Honda Grom banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
but with that dust seal on it rides normal and holds the spacer in place...
Don't take this wrong, but just stop and think about that for a second. You're relying on a dust seal to keep your rear end together. Definitely not safe. I wouldn't ride anymore until you figure this out.

Reactions: estallings15

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't take this wrong, but just stop and think about that for a second. You're relying on a dust seal to keep your rear end together. Definitely not safe. I wouldn't ride anymore until you figure this out.
LOL I haven't ridden it in weeks still trying to figure out why it won't stay in because it just dangling there definately isn't right I might just take it in to see if they can figure out what's wrong

·
Registered
520 Posts
Have you even taken out the rear wheel to inspect it yourself? Looking at the rear wheel assembly maybe they left#4 out or was put in the wrong way.
uxyNmOm.png

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same symptoms

edit: tore down my wheel, ended up being part number 4 was missing. Causes the smaller inner bearing to pop out and move freely within the Cush drive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
that black band is a dust boot or at least it should be (#22). there should be a metal spring-like ring in there that helps squeeze/hold the bearing. how did you install it? it should be pressed fit in, using a big socket and gentle even tapping with a hammer. should be pretty snug. make sure you didn't knock out that metal spring-like ring. if you didn't replace it when the bearing cracked, the bearing could've knocked that seal loose, so you'll need to replace that as well.

double check that it's not the oil seal (#19) as that may be on the wrong side (the right side/rotor side.)

also spin the wheel and see if it spins freely without wobbling left and right. that chain needs some TLC.
Can I reuse the dust seal from my hub after I change the bearing, man they are in there tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you have something totally wrong then. the axle should fit snugly inside the bearing as well as the spacer, nothing is able to "move around" unless you have the wrong parts installed

does the axle fit snugly inside the bearings you installed?

the whole assembly is clamped together snugly by the axle, the dust seal is not part of the assembly.

standing at the rear of the bike, from left to right you should have

axle bolt/swingarm with chain adjuster inside/spacer/cush drive bearing/spacer inside cush drive/wheel bearing/sleeve inside rear wheel/wheel bearing/spacer/brake caliper bracket/swingarm with chain adjuster inside/washer/axle nut

if you are missing ANY PART of this assembly you need to rectify the situation
its called a sleeve i was missing one to thats thee issuees had the same problem

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
I'm not sure, but it looks like you need way more than a seal. If the housing/shaft are not ruined, you can measure with a dial caliper to verify dimensions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is what my problem is
I'm not sure, but it looks like you need way more than a seal. If the housing/shaft are not ruined, you can measure with a dial caliper to verify dimensions.
What else do you think I needs?? Because that's all that was on it when the bike came fully assembled to me, I believe the housing/shaft is still good.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Something allowed it to eat the seal, probably bad wheel bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Idk? Any suggestions on what seal to buy?
I know that I'm going to have to buy some more of these one and a half inch rubber insulations. I know that the sprocket is connected to a drum like piece that houses and holds the spindles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts