Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the racingbros cartridge kit for Christmas and have enough $$$ to buy a rear shock to top off my suspension. So I'm torn between 2.

I weigh 160 geared up.

The yss stage 2 which is only spring preload adjustable so I should be able to at least set the sag, but what worries me is the spring is basically a one side fits all and I'm worried it's going to be over sprung for My weight. And this one is $200
https://www.steadygarage.com/store/...adjustable-coilover-rear-shock-honda-grom-125

Option 2 is the racingbros mono r which is sprung preload adjustable as well as rebound adjustable but no compression. So I should be able to set sag and hopefully adjust our any over sprung compression issues with the rebound as the spring on here is also one size fits all. This option is $75 more.
https://www.steadygarage.com/store/...ros-mono-r-coilover-rear-shock-honda-grom-125
Am I worrying to much about the spring being too stiff and should just go with the yss or is the rebound adjustment worth the extra $.

Anyone have experience in the track with either?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is the general consensus still that the rubber bushing is a major limiting factor? I would be inclined to do that before replacing the shock.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Since everyone's suggesting spend $500+

have you considered the piggyback racing bros at $400?

racing bros use exactly the same technology's as ohlins, in some cases better than what ohlins is prepared to offer on a mini bike part. (Not better than what they are capable of)

i see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with the racing bros shock, and steady garage lets you choose the spring rate.

i have both racing bros and ohlins fork kits, the technology is identical, for my weight/riding style I preferred the ohlins springs but the racing bros damping mechanism doesn't feel/work any different to the ohlins apart from having adjustable damping bypass as opposed to ohlins fixed bypass amount, ends up same thing you just get to choose.

only thing with racing bros, the preload adjuster is a height/semi travel adjuster, not a preload adjuster, that's neither here nor there anyway, but to be fair takegawa and multiple other company's offer so called preload adjusters that work identically.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Personally, I'd buy option 2 just because it's the same brand as your front.

I suck at track riding though, so I'm far from an expert. I just like matched stuff.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Is the general consensus still that the rubber bushing is a major limiting factor? I would be inclined to do that before replacing the shock.
I would modify the swing arm rubber bushing with real bearings before wasting my money on shocks, that is my opinion.

Happy New Year hauoli makahiki hou

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ive been running ohlins front and a YSS stage 2 rear all year no problems. got around 1000 track miles on it now and no issues. In fact i need new seals on the ohlins the YSS seems to be just fine lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would modify the swing arm rubber bushing with real bearings before wasting my money on shocks, that is my opinion.

Happy New Year hauoli makahiki hou
Just replacing the swingarm bushings for bearings isn't going to cut it for track duty. Will there be an improvement in swingarm articulation, sure but if anything it will take stiffness out of the rear and the stock shock will suck even more than it did before

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, pulled the trigger on the racing bros mono r shock, didn't want to spend 500 on an ohlins and didn't think the yea stage 2 was going to offer enough adjustability for the spring preload from the pictures that were shown so i had big concerns about it being over sprung for My 160lbs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interested in your feedback, as I have been eyeing that combo as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think it will be a great choice. The racing bros mono R at least has a proper shim stack and adjustable rebound.

Thats more than can be said for almost any other non reservoir type shock.

another $100 you get high and low speed compression adjustment but that's really a liability if you don't know what they do and how they effect your ride which I suspect is why ohlins didn't bother going down that road.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interested in your feedback, as I have been eyeing that combo as well.
I'll try and come back and update this thread but it will be a bit, been really cold and raining, we've been eyeballing the local mini track schedules so we can get this year started off right

·
Registered
7 Posts
What tool are y'all using to adjust the preload on the Racing Bros? I have a tool for the standard cutout type that it has as the lock ring, but I've never had a shock with an adjuster with those pin-holes. The collar metal is too soft to use a drift.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It comes with the tools but if you bought one second hand I'm imagining you can use a pair of hole punches or maybe even drill bits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I bought it with the shock already installed. I tried to put a pair of drifts in the holes to turn the collar, but even the gentle torque of my bare hands started to mung up the holes...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts