Honda Grom banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not sure the point? I dont see a need for a dry clutch. I hate the sound of the ducatis with it but thats me I guess. Maybe someone will chime in with the point of it?

·
Registered
938 Posts
JDMchris that is the only benefit I can see is the less oil contamination. I highly doubt the the micro fibers from the clutch do any sort of damage to an engine.

I just dont see the benefit otherwise more manufacturers would make their bikes come dry clutch. Expecially the high end stuff like gsxr, zx, yzf, rm, and any other race bike dirt or street.

With that said the dry clutch looks cool it would just drive me insane from the sound.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Ducati Monster (and it's up for sale!). I loathe the dry-clutch. That to me is one of the biggest downsides of that bike. Sound is unappealing and very loud, clutch engagement takes more effort for smooth application, and the friction zone is much narrower due to no fluid between the flywheel and clutch assembly before engagement. When they get hot (like in stop and go traffic), they can start to squeal as well. It's cool when the covers are open, and you can see a part of the engine in operation. However, the form doesn't outweigh the function for me. I'll take a wet clutch any day of the week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the sound of my dry clutch on my hyper! Would love one on the grom. Dry clutch for life !

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I had a dry clutch on my first Harley. Didn't really care for it.

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

·
Registered
119 Posts
After seeing this thing in person, it's a effing sexy piece of cnc beauty. Can't help but appreciate the time it took to create this and I personally love the sound. Not meant for the feint of wallet but worth every penny. Kevin @ steady garage can hook you up if you're interetsed. I was there when they were installing Garry the snail and Slevin's dry clutch.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Very cool. the benefit is also no windage drag in the oil = HP saver.
Living with one in extended stop and go sucks ass, i dont care what anybody says. they get grabby and just not fun. ive seen people adapt dry clutches to rd's off of tz's and the same on h1 &h2's, they are also being reproduced. Track or ultimate bling, sure... daily rider no way.

HOWEVER on the grom (my use) it would be fun for sure. Not sure of the price but Im sure its up there. beautiful work for sure.

I had a dry clutch on my first Harley. Didn't really care for it.

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net
Have a dry clutch on my moto morini... its quiet but its also behind a cover. you take the cover iff: it sounds like a ducati. Or a cement mixer. Personally i do like the sound.

·
Registered
77 Posts
While I can appreciate the engineering and CNC... I think it's dumb. It's a 9 hp bike, and "Oil Contamination" isn't going to be an issue. Besides... motorcycles went to wet clutches a LONG time ago for a reason. They stay a lot more constant... and if you are slipping it, to find a little extra power... they don't overheat, and warp.

I haven't checked the price of this beautiful part... but I'm guessing it's worth more than the original bike cost.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
2k? yeah that is pricey. The H2R ones are even cheaper than that. Nice though. But 66% of the cost of the bike? thats on par with the turbo kits (that produce the same HP as a BBK). I dotn see many of these selling. maybe in the 750-800 price range.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It honestly isn't for everyone, it's not practical, it's expensive, and like 'm in sc' said almost 66% of the cost of the bike.

Is it badass and a very well engineered piece of aluminum ? FUCK YEA

Does it sounds badass ? FUCK YEA

Does it make all the little grom-a-philes throw their wet boxers at you... wait what...

It's a huge chunk of change to spend on a cheap bike, but so is $500 for an ohlins rear shock or $1,500 for a mnnthbx front end. All that matters to me is that I can go out to the garage at the end of the day and smile when I look at my Grom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts