Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that now tyga has pre load adjusters on there site... Anyone install them? Did they do much? Any info on these would be great

·
Registered
311 Posts
Springs way too soft to make any difference unless you weigh in <150lbs.

Now with a different set of springs, whenever those will develop is unknown, then I can see the benefit for fine tuning.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did some math. Drew a few assumptions.

Without knowing the compression on the springs, I come up with ~41lbs/in each fork spring.
If we assume there's 1" of compression then I get ~26lbs/in each.

My static sag is ~1.65" with my 275lbs gut.

Could all be hooey here but the number I come up with say that porkies should look to fork springs before even considering these adjusters.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Did some math. Drew a few assumptions.

Without knowing the compression on the springs, I come up with ~41lbs/in each fork spring.
If we assume there's 1" of compression then I get ~26lbs/in each.

My static sag is ~1.65" with my 275lbs gut.

Could all be hooey here but the number I come up with say that porkies should look to fork springs before even considering these adjusters.
All well and good on the theory but actually the TYGA pre-load adjusters do work. We wouldn't sell them if they didn't. First thing I did with our MSX125 when we got it 9 months ago was to make some bushes that increased pre-load and it really helped reduce the diving under braking. Encouraged by this, we designed the pre-load adjusters and these offer the advantage of my bushes but with some adjustability and bling thrown in for good measure. Of course they don't transform the front end to GP spec but then again, it doesn't cost the price of a house or require a full on workshop to upgrade. I weigh 94 kg, and I'd definitely qualify as one of your porkies LOL Right, I'm off on my push bike now you've made me feel guilty :(

·
Registered
311 Posts
94kg? Ha! You barely register on the pork radar.
They are a step in the right direction though.
I reserve my skepticism until I see/ride a bike with a 120+kg rider.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss preload adjusters and heavier oil. Very few really understand suspension and much of it is counter-intuitive.

You want the fork and shock springs to compress just from rider weight, a.k.a. static preload. The primary function of suspension is keeping the tires in contact with the ground. As you ride over depressions, the spring has to "fire" the wheel downward quickly enough to prevent daylight from getting beneath the tire tread. Damping and ride quality are, in reality, secondary concerns. Yes, they matter...a lot; they're still not #1 priority, from an engineering viewpoint.

The Reader's Digest version is that oil viscosity takes care of most of the dynamics (i.e. speed at which the fork legs move), both compression and rebound as part of a balancing act with the springs and both GVW + unsprung weight. Also, consider that the OEMs usually use variable-rate springs. Thus, linear calculations can be, and usually are, wildly off-the-mark. FYI, stiffer, linear-rate springs and the matched re-valving needed will usually result in a jarring ride quality...not what I'd want for a road bike.

Spend the few bucks needed to source some heavier fork oil + preload adjusters plus an afternoon for testing & tuning them. You may be more than pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
94kg? Ha! You barely register on the pork radar.
They are a step in the right direction though.
I reserve my skepticism until I see/ride a bike with a 120+kg rider.
LOL Ok, now you're talking! I'll admit we didn't test this weight of rider, but every little helps and the more you preload the springs the better. Thicker oil too in theory (have you see the treacle they put in as stock?)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Interesting T_O. But from an engineering standpoint, the primary functions of the suspension are to keep the tire in contact with the road surface AND to keep the wheel bearings from exploding from the inertial effects of the bike/rider mass.

I can attest that I'm well at the end of the bell curve when it comes to potential Grom riders. But there are several here, in the initial run, that are +110kg.
To recommend fork oil and these adjusters as a panacea for the fork damping woes is a farce in itself. Granted its a superior product over nothing OE offers.

If/when additional spring rates are available, I will be on the hunt for a set of these adjusters. Until then...

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I can attest that I'm well at the end of the bell curve when it comes to potential Grom riders. But there are several here, in the initial run, that are +110kg.
To recommend fork oil and these adjusters as a panacea for the fork damping woes is a farce in itself.
Well, we at TYGA are certainly not claiming that. We are just claiming they make a noticeable difference especially with diving and are a cost effective upgrade. Honda have made it difficult to upgrade the front end and this one of the gripes of the Grom, so hopefully they will listen to feedback and do something in the future about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone got their order in yet? I'm seriously considering them but I would like a review on them before I make a decision?

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
231 Posts
I put a set on my Grom. Very simple to do, and they look good too. I initially set them halfway, the second thread. The bike still dives when I use the brakes, but it dives at a much slower rate, if that makes sense. I'm going to crank them all the way down on the next ride and see how they do. Verdict: I think they do something. Heavier fork oil would be a good idea too. :smile:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I plan on putting 15w in the fork over the winter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
** never mind, just read the other suspension thread**
Adjusters and new fork oil for what...100 bucks? The next step would be replacement springs for what..... 500 bucks? Just wonderin'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts