Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust is pretty loud, so when coming home early from a night shift I’ll tend to pull my clutch in and coast the couple of metres up the road and on to the drive but when I do this the engine sometimes makes this horrible rattling noise, which it never makes any other time.

is it a chain tension issue?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Possibly the cam chain tensioner? What size engine do you have? How many miles on it?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Have you cleaned and lubed the drive chain? They can get noisy if neglected, probably always noisy but exhaust covers it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standard 125, it’s done 4700 miles. I’ll see if I’ve captured the sound on my go pro at any point

·
Registered
819 Posts
Prob not cam chain then, i've got over 7500 on my 2020. Clean, lube, and tighten your drive chain, see if that helps.

Reactions: Charlie_

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleaned and lubed the drive chain and it runs a lot smoother between gear changes especially.
The sound seems to happen still when I’m downshifting and easing off the clutch, could be a slightly loose clutch cable?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I clean and lube my drive chain every weekend, keeps me from being the slow grom on the block
You must have some fast friends. It’s hard to imagine your bikes ever being slow with the mods you have!

I heard a weird rattle the other day on my bike too. I have no idea what it was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts