Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
jesus christ.... there's neither bike picture on that oil sticker.... it's really necessary to avoid family bankrupt ? cmon.. Only Ebenizer likes that xD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actully the penrite has got a bike decal on the sticker.

Will $10 of bike oil kill me no but if oil is suitable I maybas well use it.

If its "OK" or will get me out of a bind ill grab some proper stuff. Don't want to risk a engine.

But I'm aware as our bikes are oil cooled and the clutch is in the same oil its not quite as simple as that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I ran Rotella solely in my DRZ400. The engine ran perfectly when I sold it. This video is after 13 years and 35,000+ completely trouble free miles.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm not going to run diesel oil in a motorcycle engine. Get motorcycle oil for your motorcycle.

Some people also recommend running ATF in your car instead of oil which you shouldn't do...
I believe ATF is similar to 10 weight oil. Here's an interesting video of how ATF performs as engine oil. It confirms your statement. :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'm not going to run diesel oil in a motorcycle engine. Get motorcycle oil for your motorcycle.

Some people also recommend running ATF in your car instead of oil which you shouldn't do...

You realize that Rotella T6 5w-40 is Jaso MA/MA2 spec'd which is the spec needed for motorcycles with wet sump clutches like the grom. I use it exclusively in all of my motorcycles for the past 15 years, zero issues.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You realize that Rotella T6 5w-40 is Jaso MA/MA2 spec'd which is the spec needed for motorcycles with wet sump clutches like the grom. I use it exclusively in all of my motorcycles for the past 15 years, zero issues.
I did not know that. Very interesting. Apparently this is NOT true for the 10W-30 though.

I don't own a diesel so I'll stick to motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Same here. I never had any trouble running it in my bikes.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I did not know that. Very interesting. Apparently this is NOT true for the 10W-30 though.

I don't own a diesel so I'll stick to motorcycle oil.
Correct. The Rotella T 15w-40 (conventional) and Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic) are the only oils in the rotella line that DO NOT have energy conserving additives, which makes them pass the JASO MA/MA2 spec test.

You do not need a diesel to buy this oil... just think of it as buying 4 quarts of motorcycle oil. Its cheap ($19.97) and often has 7 dollar mail in rebates.

·
Registered
140 Posts

That's all marketing on the bottle, it isn't like there are different holes in the ground containing diesel or motorcycle oil. After weight and base (conventional to synthetic) what makes an oil specific to an application is its additive package. As others have mentioned above 'motorcycle' blends don't have the energy conserving stuff in it which is counter productive to wet clutches - so you need an oil without it, no matter what the bottle says. The T6 rotella everyone mentioned works perfectly for bikes due to its blend, in spite of the 'diesel' label on the bottle, and it costs a fraction of say Honda GN4.

Google oil API specs to see way more than you probably want to know about this stuff, but as long as you get the right spec'd oil, it will run fine.

PS I've also used T6 exclusively for years with consistently great results.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If they don't know about Rotella just let them pay more for " motorcycle" oil, somebody gotta get rich rich off somebody else sometime

·
Registered
671 Posts
Maybe someone can convert a Grom or Monkey to a Diesel engine, then it wouldn't be a problem to run this oil. That would be great.
Why? Who needs a heavier Grom, with less power, a 4K red line, that stinks? Or maybe you need even more vibrations? :haha:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts