Honda Grom banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is this the stock length or +6cm swingarm? How's it holding up?
It's the +0 swingarm. It only looked like a stretch because the rear fender was off.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Who on here has had a kepspeed swingarm the longest/ most miles? Looking for long term feedback before possible purchase.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Current member WV is who I got recommendation from over a year I believe, they're easily could be more.
I've posted this before, when I did mine posted in Fb groups at least three other people use this swingarm with 300 swaps said to have no issue...
Also believe there is a current member using it for track use, but unable to put to use because of the covid...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put mine on last month. The needle bearings are a huge improvement. Time will tell how it holds up, but couldn’t be happier as of today.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am not sure if I was the first to bring this arm to the attention of the forum. It really does not matter.

Once installed, I have had no issues with my Arm. Although I have to admit, my Grom has a narrow mission statement, and it frequently stays in the garage while I whoop up on its bigger siblings.

Last time I looked, it had just over a thousand miles on the Grom. Probably put the arm on at 400ish miles. Not a big mileage use, but I do give the arm (so far) 2 thumbs up and a backsnap (Men on Films reference).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks, I am pushing nearly 6000 miles on my 2020 model so if I get one i will keep everyone updated on any issues I encounter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It was a toss up between MNNTHBX bushing and bronze journal bearing kit or the Kepspeed swing arm. Ended up ordering the Kepspeed from motorkit (pricey shipping to Canada but fast service) after reading this thread. Weight savings, needle bearings are definite pros. I'm light weight as is, hovering at 126lbs, can't really go anorexic so the bike has to lose some for me. Hopefully will get up and running by middle of next month. Good thing I read this forum before I splurged.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Added one to my cart for 147 bucks, then found out they wanted 75 bucks to ship it..... I just don't know if it is worth 225 bucks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
On 5-14-2018 I purchased my arm from Motorkit. 127.00 + 33.00 shipping. 160 bux all in. Just a FYI...

·
Registered
24 Posts
On 5-14-2018 I purchased my arm from Motorkit. 127.00 + 33.00 shipping. 160 bux all in. Just a FYI...
Pretty much same price for the swing arm for me about 112 Euros, but the shipping was killer at 67 Euros haven't checked my card yet for the actual conversion to Canadian dollars. They shipped UPS so add duty on top but shipping is quite fast, expecting it today.

·
Vendor
1,887 Posts
If shedding weight is a goal, a lithium battery should be near the top of the list, and it rides high in the bike, making it even more notable. We pulled 30lbs off our first Grom with battery, wheels, exhaust and such. Additionally, you can save some weight and add style at ProBoltUSA, using aluminum fasteners in spots where it's appropriate.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I decided to keep the original swingarm and add MNNTHBX bushings. Already ordered.

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are the bearings really vulnerable to contamination? Anyway to seal them up a bit? I believe someone said they packed waterproof grease in there.
If shedding weight is a goal, a lithium battery should be near the top of the list, and it rides high in the bike, making it even more notable. We pulled 30lbs off our first Grom with battery, wheels, exhaust and such. Additionally, you can save some weight and add style at ProBoltUSA, using aluminum fasteners in spots where it's appropriate.
This sounds like good advice, but I have a paranoia about lithium batteries catching on fire. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I own plenty of things with lithium batteries in them, but I can’t help but worry about them. I know they are considered safe, but I guess the YouTube videos of lithium battery fires freak me out. Maybe I’ll get past those fears someday.

I come from a cycling background, so changing fasteners to titanium or aluminum is something I’ve been doing for years.

·
Vendor
1,887 Posts
Are the bearings really vulnerable to contamination? Anyway to seal them up a bit? I believe someone said they packed waterproof grease in there.

This sounds like good advice, but I have a paranoia about lithium batteries catching on fire. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I own plenty of things with lithium batteries in them, but I can’t help but worry about them. I know they are considered safe, but I guess the YouTube videos of lithium battery fires freak me out. Maybe I’ll get past those fears someday.

I come from a cycling background, so changing fasteners to titanium or aluminum is something I’ve been doing for years.
There's plenty of videos of motorcycle crashes as well, yet we ride...
The bearings are sealed, and have zero history of contamination of maintenance issues.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The bearings are sealed, and have zero history of contamination of maintenance issues.
Yep, that’s true. Everything in life comes with some risk.

I fully appreciate how beneficial it is to reduce weight up high like the battery. Anytime I can lower the center of gravity, or reduce rotating and unsprung weight, the benefits are always amplified.

Are you referring to the Kepspeed Swingarm needle bearings or the MNNTHBX bronze bearings?

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
772 Posts
My swingarm bushings needed to be "serviced" at 1500 miles. Followed install to T, nothing out of whack. It just seemed as if it started to seize. Taking everything apart and applying a new coat of grease has everything back to normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, that’s true. Everything in life comes with some risk.

I fully appreciate how beneficial it is to reduce weight up high like the battery. Anytime I can lower the center of gravity, or reduce rotating and unsprung weight, the benefits are always amplified.

Are you referring to the Kepspeed Swingarm needle bearings or the MNNTHBX bronze bearings?
I just installed my Kepspeed yesterday and there is a sleeve that rides on needle bearings. There is a gap on initial fitup between the swingarm and the frame (the two original washers were added between the swingarm and the rearsets). The gap will close once you torque the bolt down to spec (40ft lbs), there is zero play and no addtional washers added. From my perspective it's pretty sealed. I figue it will be the same with MNNTHBX set.

Side note I have a composimo lowering link on my grom. I had to modify the Kepspeed to fit it up and use longer bolting and add washers to take up the gap between the shocks. So thats definitely one drawback to the swing arm vs bearing kit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve been trying to order one of the Kepspeed swingarms, but MotorKit is currently not shipping to the United States due to Corona Virus. I emailed them. They said their “forwarders were refusing parcels out of Europe”.

I’ll just have to wait until they are shipping them to the U.S. again.

Looks like a pretty nice swingarm.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I noticed that the chain slider/protector is pretty small on the Kepspeed swingarm. I realize keeping your chain adjusted properly is key, but are any of you concerned about the chain slapping the underside of the swingarm? Has it happened to anyone? Too bad they weren’t a little more generous with the size of the slider. It probably couldn’t hurt to have a little more protection I guess.

I really want to eliminate all of the resistance and free up my rear suspension.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts