Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I put FIX in quotation marks because it is not so much a fix as an adjustment.

A few guys complained that the rear brake was weak. I felt it left a lot to be desired also. Just seemed I could not bend my ankle enough to push the lever down far enough to actually get some good stoping power out of it.

Try this:

With a 12mm and a 10mm open end wrench get under the right side of the bike, loosen the brake rod nut with the 12mm and then lengthen the brake rod itself with the 10 mm. The rod is threaded so when you lengthen it a bit it will raise the brake peddle itself. Re-lock it in position by tightening the 12mm nut again. A little goes a long way and you might want to test the brake lever for feel before you tighten everything up again. If you go too much the lever will be too high and uncomfortable to raise your toe to apply the brake.

I raised mine about 3/8" of an inch and it made a nice difference. The rear brake is not any stronger but I don't have to push down as far on the peddle and I was able to lock it up no problem this evening.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did just the opposite yesterday and dropped mine as low as it'd go. Just personal preference. I have locked the rear up all day but I think it's just because I've burnt the "new" off the rear disc, don't worry everyone, that brake WILL tighten up =)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good tip to adjust the brake to suit
I like mine low as well, I did adjust the gear leaver as well

My rear brake is now fine, after the initial doubts.
I tend to use the rear rather than the front.
It stops that nose dive effect.

Dog
It is all preferences itch normal everyday cruising, but the front provides 80% of your stopping power and the rear only 20%. Use what you like, but definitely get good with the front, so in the event of an emergency you can get the bike slowed down or stopped.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It is all preferences itch normal everyday cruising, but the front provides 80% of your stopping power and the rear only 20%. Use what you like, but definitely get good with the front, so in the event of an emergency you can get the bike slowed down or stopped.
Yes yes yes. The front brake is the brake. The rear has much less ability to slow the bike. It's just physics. On my Gsxr 1000 I still have the stock pads in the rear after 16000 miles. That's how little I use the rear. For me the rear brake just holds the bike on a hill or its used for squid skids!

·
Registered
412 Posts
but the front provides 80% of your stopping power and the rear only 20%.
Do you know, I was going to say I use the front as well for emergency stopping.
But the Grom don't go fast enough for emergency stopping.....lol

My Honda Transalp700 has linked brakes and I fugin hate them
FYI 45years riding experience.

Dog

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yea I don't think it has anything to do with pedal height. Jus gotta break in the pads an rotors. I didn't even get that far, swapped to my brembo set up before it could fully lock up.

What's a squid slide?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I may try this out. I primarily use the front brake on street bikes and the rear on dirt bikes. The front brake is what I use to load up the front tire going into a turn. I don't know if I could ever do it any other way. Like Stray, I have a few years of riding under my belt and you just use what works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please describe your "brembo setup"
my rear brake is so weak i have been using my heel to get any power on it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Please describe your "brembo setup"
my rear brake is so weak i have been using my heel to get any power on it.
How much miles u got? Tyga and moto x sells a adapter bracket for the 84mm brembo. Its a single row dual piston. So it's not that slide caliper stuff that comes stock. My rears is better than my front right now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rear brake is worthless in a street bike. I did a Keith Code Superbike school at Mid-Ohio a few years back. They never said anything about how much brake ratio front/rear to use. So I asked. They told me exit keyhole and hammer down the back straight as fast as you can. At the halfway point of straightaway (probably about 145 mph) sit up and use only the rear brake.
I did that and would not have made the corner if I didn't get on the front brake last second.
Kind of a pointless mod, doubtful it will do much.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rear brake is worthless in a street bike. I did a Keith Code Superbike school at Mid-Ohio a few years back. They never said anything about how much brake ratio front/rear to use. So I asked. They told me exit keyhole and hammer down the back straight as fast as you can. At the halfway point of straightaway (probably about 145 mph) sit up and use only the rear brake.
I did that and would not have made the corner if I didn't get on the front brake last second.
Kind of a pointless mod, doubtful it will do much.
Maybe when this bike can do 145 ill consider ur input. ;)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe when this bike can do 145 ill consider ur input. ;)

Ok. Real world application. Go your normal speed into your driveway or any other place you have to brake with a good amount of deceleration to make a corner. Use only the rear brake and see if you make it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ok. Real world application. Go your normal speed into your driveway or any other place you have to brake with a good amount of deceleration to make a corner. Use only the rear brake and see if you make it.
Why do u keep going on about using only the rear brake? Pretty sure is wasn't designed to do 100 percent braking. I used it about 30rear/70front. How about u test it, ill keep it simple. Go straight, stop using only front. Do the same wit front an a lil of the rear. Which one stops in a shorter distance? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why do u keep going on about using only the rear brake? Pretty sure is wasn't designed to do 100 percent braking. I used it about 30rear/70front. How about u test it, ill keep it simple. Go straight, stop using only front. Do the same wit front an a lil of the rear. Which one stops in a shorter distance? :)

I'm going on about it by saying it doesn't do anything. My earlier post was about not wasting time on a rear brake mod because its pointless. I rarely use mine.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I got to say something now. We all need both brakes working in our motorcycles. If you choose not to use the rear great for you. This thread is about a solution for some that feel the rear brake performance is poor and needs some help. You are untitled to your opinion and you have voiced it. You ride however you like. On the track I also use 100 percent front. On the street I want both brakes working 100 percent even if I don't use them to 100 percent. You saying do nothing is a bad idea for some riders with less experience who benefit from good brakes front and rear. On the street you are rarely using the brakes to maximum effect so the best way to stop is application of both brakes. I'm not going to spend time on that though. Many MSF courses teach proper braking for the street and that is a good place to start for less experienced riders.

Please don't confuse people. Your opinion is yours and others may choose to do something else.

If you have a suggestion on how to help the rear brake on a Grom work better please let people know what you think.

·
Registered
474 Posts
lol my groms rear brake locks up @ 50% pressure

my r1 locks up rear brake @ 20% pressure,

i agree you guys aint stomping hard enough on the pedal to wear off the new rotor surface and actually embed your brake pads in

now the front brakes on the other hand are poopy, my grom doesnt do anything till after 50% lever movement, my r1 starts stopping on a fukn dime @ 2% lever movement

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got to say something now. We all need both brakes working in our motorcycles. If you choose not to use the rear great for you. This thread is about a solution for some that feel the rear brake performance is poor and needs some help. You are untitled to your opinion and you have voiced it. You ride however you like. On the track I also use 100 percent front.
wow dood, i bet you get passed by guys using both brakes on the track all the time, you should practice your rear brake on track to help settle the suspension chassis and not load up the front end 100% when diving into the corner, the chassis will be much more settled and easier to flick around versus when its transitioning all the weight in the front end when ONLY using the front brakes on track.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts