Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a ton of ruckus fans here thrilled about the Grom. I'm a biker. A sport bike guy. I've had many bikes. I've lived on bikes and even lived for years with out a car while I was in California. I've had one scooter, my ch80 which I sold as soon as I knew about the grom.

What is it that appeals to both the scooter crew and the bikers about the Grom?

For me it's that it's a real motorcycle. It's kind of like the appeal of a stick shift car, they are just more fun. What is it that has got you worked up enough to put money down on a bike most of you have never seen in person? I've spent many hundreds of dollars on parts that are just sitting in my garage waiting for a bike to go on. I've never done this before. I'm looking forward to many miles of WTFO fun and knee down at street speeds. I can't wait to get to the mini GP tracks either. My ysr50 was one of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. I used to race it, ride it on the street and take it anywhere with me. I've been waiting for a replacement for a long time. The Grom is it!

What is it about the grom that get you going?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im with ya highsider. Which by the way i hope u dont highside all the time. Haha yea im a sportbike guy, mx guy. I too am stoked for this bike never got stuff before i actually seen it. I was half as pumped when i got my 00 kx250 and that was my first big bike. Or even my fiftys. And i grew up back when adventures of twitch and scummy, it is what it is movies. We looked up to the core movement but im more amped about a 125cc naked mini sport bike. Lol i for one didnt unddrstand the ruck scene and or stunting but this thing is all in one package. ONE THING I LIKE IS HOW WE ARE ALL COMING TOGATHER FOR THE GROM i think its going to be huge, will take the squid big CC's guys to jump board but hey we were all squids at one point (I was for a day).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a rubber glow in the dark squid bolted to the front fender of my xl600r. Boy that was a fun bike. Try riding up stairs on anything other that a dual sport, ain't going to happen. I've never high sided. It kinda like lucky 13 for me.

I hope this is a great cross over bike that grows the sport.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Lol new forum thing squid master sticker. Hahahaha yea sounded fun. I cant wait to piss off the police when i get the grom i already do it with putting my kid infront of the fifty and smash around town. I think almost every cop here has stopped us.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've just always loved being a little different, and the Grom, well it's just a little different.
I'm really thinking with this Bike I'll end up going for more of "just looks". Most likely the look most ruck riders go for, low and slow. I'm seeing a CBR250 in my future if this bike works out for me, so that'll be my more dedicated sportbike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Been a biker for more than 20 years now. Was looking for a scooter à la T-/ X-Max, C600 Sport or a small nimble bike.
Sold on the MSX when I first saw it (EICMA Milan). Been officially presented in Brussels in January.
Remember been 16, riding Hondas (MBX and NSR) and smiling each time I watched a guy with a ZB arriving at friends...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Started as a biker with a three wheeler as a kid then sport bikes and a couple of cruisers. I just recently got into the ruckus scene and love it. The Grom is like a culmination of all of my two wheeled loves. Small like a scooter with the motorcycle build. It's the best of both worlds and its great on gas.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like unique bikes. The Ninja 300 does it all for a small bike..105 mph and an excellent high mileage commuter. The Triumph Street Triple is a hooligan bike...loud and fast with 3 cylinders. The Gixxer 1000 is one of the fastest supersports. The Vespa 300 is practical with lots of storage. It's also maneuverable, very well made, and you can ride it on the interstate and keep up with traffic. The Zero S is innovative, completely different from ICE bikes, and fun and convenient to ride, especially on cold mornings since there is no warming up the engine. Also you can be stalled in traffic or go just a mile and shut it off without worries about the battery not being charged or condensation in the oil, etc. The Grom is small, light, powerful among 125s, new, inexpensive, high-mileage, and a bit of an enigma since there aren't any around yet. Plus I have always been partial to small bikes and scooters, going back to my first mopeds as a kid. Plus it's camp. You just know it is going to have a cult following...already does really.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I've always been a two wheel lover, rode dirt bikes as a kid, sport bikes in/after high school then saw a stock ruckus one day at a car show and was hooked, found totalruckus.com and never looked back... While sport bikes are exciting and cruisers are comfy neither of them offer the fun you get from riding with a group of grown men on 45mph scooters and the Grom to me is like a geared 125 scooter, they're basically the same size, same speed and will soon have just as many aftermarket parts for it however most of the ruckus parts are sort of "underground" as few of the big name companies have little more than a muffler for them

Ill be continuing to ride with the ruck people after as well, the scoots around here range from 40-80+ so the Grom will fit right in

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me in DC the ch80 wasn't enough. I had to plan my trips to avoid high speed roads. The Grom is the go anywhere have fun bike. I'm really looking forward to trucking it to the mountains. I don't have to worry about the man either. I can go wide open everywhere. Unlike my Gsxr where first gear is good for 95mph. I get frustrated riding that thing in traffic.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My buddy got a zuma as a graduation present from high school. I liked just cruising on it when he let me, even made a 60 mile trip two up on it one day just because we wanted to do something stupid...back then we did a lot of stupid shit and had plenty of people laughed at us, but that was part of the fun. But going on, two up or not people laughed at scoots in my hometown. If you don't ride a sport bike fuck you kind of attitude. So I wanted a scoot of my own to make them look and say...that's badass! So I got a ruck and started cutting. 13" stretch, lowered seat, and home made floor bars with pegs all done in my garage. People quit laughing at me for riding a scoot and started asking questions instead. I would gather a curious crowd when I pulled up to the local advance auto or hangout spots in town. So the grom is my new toy, I'm going to take something different and rock it out like it's nobody's business. I've already got a few people telling me how stupid it is....but haters gonna hate!
102 by tylercockriel, on Flickr

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dependable like a Honda, Bigger cc's then a Ruck, and gears!!! It's just too awesome to pass. I think we've all owned different scooter/bikes and I've always enjoyed riding my Ruck more then any big bike I've owned. It's just fun to zip around on a smaller bike, but more heads have turned when I'm riding the ruck then any other bike I've owned/ridden.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My buddy got a zuma as a graduation present from high school. I liked just cruising on it when he let me, even made a 60 mile trip two up on it one day just because we wanted to do something stupid...back then we did a lot of stupid shit and had plenty of people laughed at us, but that was part of the fun. But going on, two up or not people laughed at scoots in my hometown. If you don't ride a sport bike fuck you kind of attitude. So I wanted a scoot of my own to make them look and say...that's badass! So I got a ruck and started cutting. 13" stretch, lowered seat, and home made floor bars with pegs all done in my garage. People quit laughing at me for riding a scoot and started asking questions instead. I would gather a curious crowd when I pulled up to the local advance auto or hangout spots in town. So the grom is my new toy, I'm going to take something different and rock it out like it's nobody's business. I've already got a few people telling me how stupid it is....but haters gonna hate!
102 by tylercockriel, on Flickr

What extension do you have on your ruck?

·
Registered
150 Posts
more heads have turned when I'm riding the ruck then any other bike I've owned/ridden.

I got 5 mopeds in my stable. (^^^ Above is a 1978 PUCH UPS Magnum ^^^)
You would be AMAZED how much Love I GET when i ride ANY one of my Mopeds!!!
More then ALL other 2 wheel collection... the Ped turns Heads!!!
People hit me up at least 3 times a day when I em!
Age 35+ Brings up total Nostalgia
35 & Below have never seen such a thing!
Oya at least once a week someone offers to buy it...
Either at the gas station OR when riding it!

-Honest™

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a Ruckus 5 years ago, but I wanted to get a beginner bike now that I'm in ATX(moto and cyclist conscious city). From what I've been told, jumping straight on a 600cc isn't the greatest idea but I would just feel like a poser on a 250R. Now that I'm 10min from work down a 40mph road I was thinking about getting another Ruckus, then a coworker who just bought a CBR250R told me about the Grom. Decided in about five minutes I wanted it, and put a deposit down within a week.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts