Honda Grom banner

Red Grom--$2800 Indianapolis

7K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  woodsrat 
#1 · (Edited)
Simple and to the point. Red Grom, all stock with the only mods preload adjusters and 15w. oil. Oil changed at 100 and 600 miles, valves checked at 600, broken in and ready to ride. As new condition with just over 700 miles on the clock.

PM me here if interested.

Reactions: Bad-tat
#3 ·
For anyone wondering no, the preload adjusters are not for sale separately. When you go to install them and see what a pain in the arse they are to install you'll understand why.

Reactions: elizerr
#7 ·
Yep, prices for a lot of stuff varies from region to region. Houses cost more here too, and gasoline. And it is not just state to state, prices vary within states as well. And if you REALLY want to see prices differ, try traveling around different countries.

This is not always the case and definitely not the case for every resident but in general, if things cost more in an area it is because the people living there make more and can afford to pay more. Dubai is a pretty good example of that.

Not crazy just economics.

Reactions: GromTactical
#5 ·
In response to the numerous requests for delivery unless it's in the immediate Indianapolis area, NO. I will be happy to work with anyone to ship it if you make the arrangements. I've used uShip, a reverse auction kind of deal where potential shippers bid against each other by bidding lower and lower. Highly recommended.

#9 ·
It's a stocker in new condition and sadly no, there are no pictures or video of the bike. I'm old and don't have any of the fancy technology most people have. All my phone does is make calls (shocker!!) and I never turn the damned thing on, anyway...

#10 ·
My wife finally took a couple of calls about the Grom yesterday. One of them wanted to know if it had pedals on it...

Reactions: Challyfreel
#13 · (Edited)
Expanding upon the previous post as I've said before to others about the Grom occasionally you buy a bike that just doesn't "do it" for you. Probably the worst was my '81 CX-500 that I hated from the moment I left the dealership but still ended up riding it 25,000 miles over the next couple of years simply because I couldn't sell the damned thing. Knowing what I know now I probably could have fixed it with careful carburetor jetting but as it was stock it took FOREVER to warm up enough to where you could actually ride it.

Another bike I never really cared for were the two CB-400F's I had in the mid-70's. After totaling one when a lady turned left in front of me after around 6,000 miles I foolishly got a second one and ended up riding it almost 23,000 miles. Considered a highly desirable collector bike today I thought it was a pile o' poop and back then once purchased you couldn't give them away (both of mine were sold new as leftovers). Now they bring stupid money as I scratch my head and wonder why.

In my 42+ years of riding there have been some real winners, too. My '84 KDX-200, purchased and set up from day one as a competition hillclimber, was a magic bike, gathered trophies like a magnet and continued to do so after I sold it. I got a case of sloppy sentimentality and bought it back to restore to how it looked during it's glory days but some scumbag managed to steal it before I could finish it. Bastards.

Another genuine winner was my '96 Gas-Gas Pampera. A cross between an enduro and trials bike it would go places you could barely walk and other bikes would have had to be air dropped into. Huge fun.

Honorable mentions--'99 ZRX-1100, '82 Suzuki GS-1100, '90 DR-650 and the NX-650/XR-650L's (three of 'em!) that I've ridden over 110,000 miles on. Too big and heavy to be a dirt bike but a more versatile street bike you'll never find.

So what excites me now? My fleet of junk step throughs powered by a variety of Chinese and Jap motors. An offshoot from my pit bike racing days I rediscovered how wonderfully simple these engines were and starting with Passport #1 (purchased on eBay for .99--no kidding!!) I've found myself riding them more than my "big" bikes lately.

If these ugly little bikes excite me so much why didn't the Grom do it for me? Part of it is the Luddite in me who fears technology. I've always had to do my own work (mostly because I couldn't afford to pay someone else) and despite reading and re-reading the shop manual I just don't grasp or understand fuel injection. I was a little disappointed in finding that the Grom ran no better than my Lifan 125 powered Passport despite it's whiz-bang electronic feeding system. I'd bet the farm there's more power to be had but having already been there, done that, bought the T-shirt with my stupid expensive XR-50 I ain't going down that path again and definitely not with something I don't understand.

Another thing is I'm so used to ugly bikes and ones with plastic tanks like my XR-L the Grom is just too pretty and fragile for my tastes. When you get old like me all of a sudden you have no one to impress but yourself and my bikes rarely get washed anymore, much less waxed and shined like the Grom seems to demand.

Maybe the Grom is the neatest thing since sliced bread. There's a lot of performance potential within the motor (the crank is well supported for one unlike the Honda 50/70/clones) but I ain't gonna be the one to discover it. I'm happy that small bikes are making a comeback with the Grom but it's simply not for me. Maybe it will be for you.

#16 ·
Yup. It's on the Indianapolis Craigslist as I write this and as mentioned got me a call from a guy who wanted to know if it had pedals. The weather is finally starting to break here after the horrible winter so hopefully it'll move in the next week or so. If these things are really selling for $3700 used one would think someone would drop the money to ship it. I'll work with anyone seriously interested except if you're a Nigerian prince waiting for your inheritance. As a show of good faith I'd also be happy to haul the bike locally to be inspected by a neutral third party (except for Dreyer Honda South) at the buyer's expense--or maybe you could send some McDonald's gift certificates to arunto for him to come and inspect/take pictures & video of it.

Reactions: arunto
#19 ·
My Grom has been sold and will soon be on it's way to it's new home. Thanks to all for your inquiries about the bike. Ride safe!!

#21 · (Edited)
Even though I'm losing my ass on the deal (relative to the stupid hidden fees I paid when I thought I had a good working relationship with the new owner of the dealership where I bought it) the Grom is going to a genuinely good human and if she's happy it makes up for being lied to by the shop owner and getting ripped off.

One other inmate here paid the same price I did (including the $399 freight fee) and in my opinion if a shop feels like the markup isn't sufficient to make a decent profit they ought to at least be up front and include whatever price increase they add to the base price.

In the meanwhile if I could make a recommendation and editorialize a bit 1) refuse to pay any more than $125 for freight on a new Grom and 2) don't trust Steve St. John, owner of Dreyer Honda South in Whiteland, IN any farther than you can throw him. He told me he'd paid $285 in freight fees but a call to Honda told me otherwise. I can forgive a lot of sins but lying to my face ain't one of them...

For reference his shop shares the name only with one of the oldest Honda dealerships in the U. S., Dreyer Honda. He married into the family via "Pop" Dreyer's granddaughter. Dreyer Honda is a separate business entity altogether.

To all the great people I've met here during my Grom ownership, ride safe and have fun. It was a pleasure chewing the fat with you.

#24 ·
As an aside for anyone who may own or work at a shop and think I'm being a little critical of this dealer's business practices let me say that I absolutely, positively believe in good ol' American supply and demand and that a dealer can charge anything they want for their vehicles. On bikes like the Grom if we're silly enough to pay more than suggested list the dealer has every right to charge whatever the market will bear. I also fully understand that it's frightfully expensive to keep a name-brand shop in operation and their overhead is extremely high. What I'm upset about is for trusting the dealer whom I thought I had developed the same working relationship I had with the previous owner. Mad at myself for paying full list for the first time in 42+ years of riding I crammed the receipt in my pocket when I picked the bike up and honestly never looked at it until I got ready to sell it. (Costly mistake.) Sure, he got me and other inmates here who paid the same price but I'm absolutely going to let everyone I know about the way he does business--and if the word gets out eventually people will steer clear of this dealership and eventually the market forces will put him out of business, with any kind of luck. Motorcycling doesn't need this kind of dealer--let him go sell Buicks.

#26 ·
Would you care to give us a breakdown of the price you paid? I for one would be curious to see what kind of fees Dreyer Honda charges.

#27 ·
Going on the wild assumption the dealer who sold me my Grom was truthful he said the markup on the Grom was pretty slim--maybe $130 or so. I think I can believe him here. Marc Wertzberger, the previous owner, told me Honda had cut the margins on the low-end bikes to the point that on something like a CRF-50 he was lucky to make $50. In their eternal brilliance Honda expects their dealers to basically give away the small bikes and then hope that the customer will return in the future to buy a larger bike and make their money there. Notice, too that Honda's under 500cc street-legal lineup (other than scooters and dirt bikes) has been reduced to the CRF-250L, the CBR-250R, the evergreen Rebel and of course the Grom. Honda made their reputation selling small, reliable motorcycles but has chosen to use Harley-Davidson's business model and focus on 500cc and up displacement bikes where the margins are much larger. This is why 500cc bikes are now considered "beginner bikes". At the risk of showing my age again when I started riding 500cc, 100 MPH bikes were considered to be for experienced riders only. Virtually all of the "big four" have abandoned the street-legal small bike market and that's why we have heavy bikes with way too much power being sold as beginner bikes.

#28 ·
Mine just sold for $3700. My total OTD price on it was $3895 which included tie down straps, a helmet and gloves. So I basically rode it for free for 1,100 miles and gave it back since that would have been the difference in payoff if you take away the gear I got. Now I can turn around and get another one brand new for the same amount (3,700 otd) or get a different bike. I really like the CB300f that isn't being sold yet. Not sure what to do yet.

#29 ·
The Grom was finally picked up today and is off to it's new owner on the other side of the U. S. Like many other people have found there were simply no Groms to be had in her neck of the woods. I do hope it's all she hopes it will be and is mega happy with it.

For me I'm just glad to have it out of my life so I can forget about the whole sad affair with Dreyer Honda South.

Reactions: arunto
#30 ·
For anyone in the Indy area looking for a Grom there's one at Dreyer Honda (related to Dreyer Honda South in name only--no business connection). Given I had zip interest in my Grom locally even at $2800 apparently there aren't that many people in the Indy area with money in hand that want one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.