Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well?

Im a dyed in the wool regular oil guy but with only 1 quart in the sump I might go synthetic...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm back in the 60s and 70s (and maybe 80s) there wasnt any MA oil.

Except for BMWs motorcycles had wet clutches then too. I never had a problem with a Honda Trail 90 or SL350 using Quaker State.

I used automotive oil in my ST1100 for 109k miles without an issue.

Has anyone had an issue with AO oil in a mc?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I usually run regular oil for at least 1000 miles then switch to a synthetic. You could probably stay with regular oil if you change the oil every 1000 miles. It's cheap enough and you should have no problems IMO.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Regular good quality motorcycle oil from the day I get it to the day my kids inherit it. I'll be changing it ever 2500 miles anyway. It will be fine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yup because now that they brought out a bike that has a sorta similar configuration to a bike from 50 years ago, we should treat it like its 50 years old, eh? ;)

·
Vendor
1,821 Posts
What's the factory fill? I was suprised my last motard came from Husqvarna w/ synthetic. My normal protocol is the change the oil VERY early, like 75 miles (you'd be suprised how much junk you'll get out at that point from gear mating etc), again early on (perhaps 300 miles in), then go full synthetic at the first "normal" interval. There are lots of good oils, but my pick for decades has been Motul, in both my 2 strokes and 4 strokes. The two important issues are that you choose a quality oil, then change it often. Your stuff will last forever.....

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Yup because now that they brought out a bike that has a sorta similar configuration to a bike from 50 years ago, we should treat it like its 50 years old, eh? ;)
Yep that's my plan. Worked for me for the past 41 years of riding and even if I did see a good reason to change I am too stubborn to do it differently. :big smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts