Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2018 GROM ABS with XR50 bars, protaper grips, Kitaco quick throttle tube, CJR ECU, chimera intake, and an exhaust. I just put new throttle cables on around the first week of December 2020 cause one of them snapped. The bike has had this issue before this though. The bike, even when cold, and more often when hot, will not drop to idle as fast as it should.

Essentially, if you blip the throttle lets say while its warming up (not dead cold ofc, but not 100% fully up to riding hard temps) the revs will jump up normally, then come down normally, but around 2-3k rpm it slows way down and sits there for a second, then drops to idle. When it is warmed up however, more often that not if you pull the clutch in coming to a stop or even if you just blip the throttle, the revs will sit anywhere from 2-3k and stay there. It was much worse before I cleared the DTC codes, reset ecu and tps; I.E. the revs would climb on their own to around 3k. I emailed CJR about this and they had my try unplugging the high/cold idle solenoid but that didn't help much. Idle screw didn't help. Resetting the ECU and TPS helps for a short while but it comes right back. I have perfect slack in my throttle and clutch and it doesn't bother me that much, but it's the small stuff that gets to you!:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds lean on the Idle Air screw on the throttle body.... It's black and can be seen from the shifter side of the throttle body, opposite of the throttle cables.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I doubt this is your problem, but those Kitaco throttle tubes are too short, often leaving about a half inch of grip hanging off the end of the tube. I went with the Motion Pro tube for that reason. My fear was the end of the grip could drag on the bar end and not let the throttle return to the idle position as easily.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
214 Posts
When I switched from stock intake to the Mtake it was pushing against the throttle cables so sometimes I'd get rev hang.

Switched to Kitaco intake and it has less pressure against the throttle cables and no more rev hang.

Currently have larger throttle body and a filter on throttle body itself and no issue with throttle cable bind.

Not sure if Chimera intake pushes on the cables but it is something to check.

Wish aftermarket intakes would do an oval style pipe with enough cross sectional volume to allow more power and avoid throttle cable contact. Or have a splitter into two tubes for get past cables and then collector and single pipe again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did happen to check the throttle slack as well as the intake tubes' interference on the cables; to no avail sadly. It does it on and off, just randomly it seems. Yesterday I was out riding and the revs went from idle to 3k on their own. Idle position on throttle and all. There's no yanking on the cables full lock left and right! So confused. I emailed CJR and he's been pretty helpful; stating that the clutch wiring up on the handlebar can cause it, although I did not have much luck there either.
I doubt this is your problem, but those Kitaco throttle tubes are too short, often leaving about a half inch of grip hanging off the end of the tube. I went with the Motion Pro tube for that reason. My fear was the end of the grip could drag on the bar end and not let the throttle return to the idle position as easily.
When I switched from stock intake to the Mtake it was pushing against the throttle cables so sometimes I'd get rev hang.

Switched to Kitaco intake and it has less pressure against the throttle cables and no more rev hang.

Currently have larger throttle body and a filter on throttle body itself and no issue with throttle cable bind.

Not sure if Chimera intake pushes on the cables but it is something to check.

Wish aftermarket intakes would do an oval style pipe with enough cross sectional volume to allow more power and avoid throttle cable contact. Or have a splitter into two tubes for get past cables and then collector and single pipe again.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I removed a lot of slack from my throttle cables. It had tons of slop. Combined with the Motion Pro throttle tube, it now feels like a more expensive bike.

When I turn the bars all the way to the right the throttle doesn’t snap back very quickly at all. There is some drag. It’s not really an issue, because I rarely turn the bars all the way to lock, except when maneuvering in the driveway, etc. I like the way I have it adjusted. Very crisp.

The stock tube is 1/4 turn. The Motion Pro is 1/5 turn. I may eventually install a Yamaha R1 throttle tube that is 1/6 turn.

I’m not sure what is going on with your bike. Maybe someone else will chime in that has experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed a lot of slack from my throttle cables. It had tons of slop. Combined with the Motion Pro throttle tube, it now feels like a more expensive bike.

When I turn the bars all the way to the right the throttle doesn’t snap back very quickly at all. There is some drag. It’s not really an issue, because I rarely turn the bars all the way to lock, except when maneuvering in the driveway, etc. I like the way I have it adjusted. Very crisp.

The stock tube is 1/4 turn. The Motion Pro is 1/5 turn. I may eventually install a Yamaha R1 throttle tube that is 1/6 turn.

I’m not sure what is going on with your bike. Maybe someone else will chime in that has experienced the same problem.
Yep it doesn't mean the end of the world at all for me, it's been doing it for several months now and I've had zero issues. Just annoying sometimes idling at 3k on an air cooled single.

I just played with the idle screws to no avail either. Oh well! Just dump more money into it I suppose 😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts