Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the stock steel rear swing arm with its chain adjusters. It weighs in at just over 9 pounds. The Kepspeed aluminum rear swing arm is just over 5 pounds. This makes for a net weight reduction of 4 pounds. So far I've reduced the stock curb weight of 229 pounds down to 213 pounds. The Kepspeed swing arm will put the curb weight at just 209 pounds.

This makes a total reduction of 20 POUNDS from stock. :)

I'm in the middle of things right now so I'll post pics later...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Let me know if any gotchas.

I got new knobbies on separate wheels to put on and thinking I should just do swingarm at same time if for nothing more than the adjusters...

The weight savings are a bonus as hoping to ride it on the snow in our backyard so anything to help keep it afloat on the snow is worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just add lightness.

I've always intended to weigh things I've removed/ added but never remembered to do it, stock exhaust, swing arm, carbon panels, tail tidy. I've made a couple of ally spacers and such, got TI bolts for the discs and calipers, so thats got to be worth at least 10mph on the top speed...

Thats a fairly impressive percentage reduction you've done there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Swapping out the exhaust on my Duke 390 netted me a 10lb weight savings. The shorter Competition Werkes pipe isn't the optimum length for power but it certainly saved pounds which can be comparable.

@tooter , did you add grease to the needle bearings? They come lubed but the sleeve/bushing isn't super tight and I think I'm going to add more before assembly.

I mounted the 4 'stops' on the swingarm tonight, with loctite. The right side pieces are not exactly aligned with my fender. I used the middle length piece as the forward stop. Longest for brake mount and the two shorter ones as the rearmost.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just add lightness.

I've always intended to weigh things I've removed/ added but never remembered to do it, stock exhaust, swing arm, carbon panels, tail tidy. I've made a couple of ally spacers and such, got TI bolts for the discs and calipers, so thats got to be worth at least 10mph on the top speed...

Thats a fairly impressive percentage reduction you've done there.
I weighed what was removed and installed to keep an approximate tab on net weight loss within a pound. The reason Groms get about double the mileage as ordinary bikes is their weight. Take the 2020 Yamaha MT 03. For a 300 it's an absolute PIG with a curb weight of a whopping 373 POUNDS. No wonder it can only get a crappy 56 mpg. My DRZ 400 was only 301 pounds with a way larger engine. ALL the new small displacement bikes are really heavy pigs like the 03..

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swapping out the exhaust on my Duke 390 netted me a 10lb weight savings. The shorter Competition Werkes pipe isn't the optimum length for power but it certainly saved pounds which can be comparable.

@tooter , did you add grease to the needle bearings? They come lubed but the sleeve/bushing isn't super tight and I think I'm going to add more before assembly.

I mounted the 4 'stops' on the swingarm tonight, with loctite. The right side pieces are not exactly aligned with my fender. I used the middle length piece as the forward stop. Longest for brake mount and the two shorter ones as the rearmost.
Yes. :) I squished lots of grease into the needle bearings and greased the sleeves and long pivot bolt. Everything went together quite nicely. I added a thin washer on each side of the swing arm as there was a little side to side motion when I installed it. There's zero play now.

It was dark when I finished so I'll post a pic tomorrow. I'm really pleased with the fit and finish, and the black nicely matches everything else. If the label wasn't on, it would be hard to tell it from the stock swing arm.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's installed. I'll be running errands today so I'll get to see how a swing arm works with needle bearings instead of rubber bushings.

The chain adjusters are a dream! :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's very nice. I am considering an under braced unit.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Kepspeed also makes a braced model. I'm just a regular rider and don't need it. From handling the arm it's plenty rigid for me. Watch out for reduced ground clearance on that brace.

·
Registered
190 Posts
]

The chain adjusters are a dream! :)
This is one of the primary reasons I got one. Accelerated the install plans on account of the new wheels and tires to put on.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll love it, man. :)

My Grom tracks more predictably going round curves. You'll likely need one thin washer on each side where the arm pivots on the frame. That did the trick on mine. There's zero side play and yet the arm pivots up and down freely. I had to figure out a way to hold up the bike and used two jackstands. First I put the rear up with a wheel stand, put jackstands under the frame and then lowered the wheel stand. I had to be careful but it worked out fine.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's synchronicity. ?
I'm totally pleased with how it works. They are VERY well made. Kepspeed must have gotten more sales because they raised their prices.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The best feature with the kepspeed series of arms is the bearings at the pivot. This lets the suspension work as intended. Although, the sealing of said pivot leaves little to be desired. There are no seals on either end of the bearing. I just loaded the cavity up with waterproof grease. So far so good.

I did not have problems with the stock adjusters. I did have to modify the Kep holes in mine. All in all I would have done it again.

You should too...

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's synchronicity. ?
I'm totally pleased with how it works. They are VERY well made. Kepspeed must have gotten more sales because they raised their prices.
The price fluctuates with currency exchange. It should come down again.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes. Exhaust is a biggie. I dropped 5 pounds with the TOCE and it's still really long. The Kitaco took off 2 pounds. The Kepspeed lost 4 pounds. Monkey rear sets 2 pounds. Aluminum rear sprocket 1 pound. And 6 pounds for the TST rear fender delete, stock front and rear blinker delete, and reflector deletes.

I weigh 138 and a stock grom weighs 229, and adding 8 pounds for clothes and helmet makes total bike and rider weight of 375 pounds.

So reducing 20 pounds to 355 is 5.3% of the total weight. That is equivalent to a performance increase of 5.3% or about one half horsepower. :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The IXIL exhaust knocked off another pound for a curb weight of 208 pounds. This is a 5.6% reduction of the total combined weight of bike and rider.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Kepspeed +0cm on my Grom (and another one in a box waiting for the Wife's Grom). So far, so good, but it has only been a week or two. ;) We'll see if it hold up over the summer. Adjusting the chain is much easier now, and the shock can finally get full use thanks to the needle bearings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Kepspeed +0cm on my Grom (and another one in a box waiting for the Wife's Grom). So far, so good, but it has only been a week or two. ;) We'll see if it hold up over the summer. Adjusting the chain is much easier now, and the shock can finally get full use thanks to the needle bearings.
Thanks, I just ordered the +0 Braced version in Black, can't wait.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts