3D1C_Dan | YT/G+ : [email protected]

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you have to ask then don't do anything. Do plenty of research, test ride different bikes, and i'm sure you'll find a bike that you can truly enjoy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
right, id say get the 125. do another cbt which will get you to the 19 year old restriction for the a2. take that, and either stick with the 125, or move up.

there really is no point in doing the a1 if you have even a thought of wanting something bigger.

im 29, did my cbt for the first time 2 years ago (nearly) really dont want the DAS test (too many friends in accidents recently and i want to be around to see my daughter grow up) have considered the a2 test so if i ever need to commute more on motorways i can get a 250/300, but at the moment the 125 test is looking like a good way to go for me.

rules at the moment say you must redo the 2 practical tests if you want to move up from a1/a2/das. more money grabbing

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm planning on getting the MSX as my first bike, sometime in Feb/March next year, even though I am 25! I fell in love with the wee MSX and will be keeping it, which is why I am buying a new one. Personally I would say do your A1 licence as soon as you can, you can do it on your own 125 so you don't have to upgrade straight away. Once you have your A1 it begins your 2 year "new driver" probationary period. Which helps with insurance and such.

My plan is to get the MSX as my commuter/going around town bike. And once I have done my bike big test, I'll get either a CCM 450 adventure, or if I can find a lowered BMW G or F650GS (as I am short...), for going on longer trips out. Until I get a bigger bike, I will just get on the back of my partners R1150GSA as it is lovely and comfy! :-D

If you are only going to be going around town and very occasionally on nation speed limit roads, then I can't see why you would need to upgrade to a bigger bike. Many like to though :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im 35yrs and currently have a GSXR 1000 k6 and will be getting rid of it and getting the grom.
Been riding for 15yrs since the year 2000
Will get a much cheaper bigger bike for the occasional blast with mates but my grom will be my everything

1 - 20 of 23 Posts