Honda Grom banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Has anyone run the swingarm bushings with the stock rear shock? For just commuting comfort and slightly better rear suspension performance, would you recommend? My concern is that the stock shock is so poorly damped that it may start to pogo if the swingarm can move more freely.
I'm running a stock rear shock on one of my grom and yes there is a very big difference and rides better to me and I wt 215 lbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm running a stock rear shock on one of my grom and yes there is a very big difference and rides better to me and I wt 215 lbs.
Thanks for the reply. Based on your experience I think I will prioritize the bushings before the shock itself, not sure I will ever want to do an Ohlins on this bike, but I may consider a YSS or Kitaco at some point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the advantage Off road wise to; bushings or needle bearing or even a new swing arm with needle bearings? Is this mod more important than a decent rear shock?

·
Vendor
1,790 Posts
What is the advantage Off road wise to; bushings or needle bearing or even a new swing arm with needle bearings? Is this mod more important than a decent rear shock?
Either would be 10X better than the vulcanized OEM mounts. You can't tell the difference between bearing bronze or bearings, and the bronze lasts longer, requiring less maintenance. The bushing kits probably makes more difference than a shock, however shocks give you the ability to set the bike up for your weight, which alone has huge value.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I bought a Kepspeed aluminum rear swingarm because it kills three birds with one stone. :)

Reduced bike weight
Chain adjusters
Needle bearings

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for both of your replies.. I note that most up grade frame and suspension mods are directed towards road racer set up with no mention on how these would apply toward off road riding.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for both of your replies.. I note that most up grade frame and suspension mods are directed towards road racer set up with no mention on how these would apply toward off road riding.
Yeah, sorry. I'm a total roadie and never go in the dirt. A lighter Grom with a more precisely operating rear swing arm could only help in any off road situation... however I have no idea as to its strength.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I ride on and off road, on and off a sidewalk, bad roadways esp in Calif roads where pot holes are not fixed fast enough, over tree stomps,over rail crossing, along creek bed, etc. The stock swing arm will handle all that, but if you want to upgrade your swing arm adding the bushings is a plus.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts