Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
because they just moved up one spot in the dealer queue.

I called and placed my deposit on a Grom about seven weeks ago at a semi-local Honda Power Dealer. "We've got a list of people who want to be called when the Groms come in, but no hard deposits yet. You get your choice of color, and the first one in the door is yours". Sweet. I called the salesman twice over that seven week period to see if he had heard anything, and emphasized on the second call that I wanted to receive a black Grom in the crate. "Why do you want it in the crate?". "Because I don't want one that the shop staff have been wheelying and doing stoppies on out behind the shop". "Okay".

I started bouncing around here on Hondagrom.net and other forums on Thurs Aug 15 when there were reports of the bikes starting to arrive. I was anxious because this is the first new bike I've bought in 20 years, and because we were leaving very early morning on the 17th to go out of state on vacation. "When the bike comes in, we'll call you".

Friday comes and goes, and no word from the dealer. I took the day off from work in order to get ready for vacation, and had a relaxed day.
Saturday morning Aug 17th we're on the road two states away when my phone rings at 10am. Its my sales guy and he says (you guessed it...) "your bike is HERE!".

I explained to him that we were on our way out of town for a week of vacation, and the earliest I can pick it up it Monday Aug 26. He confirms that its still in the crate, verbally confirms the date, and he even texts me a photo of the bike in the crate, back in the warehouse/ shop. I told him to put it in a corner in the shop, forget about it, and I'd be in on Monday 28th to get it. "Okay". I ask him when they came in. "They came in yesterday" (Friday, the day which I had nothing major going on). I ask him why he didn't call me, and he says "I was off yesterday. The other two buyers came and got theirs. Yours is the only one left". (Note: I THINK that the other two buyers must have seen them on Facebook or been on their "call list". I don't do Facebook, and didn't see that they had come in.

On Tuesday afternoon I get a call from him.

"We took it out of the crate. Do you still want it?".
WHAT?!?! "Why did you do that?"
"Sales manager told me to. We have some locals who want to see it, so we put it out on the floor. Do you still want it?".
"No. I told you that I wanted it in the crate, you agreed, and I am the only one confident enough that I wanted it to actually put money down and wait".
So he says "We're working with the regional Honda rep to get another black crated one in here for you".
Huh? No dealer is going to have "extra Groms" sitting around.
"Yeah, sorry".

I went in yesterday (Mon 08/26) because I was in the area for work, and made sure that my deposit was refunded. I ask the sales mgr why nobody called me on Friday 16th when the bikes came in. "we just didn't think about it. Sorry".
One person puts a hard deposit on a sought-after bike, the other two bikes in the shipment fly out the door the same day that they come in, and NOBODY in a Power Dealer dealership thinks to give the deposit guy a phone call? Amazing. Big dealership physically, but on the occasions that I've been in there, they have never been very busy.

I figured that they probably sold "my bike" early last week to one of the locals who were so anxious to see one.
Nope. Sold it Saturday the 26th to a buyer from Indiana. "we sold all three to out of state buyers". (They rec'd three in the shipment, two black and one red). Saved themselves one day (sold Sat, closed Sun, and I would have picked it up Mon).

On the bright side, a buyer from Indiana just moved up one spot in the queue and will get the next Grom that this dealer receives.

And I've still got $3500 in my pocket (figuratively).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dealer isn't in Indiana, but buyer(s) are/ were. I'm not naming the dealer.

<<Doubt you will find one before mid 2014 now. Bummer>>
Nah, I'm out. Though the Grom seems like a blast, I can't really justify it. I'm 6'0", 240 lbs, and would like like the proverbial "gorilla humping a beach ball", plus we don't live "in town" which I think is where the Grom will shine.

Thinks happen for a reason, and there's a reason that this all fell apart on so many levels (which could have been avoided with one phone call on a Friday...).

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Dealer isn't in Indiana, but buyer(s) are/ were. I'm not naming the dealer.

<<Doubt you will find one before mid 2014 now. Bummer>>
Nah, I'm out. Though the Grom seems like a blast, I can't really justify it. I'm 6'0", 240 lbs, and would like like the proverbial "gorilla humping a beach ball", plus we don't live "in town" which I think is where the Grom will shine.

Thinks happen for a reason, and there's a reason that this all fell apart on so many levels (which could have been avoided with one phone call on a Friday...).
Kind of figured there was a bit of a "back story" to this. Most guys would not walk just because the dealer uncrated the bike. I weigh more than you and I am having a blast on mine. But I can go for 10+ miles in any direction and never hit a road with a speed limit over 50. The Grom works great in my hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have held up to my end of the deal. I didn't cause a reason to walk, I walked because I don't want to give my money to a dealer which I feel screwed me over by not living up the our agreement. I was pissed for a couple of days, then thought, "Meh. Whatever" and moved on. The buzz was squashed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You didnt buy it because it was out of crate? lol
When i went to pick up mine i just figured there would be at least 3-4 miles on it.
It being the 1st one in southern Oregon that was just given. When i got there it only had 0.3 miles
I told the sales man, I'm shocked there was not many miles on it. he said it got moved around a few places
but not actually left the parking lot. I'm ok with that. comes with a 1 year warranty..

When you passed on it for not being on a crate did you not have any idea how hard they are going to get? lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Someone who works at a dealership might correct me here but I was told Honda won't allow dealers to sell bikes in the crates...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, Not allowed to sell bikes In crate

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think he wanted in a crate. Just didnt want it outta the crate for a week while he was on vacation so wasn't a "shop toy"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
25 Posts
You screwed yourself....

If I was your dealer I would have hung up on you the second you said leave it in the crate. It's their's to advertise, promote sales, and show off until you pick it up. You don't get to make demands.

Sorry to be an ass but I worked at a Honda dealer for all through high school and tech school. We laughed at people like you.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Haha I wish mine had .3 or 3-4 miles.

When i was signing my paperwork that said 1 mile, when I sat on it for the first before I put it on my truck. It had 9 miles!!!

Talk about joy riding!

This reminds of a customer that once bought a camcorder from me. he seemed very anxious to get it and i knew that he was going to use later that evening after picking it up from me.

FYI, Most stores wouldn't pick up items for customers. They would make the customer go to another location get it or have it shipped in. My store was a smaller volume so every sale counted. So I would regularly pick things up for customers just to make the sale.

After i got back, I thought, if he was going to the event directly after leaving my store, he wouldn't be able to record the event since batteries are never fully charged out of the box. Most people don't know that batteries do not come fully charged!

I thought i was doing him a favor, by charging the battery for him. When he came to pick it up, he was livid... He assumed, I was trying to pass off something used/demo as new, when i was only trying to take the initiative and be helpful. The camcorder was still in the box. I ended up refunding the purchase because I didn't like his accusations, after only trying to be helpful.

From that moment forward, i rarely took the initaitive unless i got permission first. It just wasn't worth the headache because some people are get weird about the littlest things.

PS. Thought of another one. You know those factory screen protectors that have words all over them when you buy a new cell phone? yeah i got chewed out for removing one of those. It wasn't going to be a present and he was going to use the phone right away. But HE wanted to remove the screen protector... not by me!

I can't believe you passed up on a grom because it was taken out of them crate, and i bet the person that bought it is having a great time with it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You screwed yourself....

If I was your dealer I would have hung up on you the second you said leave it in the crate. It's their's to advertise, promote sales, and show off until you pick it up. You don't get to make demands.

Sorry to be an ass but I worked at a Honda dealer for all through high school and tech school. We laughed at people like you.
The dealer didn't have to take his deposit or make the sale to him. However, they decided to do so and they should have honored the agreement they made otherwise they should not have made it. He's free to demand whatever he wants from the dealer. The dealer is free to tell him no. However, the dealer is not free to say yes, accept his money and then proceed to do the complete opposite.

Sorry, thats now hot honorable people operate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's correct on both... They aren't allowed to sell them in crates ( but it doesn't stop some dealers, thers plenty of them that sell 250&450s in crates all the time ie Capitol city cycle ). And yes every bike is supposed to get a pre delivery Inspection sheet( I filled out 2 when I prepped my Groms).

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealer didn't have to take his deposit or make the sale to him. However, they decided to do so and they should have honored the agreement they made otherwise they should not have made it. He's free to demand whatever he wants from the dealer. The dealer is free to tell him no. However, the dealer is not free to say yes, accept his money and then proceed to do the complete opposite.

fair enough, you make good points. I guess I wouldn't put a deposit down at a dealership I didn't trust. Mine had 15 miles on it before I left the dealership but I told everyone the keys were in it... Go nuts. Most people that work at dealerships work there cause they love bikes. And a great percentage of them know 50 times more than the general public. If you can't trust them with your bike... Who can you.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Agreed! The Dealer was hedging bets by taking the deposit. Once they had the bike in stock and saw that there was a demand, the Sales Manager probably made the decision in his mind "screw that guy if he cannot be here to pick it up, it is mine to show off until he does." I have heard of many dealerships (auto) that field calls on cars they sold days or even weeks before only to tell the interested party to "Of course we have it, come on down." Shady dealings.

If they are not interested in holding their word, then they will be paid what is due to them.

Thinking that it would be the "shop toy" is probably a little precautionary, but to each his own. I perhaps think too much of people in the first place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts