Honda Grom banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ever take a couple links out of the chain after it breaks in a little to make the wheelbase a little shorter?

·
Vendor
1,806 Posts
Thats not a chain breaking in, that's a cheap chain wearing out. The only time to remove links is when changing sprocket sizes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So what if your sprocket combo puts you at the next to the last hashmark with the chain adjusted properly? Just throw the chain out after it stretches a quarter of an inch? Like if you put a 14T on a brand new bike, you couldn't remove two links right away but you probably could after a running a few tanks of gas through it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As mnnthbx stated, a quality chain wouldn't stretch that much.

Going from 15T to 14T would not require removing a link, let alone two.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can't really remove just one link unless you have a special half link made for that purpose. I know it's not necessary to remove two links to run a 14T sprocket, I was just asking if anyone does it to get a little bit shorter wheelbase. According to gearing commander, 14 34 gearing with a 2 link shorter chain moves the sprocket distance .38" closer. There might not be enough adjustment to do it with a brand new chain and sprockets (maybe there is, I don't have new parts right now to check) but there would be after things wear in a bit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can inspect the chain and measure it with a chain stretch gauge. As long as it remains in spec, you shouldn't have any issues shortening it to maintain a shorter wheelbase. The problem arises when you stop measuring stretch and simply think you can keep adjusting because you have room to slide it back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts