Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Shock came in the mail today. Quality is good. I am a little surprised by the small amount of travel that it seems to have, maybe 2 inches of shaft before the bump stop. I ordered it with the 100nnm spring which of I remember right is rated for 180lbs, I'm about 155 without gear and had to tighten it up about 1 turn on the collar to get the sag right. The clicker for the rebound gave decent feedback but is a bit hard to get to. I won't be able to give a review on it as it's raining and I don't really want to give an opinion on it before I get the fork cartridges installed and it gets the chance to work as a unit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The stock rear suspension is 4" at the axle, the stock shock only needs about 1.5" stroke to achieve that.

the racing boys shock has slightly more stroke, increasing travel slightly, the bottom out bumper on the racing bros a bit longer making it look like less stroke.

Its not a motocross bike it's not ment to have gobs of travel!.

The quality of the racing bros gear is exceptionally good. Side to side with ohlins there's nothing in it really, if anything the racing boys is nicer and at least it doesn't look like it was made in 1990 like the ohlins shock does, can't work out why they don't update there design with something modern, especially since the counterfeiters have the old school look down pat. The ohlins piggyback shock looks quite disgusting on the SF model which is probably part of why they made the reservoir unit. not too bad on the old grom though.

i have my rebound adjuster mounted at the bottom and it's reasonable easy to get to, that being said my piggyback makes mounting the other way impossible.

give the shock at least 10 hours use before commenting on it, as with anything like this there is a break in period before it performs how intended. You'll find you need a little more rebound adjustment after the first few rides.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I thought about flipping it but we will see once I get to put it through its paces, yea I don't want to make any judgements on it until I can get the cartridges in and use it as a system as intended. My friend went the ohlins route so it will be interesting compairing them, I just didn't see the sense in buying non adjustable forks and the ohlins shock seemed over priced at $500

·
Registered
199 Posts
The fork layout is identical for RB and ohlins, the difference is ohlins drilled a hole in the damping valve as a fixed damping bypass amount, RB made the damping bypass user adjustable.

The difference in feel is down to the spring, the RB spring feels a little less lively than the ohlins, any difference in feel is contributed mainly to the spring not the damping assuming the settings are similar. I've swapped them to test and confirm.

its not a bad idea to ride the ohlins and setup your adjusters on the RB to feel similar as a baseline, record it and start from there so you can go back if need be.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got the cartridges in, went pretty smooth except that in the video hard racing put up they mentioned the step ring that goes on the valve stack they were supposed to be facing up and down on the stock valves but when I opened it up they were both facing down the shaft on the stockers. I did make sure to install the rebound and compression according to the manual. If I remember right it was rebound down the shaft and compression opposite of the shaft. HVent had time to set them up yet but its already a major difference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The stock pistons have only rebound damping, for this reason both pistons have the step ring the same direction. Even if you inverted one one of the step rings, the piston assembly has additional compression bypass so the compression damping gained would be minimal and you may not have enough rebound damping then.

the aftermarket units only offer damping one direction, to be compression or rebound damping the the shim stack is changed from one end of the valve to the other thus the step ring must correspond not to bypass the shim stack.

For a baseline setup, set the compression adjustment in until you can feel a light amount of compression damping. The rebound set until it's noticeably slowing the rebound, then back off several clicks till it seems a touch faster than noticeably slowed. This should be very close to the base ohlins setup. Give it a bit of a ride, let it bed in a little then start playing.

the preload adjuster just changes the length of the fork it does not preload the spring or change it's feel in any way (other than placebo maybe). The out setting gives you the same length fork as the stock or ohlins, the in setting increases the ride height a few mm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cool thanks, I'm glad I'm not crazy about that ring. You sure do seem to have an in depth knowledge about suspension systems

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nah, I just like suspension, bought both the RB and ohlins kits to see the difference.

was always a marzocchi man racing mtb's had so many forks and shocks I can't count and I've had the whole lot in bits too lol.

The bike wil be totally different animal now you've spent money on the suspension.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
so i was able to go out with some friends this Saturday and hit up our regular route for some semi fast paced grom action. i say semi fast paced as the first half was full of lots of gravel and dirt the second half there was literally snow on the ground at the top of the mountain, and i dont mean just a little haha. all in all the 2bros suspension has performed amazingly. I am still dialing it in and need to cut down an allen wrench since my bars limit access to the fork adjustments. I set the forks up in their middle setting of compression and rebound and they are almost good. the spring for the forks is a bit heavy for me still but can be remedied with some rebound adjustment, compression is good, its using 70-80% of the suspension travel with no bottoming out and this was on a road with a lot of not so nice bumps so i imagine on the track its going to be just right. The rear shock also did great, it took a bit of adjusting the collars to get the feel right on it moving the sag from 3/4" to 1/2" and i also set the rebound adjustment in the middle of the adjustment. it will take some time on the track to really set them in.

my friend has full ohlins and comparing the 2bros to the ohlins i would buy the 2bros again in a heartbeat, he is also about my weight of 150lbs maybe a few lbs lighter and his forks imo are over sprung and over valved, they would be ideal for someone closer to 170+ he is only getting about 60-70% travel out of the front and they are super stiff, his rear shock is fine and has more adjustability than mine so i am sure it would out perform the 2 bros mono r rear shock but for the extra 200$ give me the racing bros.

First track day is coming fast feb 11th, ill drop in an give another update and try to get some video footage, cant wait to put these things to work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1OAuVBuPi/

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love my racing bros piggyback shock, went through a number of shocks before it. It's fantastic, my bike finally feels perfectly even front and back, stability perfect no bouncing nothing unexpected. Straight out works. More than enough adjustment to achieve any setup.

that being said, if your not confident with suspension setting the ohlins is dumbed down and could be a better choice and or the non piggyback racing bros as above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was curious how your track day went and how the shock performed? Im just now about to get my suspension ordered. Im also curious about the "Racing Bros Shicane HLR Shock" Im about 195lbs.

·
Super Moderator
903 Posts
Reviving an old thread - Just ordered a RB Shicane HLR for the rear of my Grom.

It'll probably force me to do the forks as well, so far the 30wt oil in the stock forks made a marked difference, but the lack of damping starts to really show when the bike starts to get pushed hard.

I will probably get the RB fork kit as well, I like how adjustable it is.

·
Super Moderator
903 Posts
Let us know how you like it. I have been thinking about getting either the mono or the schicane.
Will do. There's not much info to be had online about either shock (HLR or Mono), so I'll do my best to contribute as much info as I can. The Hi-Lo compression is what made me decide the HLR over Ohlins. If both shocks perform equally, I would rather have the more adjustable one.

I also ended up getting the RB Fork Kit as well. I can't stand those damn forks, especially when I switch between my big bike and the Grom. Pre/Comp/Reb adjustable, I'm all for it!

·
Super Moderator
903 Posts
Got the RB Shicane HLR installed today...oh my god. OH MY GOD! What a difference, and I haven't even gotten around to installing the fork kit yet. Currently running 30W w/ stock internals.

I'm only 140lb geared up, and the difference is night and day. Have to tune this weekend, but so far, its plush, supportive in mid stroke, and has already completely changed the nature of the bike when turning. So much more confidence inspiring, the rear end stays in place, no bucking or weird pogo-ing.

The rear end also seems incredibly active, even with the stock swingarm rubber bushings, so I'd say a rear shock upgrade is not *so* silly like some say even without replacing the bearings.

Reactions: CaliTree

·
Super Moderator
903 Posts
Fork kit installed over the weekend. If you're considering changing out the front internals for Ohlins, RB, whatever, just do it. It's a different bike afterwards. Still dialing in my settings front and rear, but they're about 80% there. I gained a consistent 10mph in corners at my local roads. No more vauge (dangerous) front end.

Now that the bike can be pushes, I want a BBK lol!

Reactions: sharkynrk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Fork kit installed over the weekend. If you're considering changing out the front internals for Ohlins, RB, whatever, just do it. It's a different bike afterwards. Still dialing in my settings front and rear, but they're about 80% there. I gained a consistent 10mph in corners at my local roads. No more vauge (dangerous) front end.

Now that the bike can be pushes, I want a BBK lol!
I can feel your excitement hitting me thru the computer screen and it makes me want to quit work early and go for a ride.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Installed the racingbros front fork kit and mono shock yesterday. Took the grom out for some local canyon carving and it's a completely different bike. Although I didn't dial in the settings yet the bike wants to be pushed harder. As of now t front's are a bit too stiff and rear shock needs quicker rebound settings.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts