Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first of a ll I'm pretty new to this so pardon me if I'm using the wrong terminology.

After driving my MSX all stock for 5 years, I recently discovered the world of tuning. Started all with the intention to change the exhaust, and now it seems there's no end to possible modifications. I kinda got hooked.

What I'm planning to build in is: full exhaust, DNA filter w/ stainless pipe, racing cam and iridium spark plug w/ cable.
From what I've learned the motor will run lean and I need to modifiy the ECU to inject more fuel. I read about fuel controllers and stuff, but I'm living in Thailand and the parts you're using are either not available or super expensive. Over here people mostly buy modified ECU chips, called Glong Mok or "buried boxes" (picture at the bottom).

Now I'm wondering what is the worst thing that could happen if the chip is crap. Or should I just remap the stock ECU?

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
These are all effectively the same thing. The Yuminashi is a learning ECU with a better base map than factory.

A CJR flashed ECU is also learning and will adjust to environmental inputs but the base map will be more closely tailored to your configuration/modifications as the baseline. CJR and DHM have done a lot of testing with various setups and retain the maps associated with each. Sounds like your local suppliers are doing the same.

Do your research and find a reputable vendor. Probably easier to work with someone local to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are all effectively the same thing. The Yuminashi is a learning ECU with a better base map than factory.

A CJR flashed ECU is also learning and will adjust to environmental inputs but the base map will be more closely tailored to your configuration/modifications as the baseline. CJR and DHM have done a lot of testing with various setups and retain the maps associated with each. Sounds like your local suppliers are doing the same.

Do your research and find a reputable vendor. Probably easier to work with someone local to you.
Thanks a lot. Guess I'll try one of those, that are sold here. So the worst thing could be bad performance, but no harm to the motor, right?
I couldn't find Yuminashi here, just API and they cost a fortune.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Reactions: Flosurat

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a TB cam, intake, and exhaust; and I have an reflashed ECU. I can tell the difference. No harm to the motor. You would either send in your ECU and it would get reprogrammed or they would send you another one one and you would just swap it out. Pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my ECU remapped by GPL Tech in Bangkok. So far I've changed the air filter - with airbox mod - and the exhaust. Nice pull in 2nd and 3rd gear. 3rd goes up to 95 km/h, top speed 114. Gonna swap the airbox pipe with a stainless steel one this week, let's see how that goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I've learned the motor will run lean and I need to modifiy the ECU to inject more fuel. I read about fuel controllers and stuff, but I'm living in Thailand and the parts you're using are either not available o filezilla uc browser rufus r super expensive. Over here people mostly buy modified ECU chips, called Glong Mok or "buried boxes" (picture at the bottom).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts