Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we all know the Grom seat SUCKS. I looked at a lot of seats and options and decided I liked the shape of the stock seat but it was just too hard. I contacted Saddlemen seats and asked if they could pull my cover off, install a 1" thick layer of their soft gel and re-install the cover while keeping the seat shape and look close to stock. They said no problem.

I took it down today and dropped it off. I have been working with Bust Cates who has been super cool and responsive.

Anyway, I was hoping to get out of there for about a buck 60 or 70, close to what a replacement seat would cost.

He said they normally charge $139 for a gel insert but because it was a small seat, they could do it for $90!

I think that is a bargain. He said that would be the standard price for other Groms. I am lucky that I live close and do not have to pay for shipping.

It will take about a week. As soon as I get it I will write a review.

Saddlemen Motorcycle Seats, Bags and Luggage, and Accessories | Home Page | Index

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they will cut or hollow out a section in the center of the seat and then install the gel pad and recover.

I forgot to mention. As soon as I gave him the seat he started poking it from the top and bottom front to back all over. Kept saying it was just about the hardest seat he has ever felt.

Reactions: Marmotos

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, I'll try to remember that when I pick up my seat next week.

Buster told me that can pretty much do anything and he was Jonesing to do a custom seat on the Grom so keep that in mind if you want something special.

· Registered
1,233 Posts

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounded like he would be willing and able to do what you have described or dish it out form a lower or wider seat. Maybe you should call him and talk to him directly. They have seats that they produce plus full custom stuff.

I told him to expect a lot of calls from Grom owners once I posted up because our seats suck.

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They tore it apart, and cut out a section and replaced it with gel. Then they covered the entire thing with a thin layer of headliner foam to give it a bit more cush and hide the gel insert. Then they re-covered with the stock cover.

Looks pretty close to stock which is what I wanted. Maybe a little "fuller" than a stock seat but I would need to park it side by side to a stock seat to tell for sure.

Anyway, I am going to say it was a 200% improvement. Stock seat had my butt burning in 20 minutes. On this one I lasted a full hour. Actually could have ridden a lot longer and would have ridden a lot longer but my local race track, I mean canyon road was under construction. For some reason the other roads were dirty too so I did not feel like pushing it.

Well worth the $90 and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah for $90 you just can't go wrong. I think the main thing hurting my big butt now is the weak / soft suspension. I'll upgrade the shock when someone comes out for an upgrade for the fork. That way I can do them both at the same time.

· Registered
111 Posts
I've not had the best of results with gel padding. However, that was combined with thicker foam. That said, the Grom seat is a lot closer to what I'd think is "ideal", i.e. its intended application... a conventional, thin profile, seat.

Do keep us posted on your longterm impression with this setup. It looks good and the price almost seems too good to be true. If this gets the job done, it'll be the Grom bargain of the decade

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.