Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to race, now I ride track days as much as I can. How about you? Any good racing or track day stories?

Im off to NC Bike. Another new track for me this year. Woo hoo! Wish I had my grom to ride around in the pits.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I used to race, now I ride track days as much as I can. How about you? Any good racing or track day stories?

Im off to NC Bike. Another new track for me this year. Woo hoo! Wish I had my grom to ride around in the pits.

Where in NC is this?

·
Registered
530 Posts
At Shenandoah (Summit Point) I was coming up the bridge straight and people were on the bridge waving like crazy so I throttled more. A fawn ran onto the track right at the entry to the karussel so I had to shoot straight down into that big banked karussel. I busted the turn already and thought I may get in trouble for going down there but I continued to throttle on all the way through it lol

Saw a guys 1 of 7 500cc bike burn to the ground after a backfire in his pit. Scorched his tent, van, tool box, bike was a loss. I nearly cried, it was a beautiful machine, and fast as fuck.

Oh and you're gonna love NC Bike, run up to NY Safety Track as well. I used to ride with Team ProMotion while I lived in WV and MD.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Let me know what you think of NCBike. I was gonna go last time I was home, but ended up going to JenningsGP instead. I hear there are a couple turns that guys are sketched out about.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let me know what you think of NCBike. I was gonna go last time I was home, but ended up going to JenningsGP instead. I hear there are a couple turns that guys are sketched out about.
NC Bike. If its going to be hot there it'll be scorching because of the humidity. I was going to do two days but didn't. Several reasons why. One was the weather. I've only been hotter once, at VIR in July. Then it was 100 with 70 percent humidity. The first lap was great you cooled off then you started slow roasting every lap. It was 90 at NC Bike. You didn't go into the sun unless you had to. I'd go again in the spring or winter if no better options were avaiable. It is super easy to get to from DC. Do not stay at the super 8 across the freeway.

The track. This is not a race track. This is a test track. It's fun for sport riding. I would prefer marked edges to the Tarmac surface. You are on your knee for most of the lap. There were many corners I liked. Most in fact. There are a few notable exceptions. Let me break it down for you.

T1 hard braking corner entry from the only real straight to rolling on throttle exit to T2
T2 is an intresting multiple line multiple apex corner.
T3 and 4 are long esses, I had a nice front push through three. , the whole track is mostly flat with little positive camber.
T5 goes on for ever. It's the most note worthy corner because you are turning for so long. It's really cool for the first few sessions. Then it gets boring because is so long. T5 ended up being the corner you had to get through so you could get to the best part of the track at least for me.
T6-T11 for me are the best part of the track. T6 feels like a decreasing radius corner, leading to 7 entrance on throttle to widen your line to a flat feeling apex with a wide exit all rolling on knee down, feels challenging every time.
8 high speed left knee down. Starts the fast but increasingly tighter esses.
Short wide open shoot to 9 easy brake, roll off, downshift to set the entry speed, knee down
10 is schetcy. Lower speed still knee dow leading to the tight fun T11. Team pro motion had airbags there covering the Armco but as I got up to speed after the third session that corner was one that i wouldnt Want to crash in. It might result in a heavy impact on an immovable barrier.
11 is fun tight slight rise first gear wheels every time on ext to he straight.

As an experienced rider I would go elsewhere but if you haven't done many track days you need to go. You will learn a ton and be exposed to many different corners. It's a good track for practicing body position and throttle control.

I have to give two thums up to Glen of Team Pro Motion. Geat guy fun org, well run. The track staff at NCCAR, NC Bike are welcoming friendly people, the facilities are good and he plans for expansion are impressive. Will be back once the new tracks are done.

·
Registered
161 Posts
thanks for the thorough review. I'm an intermediate guy myself still, so maybe it would be cool, but most tracks are built with cars in mind, and some aren't fun to ride on with bikes. JenningsGP though, if you ever get to N Florida, motorcycle only, so no braking ripples and such. It's fun, but zero elevation change. Barber was amazing, NOLA flat but fun, NJMP Thunderbolt was very fun for me, and Carolina Motorsports Park was cool too, but rough on tires. I bought my R6 at CMP and dialed in the suspension there

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cmp is fun. Spinning the tire up the hill every lap was a blast. Bumpy though. Dave helped me out with my suspension during a Track Tactics Trackday. The best group ever. Like the track. Don't love it. I'm spoiled. I'd do barber or road Atlanta. For and extra hour or so drive time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey guys,

as I have now some experience with the bike, I decided to write a review, especially that you are all very excited in the US these days in the finish of the long waiting time. It will be maybe a bit long in the end, but I hope it will be usefull. I am not a professional rider, but nowdays I am rather riding on track days with my Kawa and just started to commute with the Grom. I never had such a small, lightweight, low power bike before, so I am just learning, how to handle it. So I am not writing the ultimate truth, but my personal feelings.

On the streets the suspension is not the best on bumpy roads, but of course it is still great fun. As we all know the front is extremely soft, but I still never bottomed it actually. Today I took the bike to a gokart track nearby to try it and understand the suspension and the tyres a bit better.
My bike is still stock at the moment, but I changed the tyres to stock size Michelin Power Pure SC. On the way to the track I did 96kmh/60mph top speed in a normal riding position on flat road, but when I lean forward to the handlebar I did 106kmh/66mph. I am 183cm/6ft and 76kg/168lbs without gears.

The first laps on the track was very cautious, I was trying to warm the tyres and my self first, especially that I thought the front will be crap. But actually it was not an issue at all, it was smooth for me and the tyres were also great. After 10minutes I started to increase the speed and tried to move on the bike properly, but it did not feel really good that time, so I was still doing some laps sitting "simply" on the bike. Then I started to scratch the pegs, so I had some confidence, that I am doing good. To be honest I was scared to death at the first scratch, as I did not expect it. :big smile: I did something like 30laps in total, when we changed the direction to clockwise and as I am better in right turns I enjoy it more. And finally I was there, I was immediately drag knee in the first long right turn, I was more than happy. :cool2: But after a couple of laps I started to scratch the pegs and the boots as well, while my knee was down and it did not feel too good. Probably it is "normal", but I am affraid in these cases it is easy to loose the traction on the rear. By the way I used 3rd gear in the corners and the speed was around 60-70kmh/35mph-45mph. Probably it could have been much higher, but this is my only Grom, so I do not want to wreck it and I am not a pro.

So all in all it was great fun today and my mission was accomplished with the knee down. I knew it already, but lessons learned, the suspension is too soft. Probably it would be better with thicker oil in the front and with the mysterious Tyga preload adjuster. Kitaco, YSS or Ohlins rear shock would stiff the back and then the pegs would maybe not touch the ground anymore. Of course the pegs could be also changed, but as I also commute with it, I am not sure, if I should upgrade them.

Hope it was interesting!
Balazs
Picture is not the best with the garbage can, but that is all I have. :crazy:
730-albums34-picture1428.jpg

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that. I'll have my bike on the track ASAP. I live the shot with leathers. Very cool.

You can take the peg feelers off the pegs for more ground clearance. Honda always makes the very long.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bad. Ass. I think I'm wearing my leathers to the dealer and burn outta there once I have the keys lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
<--- See my avatar.

3 Surgeries to put humpty-dumpty back together again. I passed 3 on the straight. 45deg right, decreasing radius left 200deg when I started dragging the rearset in one corner. Tires were there but I just couldn't get any further off the bike. The rest is history and medical bills. LOL

Time to get back and rip it on the Grom!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts