Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Grom was first announced as the MSX 125 what seemed like years ago, I said to myself "Golly... If this makes it stateside, I want to be first in line for one". Then, The Grom Was announced for us and I about had a stroke. Now the love affair has worn off and i've caught myself thinking again. I'm having a hard time justifying buying a GROM over building a Brat/Bobber/Tracker/Cafe bike. I could buy a decent bike to start with for WAY less, and then upgrade it to where I'd like it over time. Sure the warranty of a new grom sounds good, but that'll be shitcanned soon enough with what I'd do with it. In the end, to me, it looks like a really "Neat" bike, with HUGE potential, but the dealerships are playing us with hyped up prices and downpayment wars. I may still get a grom, but I don't think I need to be one of the first. My struggle really is the same problem I've got with buying a Zuma 125. It's a nice bike, but do I really need to own another bike that can't get on the highway legally or safely? I might just wait till they hit showrooms and test ride one. If I fall in love and there's one available, I may buy it, but I'm probably not going to drop a deposit on one at this point.

What do yall think? Any arguments towards just getting one? I'd like to finish my scooter too, and at the same time I'd like to have something faster. I could GY6 my scooter, but I'd want a daily driver then as I have little faith in a chinese built motor.

Please, by all means, try convincing me that buying a grom is still a good idea (For me), but do so with words. I've seen 99% of the pictures online by this point, and I agree, it's a handsome bike with likable qualities, Just not sure it's the right bang for my buck anymore.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I dont have any second thoughts at all. I put my money down and I am getting one. I have no doubt I will love it. I have been riding a VERY long time and I know a fun bike when I see it. I sat back when they had MB5s and YSR50s and those killer little CB400s and the 647 Hawk. Not this time. I'm not missing out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
im having 0 second thoughts. this is exactly what ive been wanting in a bike for a long time. yes, i could buy a sportbike/bobber/3 cb750's for the same price.... but is that what i want? no. i want a small, light, incredibly reliable, easily upgradable fun fun fun bike that has a manual clutch. this fits the bill perfectly. $300 and toss a 150 kit on it. that should be a perfect amount of power. if not spend $700 and get the 180 and head. tons of power! i like the ruckus but no clutch and stupid slow unless you toss a china engine on it (really defeats the purpose) and then incredibly unreliable.

as for right bang for the buck... that makes no sense to me. lets see if we can get close to the value you get with a grom..... lets start with a cheap ct70. $500 (good luck finding onw at that price with a title). restore it because the paint/tires/bearings/rubber/stickers are 40 years old. add at least another $500. now, power. 70cc isnt crap, lets get the groms little brothers engine, the nice 110cc. Nice engines & parts Motor City Mini Trails bam. $2000 with shipping. that gets you a new with 0 gofast parts. (we are already at the grom msrp) now you have a 1970 bike with a 1990's engine, with drum brakes, pogo stick forks and terrible shocks..... another 2-3 grand and you can upgrade to hydraulic disc front and rear and fix the terrible front end....... so you see.... starting out with 3g and getting hydraulic disc, 12" aluminum wheels, a killer engine... thats EFI..... waayyyyyyy worth it

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I'm buying mine for commuting reasons, I love Rucks and scoots but they're a bit impractical for outrunnin traffic and I've done the gy6 thing before.. Never again

For the money and where you're at from a starting point, it can't be beat.. The highway thing here doesn't bug me really as every major +55mph road has some sort of older back road that parallels it, that and our minimum highway speed for 70mph is 40, legally I could smash down the interstate on a bone stock ruck lol not that I'm crazy enough to but I'm perfect allowed to
too

I do agree that the glitter has worn off but I still want one as much as I did when I first saw the MSX vid back in Dec I think it was

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of good points guys. Here's some background for you.

I've got a Metuckus (Half met, half ruckus) 50cc (GET) cruizing a solid 47 and topping 59.
I've also got a Gigantisaurus Rex Harley Road king that I never ride. (bought from my dad, he still rides it. It's plenty powerful, but a heavy Monday-Friday bike and pointless to ride a mile and back each day. It takes longer to properly warm it up.)

I've considered GY6'ing my metuckus but i'd HAVE to have a daily then, and honestly, my daily would be the "slow reliable". If I get a GROM, the Metuckus will be the "Show Bike", get the fancy shit, and the grom will be the new knock-about. In Texas, Highway legal means no less than 250cc's regardless of capable speed. I'm not really too concerned about that as I avoid highways for the most part unless I'm in a car.

I guess the true appeal of this bike is really it's size/weight. I'd feel comfortable blasting through an open field with this... Not my roadking. What do yall suspect the 150cc upgrade kit to be worth, speed wise?

·
Registered
677 Posts
i bet with exhaust, tuning, and bore.... easily a 5-9mph gain at least.... but a LOT more grunt on the bottom. id be happy if i got 0 more mph and could pull the front wheel easily 1st and 2nd

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
i bet with exhaust, tuning, and bore.... easily a 5-9mph gain at least.... but a LOT more grunt on the bottom. id be happy if i got 0 more mph and could pull the front wheel easily 1st and 2nd
With sproket tuning and a solid tuck you'd probably see 80mph.. The Wave guys are getting an indicated 140kmh with a 150cc

·
Registered
11 Posts
:eek: holy shiz!

If your not holding up traffic, why would the police have a reason to pull you over? The only pull overs we see in Manitoba are for aftermarket/illegal parts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Urban police serve tickets as means for city revenue.

here's an apples vs oranges question, if I can buy a Zuma125 (used) for $1999 at a dealership, what makes the from worth the extra grand and a half?

·
Registered
677 Posts
yamaha... 2 stroke... twist and go... slow.

honda... 4stroke... manly clutch...peppy. apples to oranges. you are compaing a scooter to a motorcycle

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
yamaha... 2 stroke... twist and go... slow.

honda... 4stroke... manly clutch...peppy. apples to oranges. you are compaing a scooter to a motorcycle
Z125 is a stout 4t air cooled

Warranty is the only perk because at this point, Zuma parts are cake tto come by and getting more popular every day.. I think it'll come down to if you want a Bike or a Scooter, speed wise they're about the same, The Grom will probably get better fuel economy

·
Registered
677 Posts
whaaaa? i thought it was 2t. that makes it even weaker. lol. 2t 125 cvt sounds interesting. 4t 125 CVT sounds terrible

·
Registered
677 Posts
Air cooled makes all the difference. Ruck would really benefit from it. Big bore like no other.

But still. Big bore grom>*

1 - 20 of 53 Posts