Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 2015 Grom with about 1800 miles. For the past 200 miles or so, when I am in 4th gear at around 55 mph (typically WOT), I hear a high pitched "screeching" noise. It almost sounds like wind through my helmet but it is coming from the bike. If I loosen up on the throttle, it changes pitch and comes to a stop. I recently adjusted the chain thinking it might be too loose but the sound hasn't stopped. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could be the squealer on your brake pads. But with that low of miles brakes should still be good. I'm just guessing here. Could also be that the cam bearings is not getting enough oil at WOT again just a guess. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Hello all! I have a 2015 Grom with about 1800 miles. For the past 200 miles or so, when I am in 4th gear at around 55 mph (typically WOT), I hear a high pitched "screeching" noise. It almost sounds like wind through my helmet but it is coming from the bike. If I loosen up on the throttle, it changes pitch and comes to a stop. I recently adjusted the chain thinking it might be too loose but the sound hasn't stopped. Any thoughts?
When adj drive chain slack make sure you have at lease 1/2 slack/play when pressing the chain from the center of the length of the chain when the grom is on the ground, also when the rear wheel is up in the air rotate the tire and check the alignment of the rear sprocket teeth to the center of the chain. By rotating the tire you can see if the sprocket teeth is off center by looking at the sprocket/chain.

make sure your chain is cleaned often and also use chain lube.

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question Regarding "Screeching Noise" - High Speeds

Thank you both for your quick replies! The noise occurs without use of the brakes (and typically only in 4th) but I will check. Now that you both mentioned it (cam bearings or chain), it sounds like something could use oiling/lube. I will clean/lube the chain again and see if that helps. It's probably something as simple as that!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That screeching noise is actually relatively common. no one to date has figured out exactly what does it since nothing ever seems to break from it. My guess is the starter one way sprag clutch but that's all it is, a guess.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That screeching noise is actually relatively common. no one to date has figured out exactly what does it since nothing ever seems to break from it. My guess is the starter one way sprag clutch but that's all it is, a guess.
I think I found the cause to the screech!

I had this a few months back, turned out to be the clutch collar. Part number is below. The stock collar had some sort of film over it, I think the noise was from the collar not getting lubricated enough when spinning on the clutch guide. The part is only a couple bucks too, and since I replaced it I've gone WOT for miles and no noise!

22116-KPG-T00COLLAR, CLUTCH (OUTER)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch collar. Huh. Makes sense. Glad to hear it's common (that makes me feel a lot better). Thank you for the replies! I love this forum. I will look into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this thread is old but has anyone else confirmed that the noise stopped after replacing that collar? because mine is doing it and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I know this thread is old but has anyone else confirmed that the noise stopped after replacing that collar? because mine is doing it and it is driving me absolutely nuts.
Definitely had this issue on my grom when i bought it used. Replaced the clutch color, thrust washer, and TOB (all stupid cheap parts n may as well when you are in there).

The color will get this way if you are one of those people who will sit at a stoplight in gear with the clutch in for long periods of time.

A good conformation of this issues is if you are crusing down the road and it starts squealing, pull the clutch in, if pitch / tone changes its the clutch collar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just noticed this too. I only have 250 miles on my 2019 grom and WOT at around 55 mph will start a whine or whistle type sound. When it backs off to about 50 mph it stops and won't do it again until WOT and around 55 mph. However if I am at 55 mph and only 95% throttle, it doesn't happen, just grip all the way on WOT and 55 mph or above 55 mph. Just did a 143cc BBK and still does it now and before the BBK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts