Honda Grom banner

Real swingarm bushings!

21K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  MNNTHBX 
#1 ·
#7 ·
For a hundy sixty you can have real bearings AND an aluminum swinger. FYI...

Reactions: ikeus685
#9 ·
Installed them without issues thanks to video install and installing tools provided...thought oem bushings were going to be harder to take out...
Didnt make a final picture of proper install (only have a picture of them installed with the oem washers, wich dont have to be mounted with the kit installed. But i made the picture to show it to greg at mnnthbx)
Still have to test drive them, but swing arm now actually swings!!!!

Enviat des del meu LG-H870 usant Tapatalk

#13 ·
I was able to take mine for a good ride yesterday and what a difference... it actually feels like I have working suspension on the back of the bike now!

So basically, the rubber bushings don't really do much of anything but cause binding in the full motion of the swingarm taking away quite a bit from the rear shock. With the bronze bushings the swingarm moves through it's full range of motion and actually allows the shock to do it's job. For the first time, I actually have static sag on my bike!

#15 ·
Just received and installed the bushings today. Super fast shipping from MNNTHBX, thanks guys.

Heads up to those with Driven rear sets. You remove the outer swing arm washers during the rear set install and these bushings push your rear sets outward back to a stock position, leaving about a 3mm gap in the bottom bolt space. I ending up just shoving 3 x 8mm crush washers into each side for the time being.

I haven't ridden it yet, but the swing arm moves free and I now have to reset my sag in the rear RB adjustable shock. You can definitely tell how restrictive the stock bushings were. Can't wait to take it for a ride.
Auto part Suspension part Suspension Vehicle Wheel
Auto part Pipe Engine
Auto part Tire Wheel Photography Suspension
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Pipe Vehicle

#19 ·
Has anyone run the swingarm bushings with the stock rear shock? For just commuting comfort and slightly better rear suspension performance, would you recommend? My concern is that the stock shock is so poorly damped that it may start to pogo if the swingarm can move more freely.

#20 ·
I installed my bushings last week and felt a pretty big difference. For reference I installed the Racing Bros fork kit and the Shicane HLR rear shock. I'm not a professional at suspension setup but I know how to set rider sag by adjusting the spring preload and getting the rebound set so it doesn't bounce excessively. I got obsessive about tuning my R6 suspension and I watch a lot of Dave Moss videos lol. When I got the Grom, I knew I had to get a really adjustable suspension setup or I would never be happy with it. I rode the Racing Bros setup for a bit before installing the MNNTHBX swingarm bushings, so I got a real good feel for how the suspension felt. The install was pretty straight forward using the tools and watching the YT installation video. I left the rear shock settings as I had used them on the stock bushings to see if there would be any difference in setup.

Right off the bat I noticed how stiff the suspension felt and there was barely any sag with me sitting on it. This told me how much the stock bushings were causing the swingarm to bind and not want to move at all. Previously I had about an 35mm of sag setup and I was barely getting 10mm after the bushings. After taking about 2 full turns out of the preload adjuster, I got it back to around 35mm of sag again. The rebound and compression were also way stiff. The rear suspension definitely feels livelier and more active vs. the stock swingarm bushings. After spending some time tuning the Hi/Lo speed compression I was able to get it feeling plush on the harder hits like on potholes and bumpier roads, while be very supportive while cornering hard. These bushings are a "must do" mod IMO if you want the best suspension action out of your Grom.

#24 ·
Either would be 10X better than the vulcanized OEM mounts. You can't tell the difference between bearing bronze or bearings, and the bronze lasts longer, requiring less maintenance. The bushing kits probably makes more difference than a shock, however shocks give you the ability to set the bike up for your weight, which alone has huge value.

#27 ·
Yeah, sorry. I'm a total roadie and never go in the dirt. A lighter Grom with a more precisely operating rear swing arm could only help in any off road situation... however I have no idea as to its strength.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.