Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was pointed out to me that the seat height for the Grom is a little bit higher then the Ruckus. I didn't pay too much mind to it, but now that I've thought about it I remembered that I was already on my tip toes with the stock ruckus height and the Zuma I couldn't fit at all.

Ruckus: 28.9 inches
Grom: 29.7 inches
Zuma: 30.7 inches

For those riders out there that already have one can you give me a little insight? I'm scared to finally get the call that mine is here only to go sit on one and not fit it. :/ My problem is that I don't have much body weight to bring the bike down a little when I sit on it so that's usually my dilemma.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm 6 feet tall, but I have baby legs. :D

I haven't convinced my wife to get on it yet, but she's 5 feet tall and I think she will be able to reach. Since you are short, you will sit on the correct spot for seating position, which means you'll be closer to the ground. It's also more narrow there.

If it doesn't fit there are things you can do to lower it a bit. Shorter shock, slide the forks down on the TT's a little bit. Both are pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the assurance! Yeah with the Zuma the width of the seat wouldn't allow my feet to touch the ground. I'm 5'3" if anyone wants to put their g/f or wife on and let me know...hehehehe. Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You should sit on it before you buy it. Seat ht. numbers can be a little deceiving. In addition to sinking in, which doesn't sound like it happens much with the Grom, on a scooter you can jump off the seat and forward, but the Grom is a motorcycle and you can't do that. They say the seat is narrow, and that will help you as will the fact there is no platform like on most scooters that make you splay your feet a bit out to the side. Getting on will be a little easier than a center stand that actually lifts the seat because motorcycles lean toward the kickstand. even more so if you turn the handlebars all the way to the left. Just make sure you have your right hand on the brake as you swing your leg over so if you catch the seat, the bike can't move forward releasing the kick stand. The light weight is a factor in your advantage. Wear some tall shoes when you sit on it, which I'm sure you already do to ride. It is going to be close, but I think the seat will be a little tall for you without lowering it. I haven't read about lowering links for the Grom, but there must be one somewhere. Nobody would expect you to buy a bike that is too tall for you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us remember that contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be able to flat foot the bike, just support it.
Yeah with most of my other bikes I was never really flat foot, but more on the ball of my feet. Only the lowered ruckus was I ever completely flat foot on a bike/scooter. I want to sit on one asap so I can decide to move on from the Grom and get something else or wait around until it's my turn on the list.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Ok, I just went and asked my mother how tall she is. She is five foot tall exactly and she was able to touch on the balls of her feet. So there is a good chance you will be just fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah. No excuse not to buy it. None. No worries. My first suggestion is to find a bench or two where you can stand at home while getting on and taking off. Next, when you stop, plan your strategy to stop at a high curb where you can hold the bike up. When you return home, land on your original bench. We sometimes must use this method when kick starting dirt bikes. Plus, the Grom has electric start! It's all good.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. No excuse not to buy it. None. No worries. My first suggestion is to find a bench or two where you can stand at home while getting on and taking off. Next, when you stop, plan your strategy to stop at a high curb where you can hold the bike up. When you return home, land on your original bench. We sometimes must use this method when kick starting dirt bikes. Plus, the Grom has electric start! It's all good.
lmfao!!!

And thanks @ LateLA for you and your moms help. For mother's day make sure you get her something great from us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 5'2 110 pounds, able to almost flat foot both feet. You should be able to flat foot if you wore some riding boots; I was just in shoes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Hunny.
As already stated, the Ruckus has a lot wider seat than the Grom
So the 1" extra in seat height will be lost because you won't be so straddled.
FYI my wife is also 5ft3", and she is fine on it, flat footed both sides.
She did initially say it felt taller.
But after doing a comparison test with both bikes,
decided sitting on them was almost identical as far as the feet down was concerned.

Dog

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yeah with most of my other bikes I was never really flat foot, but more on the ball of my feet. Only the lowered ruckus was I ever completely flat foot on a bike/scooter. I want to sit on one asap so I can decide to move on from the Grom and get something else or wait around until it's my turn on the list.
Just wear stripper heels. That's an extra 7 inches right there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to have a BMW G650 X Challenege. Seat high was very high. Just used my tip toes. No biggy. Once you are rolling its fine.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Dj,

With my zuma 50 stock. I would need to reposition myself when I needed for my toes to touch the ground. While riding I would scoot my bottom toward the rear of zuma.

I'm also 5'3" and have felt no need to reposition when riding. My feet are not flat on the ground like when riding my friends rebel, but the ball of my feet are on the ground instead of just the tips of my toes.

You going to love the grom!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Rider confidence and experience is huge with ht. issues. A new rider who can just touch the toes of their feet will have trouble stopping on a hill, backing out, or if they need to lean to the left as they stop and happen to put that foot down on a little sand or rocks, down they go. Until you get balance and experience, seat ht. is very important. I would not recommend a new rider buy a bike if they can't get both feet flat or nearly flat on the ground. An experienced rider is different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sat on it and could HARDLY reach - to stand it up I had to have help. I ordered a stretch/4.5 lowering link from Composimo a week before I bought my Grom and as soon as it got in the garage we started at it. With the stretch/lowering it I can pretty much flat foot it. I'm 5ft with a 26 inch inseam, the only other thing I've found I can fit on well is a klx110 :p

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm 5'7 and I can't even flat foot it perfectly if my butt is far enough back to be riding it properly... but who cares about that anyway it's so light. Just take your butt off the seat when you stop. I also have a bike with a 37" seat height, I can't even tiptoe it. Not really a big deal, just get halfway off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts