Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done anything except adjust the chain over the last year, tightening to 44 ft lbs. I replaced tonight - a 10 minute job that cost me around $10.

20150531_205358.jpg 20150531_205418.jpg

Anyone else experienced this? It seems like the lock nut does cut into the threads a bit.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I haven't done anything except adjust the chain over the last year, tightening to 44 ft lbs. I replaced tonight - a 10 minute job that cost me around $10.

View attachment 20674 View attachment 20675

Anyone else experienced this? It seems like the lock nut does cut into the threads a bit.
all it takes is to put that nut on a lil crooked and bingo its stripped

fyi

you dont have to take the nut off to adjust the chain

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nut was never removed. Only loosened enough to adjust, then retightened. I follow the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Probably a dealer fuck up durig assembly. I had an exhaust bolt that was totally WRECKED and the bike had under 100 miles on it. Someone put it on crooked and buzzed it in with an air gun. Screwed up the bolt and the nut that was attached to the metal strap.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Probably a dealer fuck up durig assembly. I had an exhaust bolt that was totally WRECKED and the bike had under 100 miles on it. Someone put it on crooked and buzzed it in with an air gun. Screwed up the bolt and the nut that was attached to the metal strap.
any nut/bolt should be hand threaded a lil first before applying an air gun

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its off in the pic?
When I replaced it, I took the thrashed bolt off and snapped that picture. If you want to be nit picky, it was never off until I realized it was totally hammered, ordered a new bolt, nut and replaced it...then took that picture. It would make no sense to remove the nut to adjust the chain. Duh.

It's either one of two things... It was jacked up during bike assembly, or that lock nut trashes the threads of the bolt. It's most likely the former, since nobody else seems to have this problem.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
When I replaced it, I took the thrashed bolt off and snapped that picture. If you want to be nit picky, it was never off until I realized it was totally hammered, ordered a new bolt, nut and replaced it...then took that picture. It would make no sense to remove the nut to adjust the chain. Duh.

It's either one of two things... It was jacked up during bike assembly, or that lock nut trashes the threads of the bolt. It's most likely the former, since nobody else seems to have this problem.
warranty issue

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just experienced the same thing. The threads are totally screwed up, gotta order a new rear axle and nut.
I have had to adjust my chain quite a few times in the last 5,500 miles (proally 6-7 times) and always performed it per the manual
with a torque wrench to 44lbs. Just loosen enough to make the adjustment and re-tighten, never took the nut off all the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I changed my rear axle nut to a (assuming) higher quality, Japanese, castellated one just because I wanted to use a clip as the locking mechanism...of course the axle needs to be drilled for this to work! Hopefully this nut wont give me any problems in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts