Honda Grom banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the first 2 weeks, I had my grom, maybe because i was still getting use to it, I never came close the Rev Limiter.

I keep losing tracking which gear I'm in, so i think I have more room to accelerate. Instantly, once i realize i have gone past it, i release the throttle. and i don't keep pushing it harder.

This has happened since i installed the yoshi and i have hit the limit three times in the last few days.

How bad is it for the grom, that i keep going past it? I don't plan on keep doing it, I just got to pay more atttention which gear i'm in.

Does everyone count gears? I'm constantly counting up down, down up...
I finally picked up on the clue, when you downshift 4->3, 3->2nd there is a single click, but from 2nd-> 1st there is a double click.

What makes me even more confused is i saw a pic here, showing off the new yuminshi rev limiter remover??? If going past the limit is really bad for our engines, why would we want to remove the rev limiter???

I compare this with my exp in a manual jeep wrangler. The difference though, is shifter on my wrangler, is in a different position with each gear. I don't have that visual clue with my Grom.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. There isn't much value to revving past redline as the power starts to drop out. The value comes when you are in between gears on the track and you don't want to shift up if there is a corner soon. It is nice to have some overrev available for things like this.

I installed my 14t sprocket today and found that redline is coming sooner and I can pull through 4th into the 8500 range now so top cruising speed is right in the bottom end of redline. Do it if you haven't already.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Tell me again what sprocket changes you would make if any to try and get more top end out of the Grom. Shoebacca, that double click you feel going from 2nd to 1st is because neutral is in the middle. You know that of course. How do you go past the rev limiter? Downhill?, cause the whole idea of it is to prevent you from damaging the engine by going above redline and if it is working, the engine won't go above the limit. Usually, I think the rev limiter is actually set a little below red line. It was on my Ninja 300 for sure. I never really worried about going over the redline...it wouldn't. Changing sprockets and gear ratios and exhausts may change that I guess. Does anybody know.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I keep good track of first gear. It doesn't bother me to click against fourth gear sometimes just to assure myself where I am and I won't hit back into granny gear. That sucks. It's like all of your momentum is suddenly decelerated to this unmanageably slow speed. Sucks. It doesn't hurt anything to just say hello to fourth once in awhile( just keep the clutch in!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts