Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got the kenda dual sport tires on my grom and when I put the rear wheel back on it does not feel right. It sways when I get on the gas, like the chain is pulling one side of the tire up while the other side stays in place.i replaced the bearings because one was cracked and I followed the instructions. Idk what I did wrong... need help please I miss riding my grom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both the spacers in and the wheel is aligned on both sides but there is still a sway maybe I am missing another washer or something also the dust seal in front of the bearing keeps falling off I don't know if there's supposed to be something that holds and on or what?

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
lay out of rear wheel

Hollister Powersports. California's Honda, Indian, Kawasaki, Victory, Polaris ATV & Motorcycle Dealership.

check the grease in the bearings should have some grease, this will also hold in the dust seal

check your chain adjustment lines on the side of the swing arm both side should be on the same mark or close to a mark. Any difference will effect true trailing of the F/R tire.

Also clean and lube your chain.

torque on rear nut is 44 ft/lb but I use 40 ft/lbs just because the front axle is 40 ft/lbs makes it EZ to remember the torque of both axle.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Terrible drawing, but i added the rear swingarm in red.

Basically, nut, washer, swingarm, spacer. and on the other side, bolt, washer, swingarm, spacer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's kind of hard to explain but it feels like the spacer is just moving all around the bearing freely so it's not a lot of wiggle room but it's definitely noticeable thanks for the pictures and diagrams I'm going to go to motorworld and look at the groms and hopefully I can figure it out

·
Registered
199 Posts
You put all the rubber drive protectors back correctly I assume?

If you where to get that wrong the back end would feel pretty wobbly.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think Juls is talking about the cush drive system, which is #1 on the image posted, which sits between the sprocket hub, and the wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Juls is talking about the cush drive system, which is #1 on the image posted, which sits between the sprocket hub, and the wheel.
Ya I have that all in right but for some reason this stupid dust seal keeps coming off and I have to take the whole tire off and reset everything each time it does

·
Registered
86 Posts
that black band is a dust boot or at least it should be (#22). there should be a metal spring-like ring in there that helps squeeze/hold the bearing. how did you install it? it should be pressed fit in, using a big socket and gentle even tapping with a hammer. should be pretty snug. make sure you didn't knock out that metal spring-like ring. if you didn't replace it when the bearing cracked, the bearing could've knocked that seal loose, so you'll need to replace that as well.

double check that it's not the oil seal (#19) as that may be on the wrong side (the right side/rotor side.)

also spin the wheel and see if it spins freely without wobbling left and right. that chain needs some TLC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that black band is a dust boot or at least it should be (#22). there should be a metal spring-like ring in there that helps squeeze/hold the bearing. how did you install it? it should be pressed fit in, using a big socket and gentle even tapping with a hammer. should be pretty snug. make sure you didn't knock out that metal spring-like ring. if you didn't replace it when the bearing cracked, the bearing could've knocked that seal loose, so you'll need to replace that as well.

double check that it's not the oil seal (#19) as that may be on the wrong side (the right side/rotor side.)

also spin the wheel and see if it spins freely without wobbling left and right. that chain needs some TLC.
I mist be missing that spring like ring and when I installed it I assumed it was like my kx450 where it's axel, washer, spacer, and spacer, washer, bolt so i assumed i could do it my self. Also while that boot is in it rides normal and you can definately tell when it pops out while riding. I took the tires in to motorworld and that spring thing must have fell out somehow. You wouldn't happen to have some sort of link or part number for that would you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that spring comes with the dust boot. replace that black seal that's coming loose on you.
I just got that boot a few days ago from honda, it came with bearings too it was suppose to be the kit but no spring do you have a link or part number for that spring

·
Banned
714 Posts
that dust seal has absolutely nothing to do with the wheel feeling "wobbly" or similar.

what you describe isn't physically possible.

if you have all the metal spacers in place and the axle correctly aligned and torqued, you could light those dust seals on fire and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the feel of the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that dust seal has absolutely nothing to do with the wheel feeling "wobbly" or similar.

what you describe isn't physically possible.

if you have all the metal spacers in place and the axle correctly aligned and torqued, you could light those dust seals on fire and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the feel of the bike.
When the dust seal goes in over the bearing then the spacer goes inside of the dust seal and when the dust seal comes off that spacer is only on due to the pressure of the swing arms pushing the spacer and when I get on the gas it pulls the sprocket which moves the spacer around the bearing but with that dust seal on it rides normal and holds the spacer in place... when I put too much pressure on the axel bolt the tire barely spins, maybe that's my problem?

·
Banned
714 Posts
you have something totally wrong then. the axle should fit snugly inside the bearing as well as the spacer, nothing is able to "move around" unless you have the wrong parts installed

does the axle fit snugly inside the bearings you installed?

the whole assembly is clamped together snugly by the axle, the dust seal is not part of the assembly.

standing at the rear of the bike, from left to right you should have

axle bolt/swingarm with chain adjuster inside/spacer/cush drive bearing/spacer inside cush drive/wheel bearing/sleeve inside rear wheel/wheel bearing/spacer/brake caliper bracket/swingarm with chain adjuster inside/washer/axle nut

if you are missing ANY PART of this assembly you need to rectify the situation

1 - 20 of 31 Posts