Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, So I bought the grom knowing it had a intergrated led taillight. What I did not know is the guy used junk tape and 4-5 different splices to connect the wires. I went and cleaned up the wires and used the 3m butt slices with the shrink wrap. My question is is this good enough or should I replace the harness? I have had bad luck with jacked up/half a%$ wiring in the past and want to avoid that.

first 2 pics are the before;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Crimp connectors are pretty standard for anything that vibrates since they won't fall off like wire nuts will. As long as you were thorough and the crimps are good that shouldn't be a problem. I might have used bullet connectors to make it more easily serviceable, but that's just preference.

Those first pics are like something out of a horror show. What was that guy thinking?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, he had caps on 2 of the 6 wires and then some only had tape including the plate lights, he cut the factory wires back and left the 3ft of taillight wires. Worse part is the bikes not even a year old! I asked on my other post about the headlight but do you know since the plate lights were spliced together if that can cause a volt issue? I guess I'll keep an eye on my wire job and worse case just replace them since both those harness have connectors to the main harness

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Stock setup has the headlight running off of the stator instead of the battery. The voltage sent by the factory rectifier isn't designed for the LED and HID "bulbs". Some people do a clunky conversion to run an LED bulb and tap into the yellow wire going to the license plate light, though the preferred method is to change the rectifier out to one that sends the correct voltage type. If he used the plate light method you might consider going back to the factory wiring and use this:

https://www.steadygarage.com/store/gojin-ac-to-dc-rectifier-honda-grom-125

1 - 5 of 5 Posts