Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just use the limiter as a good indicator.

Reactions: ShapeShifter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why do you need an idicator, just shift up till you can't any more...

Reactions: jmzd4

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got some negative mofo's on this site. Got something mean to say just keep it to yourself. Personally I would like a shift indicator light sorry if that upsets some people.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Two advantages of a gear indicator: 1) you don't find yourself squeezing the clutch every few minutes and trying to upshift when you are already in 4th gear and more importantly 2) There is no slipper clutch and especially new riders might think they are in 4th when they are really in 2nd and downshift and let the clutch out when they are going 40-50 mph. As you know that will cause some severe engine braking. It would result in the rear wheel locking and moving the bike sideways and likely cause a crash if you were doing it in a turn. That is one of the main reasons Kawa put a slipper clutch on the Ninja 300. These are beginner bikes and beginners make mistakes. I like gear indicators myself or a slipper clutch would be even better.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Take it anyway you want, I could care less if I offend or up set you. This is the interboobs so get over it. So I'll just say this: an indicator is just something else to make yourself reliable upon, and things like that have a tendency to fail. I'm not hating on anyone, I'm just saying the more you got on there, the more there is to fail.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Just like with my truck, after a while you learn what gear you are in by how fast you are going and vice versa. Sure it takes time but it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Got some negative mofo's on this site.
Sensitive ones too

I thought about a gear indicator until I put some miles on it and now I just ride and shift accordingly, there's only 4 gears and 1st is never an option about 15mph so more like 3 gears, not enough pull? drop a gear, you feel it vibrating your nuggets off? Shift up.. The less you think about what gear your in and more about how well the bike is powering itself, you'll never think twice about what gear you're in

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
In all seriousness, I put a gear indicator on my 6 speed DL650 because some of the roads I cruise on the weekends have long sweeping back and forth twisites that go up and down hills. These roads make me work the gears a lot and I often forget my gear or would like to confirm it at a glance (golly there's 6 of them).

However the indicator unit I got has a microsecond delay after the gear is changed and that microsecond is exactly when I need to quickly glance down at it. I mean it is a millisecond delay and when leaned far over on a downhill apex about to go up over a fast opposite on a blind hill, that millisecond is 1 millisecond too long to be glancing down at your clocks.

The indicator is therefore useless for what I bought it for, so I just use the traditional nugget/brain method most of the time on that bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts