Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to see behind me when changing lanes or just making sure no one in the cage is coming up on me with out paying attention "TEXTING" so I like good mirrors. I tried the after market mirrors and they seem to vibrate more than those OEM mirrors. I haven't tried end bar mirrors plus those stick out enough to cause problems when splitting lanes.

Anyone else noticed that cool sleek mirrors really do nothing but vibrate and make it impossible to see behind you plus put a dent in your wallet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I dont like oem mirrors. I dont see clear with them... I put bar end rizoma mirrors and they work ok, but as you say it makes it harder to go through cars...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like the oem bug-antenna mirrors, they are distinctive on the stock Grom.

Been looking for a higher quality mirror with the same look, my buddy has some on his 1978 Honda CX500 but I am not sure if they are OEM from back in the day or what.

The CB300 mirrors look nice too but i'm not sure if they fit.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The oem mirrors don't allow me (or anyone else I know) to see anything behind me...all I see are my shoulders. Even if they vibrate less, they are useless as stock. Maybe they would work better with mirror extenders. I have wider mirrors with the extenders and I can see everything behind me now. Much safer for all the situations you mentioned

I will say, though, splitting lanes isn't something I can do legally, so I don't have that clearance problem with my aftermarket mirrors that are wider. It would be nice if we had lane splitting on the east coast

·
Registered
106 Posts
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=370393194232&alt=web

I got these and they work good and hold their position and don't vibrate much.
Looks the same as the ones I bought: Amazon.com: Neverlandback® Pair of Stealth Style Motorcycle Mirrors - Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Victory: Automotive

They look great - like what OEM should've been. I don't notice any more vibration than stock. Much improved viewing range. No problems lane splitting.

Note: If you do order those, choose Hoosier garage as the seller because their mirrors have the thicker stem.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Looks the same as the ones I bought: Amazon.com: Neverlandback® Pair of Stealth Style Motorcycle Mirrors - Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Victory: Automotive

They look great - like what OEM should've been. I don't notice any more vibration than stock. Much improved viewing range. No problems lane splitting.

Note: If you do order those, choose Hoosier garage as the seller because their mirrors have the thicker stem.

Dang man! I wish I had seem them on Amazon thats a bit cheaper than what I paid. Oh well still happy with mine. They are a lot better looking than stock and work better.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the stock mirrors at just a bit lower angle would be ideal. Anyone tried bending them?
remove the mirror from the arm, now using a torch heat up the mirror arm till you can bend it to your liking with a hollow pipe or something that won't burn your hand while bending the heated mirror arm and when you get it the way you want reinstall the mirror head and you are good to go.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I think the stock mirrors at just a bit lower angle would be ideal. Anyone tried bending them?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing this afternoon. Was contemplating taking a whack at it myself, just don't know if they'll bend or snap if I try to bend em. Anybody done this yet?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking the EXACT same thing this afternoon. Was contemplating taking a whack at it myself, just don't know if they'll bend or snap if I try to bend em. Anybody done this yet?
Has been done, use a torch to heat up the arm and slowly bend to desired angle, you can also remove the arm from the grom and put the arm inside a vise grip or anvil and lock it down and heat the arm and slowly bend it to your liking.

Good luck on DIY

·
Banned
489 Posts
Yeah bar end mirrors won't work, I park in my house (no wife to piss off although I am accepting applications for the position), and it has to fit through the door. Unless I find some that actively fold inwards when needed. I also want usable function over style. At least until I can find something that does both. Rode by the Ducati dealer today, friend is a mechanic over there. Didn't go in but looked at the bikes. Looking for something in real Carbon Fiber but won't pull trigger unless I see it in person so may take awhile.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
the problem with a lot of the aftermarket mirrors on market is the poor design/tolerances of the ball and joint and material selection. in my opinion, these contribute to vibrations. if you want a quality aftermarket mirror, there will be a cost. in my hunt of mirrors, so far i have come to like the bike master lined shovel.

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Lined-Shovel-Tube-Mirror/dp/B0068G0EZ6

it has the furthest extension of any hand control mounted mirror that i have tried thus there is no need to use a riser/extension. i'm able to see behind me well yet it doesn't protrude like a bar-end so lane splitting is not a problem (got to love california for that!). the ball and joint can be tightened with a wrench thus keeping vibrations to a minimum. as a matter fact, i don't notice vibrations. quality cnc machining with painted or powdered finish.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
as mentioned, heat and bend. you'll probably want to paint the arm as it may become discolored due to the heat.

i got a propane torch, want to give it a try! you can have my lollipops if it comes out bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah bar end mirrors won't work, I park in my house (no wife to piss off although I am accepting applications for the position), and it has to fit through the door. Unless I find some that actively fold inwards when needed. I also want usable function over style. At least until I can find something that does both. Rode by the Ducati dealer today, friend is a mechanic over there. Didn't go in but looked at the bikes. Looking for something in real Carbon Fiber but won't pull trigger unless I see it in person so may take awhile.
The CRG bar end arrow mirrors fold nicely. They use ball detents to hold the mirror in a few positions. I rotate them upwards against the grips and can wheel the bike through a 32" door. I would buy the same mirrors again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts