Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone can input on this right now or not.

My desire to run Dunlop TT92/3's is high but they are only offered in 90, 100, and 120.

stock Grom tires are 120/70/12 front and 130/70/12 rear.

better to do 120/80/12 dunlops front and rear?

or stagger with

100/80/12 front and 120/80/12 rear?

I'm wary of going down two sizes in the front, but bumping the thickness one size.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The only thing I have ever done with bike tires is go a little wider in the rear on several of my bikes. Im talking like one size up. Never had any issues with that. It sounds like the factory rubber is junk anyway so you will probably be better off no matter what sizes you go with .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would go same size.... 2 Down on a rim that is tubeless I feel would compromise the sidewalls of the tire being as the bead would be pushed out just as wide as tire... I Guess it dont matter if its tubeless or not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, two sizes down in front is a bit much. If the tt93's only had a 110 I'd be content, haha.

Guess I'll try running 120 front and rear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let us know how it works out if you go the Dunlop route. I run two front TT93 100/80/12s on my motard since the rims are so narrow and I'm definitely interested to hear about running two rears on the Grom.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't see any probs with running a 120 on the rear
I did this to my Ruckus before my trip last year
Ruckus is also 120 front 130 rear, but in a 10" dia
It actually improved the acceleration because of the slightly lower gearing
I'm not sure 100's on the front is so good, 20mm drop is a bit of a step
Having said that, I do have a 150 on a 10" wide rim on the back of my rat scoot
Defo pushing the envelope, but no obvious problems

FYI I'm considering going to a 130 on the front of mine.
I like Mich Boppers.

Dog

·
Registered
659 Posts
Since Vespa uses the same size tires as the Grom, there is a lot of info on Modern Vespa. The popular tire seems to be the lighter weight Michelin Power Pure, especially for the front.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hipari/ tire stretch isn;t the issue but gping down that much in size is a bit much less yer goin for that drag bike look

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think I'm probably the only one that saw the stock tires on the Grom for the first time and thought, wow, those are huge! I'm guess I'm too used to minis with very narrow profiles.

Something slightly smaller and lighter would probably be ideal, but I'm not close to testing the limits of the stock tires yet. I need to install more delrin and probably some rear sets before scrubbing off those chicken strips.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I like where this thread is going. I, too, have been debating on Power Pure, or TT92 and have been weighing the options of the sizes listed. Keep the input going! Another option is the Michelin City Grip - these are offered in OE Grom sizes

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check my build thread. I went with a square setup. 120/80/12 front and rear, just flipped the front tread.

Bike is noticeably taller which is awesome, pitches over easier and has .5" more height and clearance before touching the pegs. Haven't had a chance to hit the canyons yet, hopefully today or tomorrow.

Weighed the stockers vs the dunlops. Although the rear is smaller the totalweight is 2 lbs heavier on the dunlops.

The Dunlop rear has about 1.5" more circumference. Meaning I theoretically have a higher top speed if I can manage to get the damn bike into the powerband, waiting on a 14T front sprocket now to fully test these badboys out.

Also, I bought a set if cbr600 stock pegs. They slip rght in for our stockers, much better feel then the rubber squishy ones. More clearance to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you buy a set of front and rear Dunlop tt92 they have them noted to be opposite. Ie. 100/80/12 front and 120/80/12 tt92.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
246 Posts
The SAVA's I used on the CRF were 120's front and rear. I don't think you'll lose anything (Except for crappy tires) and you should gain some grip and feel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts