Honda Grom banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Grom - Candy Blue ABS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I left my Grom on my back porch for about a week while I was out of town, and a rodent has taken up residence inside it somewhere. I pulled off all the plastic covers and cowlings and found stashes of food hidden inside it (I guess they like pumpkin seeds, which were in the back yard after Halloween).

So far I've found two wires that have been chewed through. I need to figure out where these wires used to go to so I can work on replacing them.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Automotive tire Plant Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

The pink and blue one coming from the coil pack, I'm guessing controls spark somehow. I tried starting it and I hear the fuel pump start, it turns over, but it never sparks. Where is the other end of that wire, and what's it for?

The black one coming from the rear brake is next to a green and yellow one. I'm thinking that's probably for the brake light but I didn't think to test it yet. The box above that, I believe is the starter relay?

Sorry for the laziness, I got home late, found this, and I'm tired.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally had enough free time to track the broken wires down. There were only two that were damaged, and fortunately they had just enough length left that I was able to strip them back and splice in some extra wire. After I spliced the wires, I wrapped everything back up in electrical tape and heat shrink wrap. I'm really glad they weren't chewed further back, but as it is, I had to cut through some of the existing heat shielding and electrical tape.

My initial guess about the wires, after a quick look, was correct. The black one was for the brake light on the rear brake, and the pink and blue one was one of two wires on the coil pack. The other rear brake light wire is green and black, and the other one off the coil pack was black. All I had on hand was black and red, so I used black to repair both of them.

After repairing the wires, I took the bike out for a quick ride. The check engine light was on, but it turned off after stopping/starting the engine a couple more times. It must have been related to me disconnecting the battery, I guess?

Pictures of my crappy soldering job if anyone is interested...
Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Crankset Bicycle handlebar

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, while I appreciate the rats helping me "go green", I did consider coating the wires in pepper spray gel or something, to add a little flavor to their diets. What could go wrong??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts