Honda Grom banner

41 - 60 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
My dealer will not give me an OTD price yet because he says a couple of things have not been confirmed by Honda. Shipping/destination is the main one. If Honda charges him $300 he is going to charge me $300 but Honda does not charge the same amount for shipping/destination on every bike. I know I will pay full retail $2999 and the dealer will make $50 or so on that. Dealers make about $90-$100 on a bike that retails for about $4500 so that should give you an idea of the minimal profit built into the MSPR of the Grom and Ruckus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My dealer will not give me an OTD price yet because he says a couple of things have not been confirmed by Honda. Shipping/destination is the main one. If Honda charges him $300 he is going to charge me $300 but Honda does not charge the same amount for shipping/destination on every bike. I know I will pay full retail $2999 and the dealer will make $50 or so on that. Dealers make about $90-$100 on a bike that retails for about $4500 so that should give you an idea of the minimal profit built into the MSPR of the Grom and Ruckus.
The Honda Powersports website lists the destination charge as $125.00 on the Grom. Why would he not believe what's listed there?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
This is what my friend sent me on our Hayabusa website, he lives in Thailand and runs a major Hotel, he also just bought a ZX 1400 which is about $26,000-$30,000 US dollars over in Thailand. I posted some info on the Hayabusa website since we have a couple of riders who want a GROM as pit bikes when they go to the Salt flats or races.

Those videos are all from Thailand- the Honda MSX-125 runs about $2200.

Engine: 4 stroke, PGM-FI Single over head camshaft, Air-cooled
Capacity: 124.9 cc.
Bore x stroke: 52.4 x57.9 mm.
Compression ratio: 9.3:1
Transmission & Clutch type: 4 speed with hand clutch lever
Tranmission ratio: 3.350/2.266
Starter: Electric starter
Dimension(WxLxH): 750 x 1,764 x 990 mm.
Wheel base: 1,204 mm.
Seat height: 754 mm.
Fuel tank: 5.5 litres
Frame: Back bone
Suspension: Front Telescopic USD 31mm., Rear Swing arm with singgle shock absorber
Weight: 102 kg.
Brake: Front single disk brake double piston 220 mm, Rear Disk brake with single piston 190 mm.
Wheel: Alloy 12 inches.
Tyre size: (F)120/70-12 51L -Tubeless
(R)130/70-12 56L -Tubeless
Retail price: 66,000 Baht.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Different states do different things. I'm just glad I got hit with 59 doc fee and that's it. Tax to me is irrelevant because it has to paid on any retail purchase. IMHO

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The Honda Powersports website lists the destination charge as $125.00 on the Grom. Why would he not believe what's listed there?
Good point but what Philip said. Dealers are all over the country so it doesnt make sense to me that Honda would have a flat rate for shipping to ALL dealers. Say they are coming from Torrance, it should be cheaper to get it to Whittier than say New York New York.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good point but what Philip said. Dealers are all over the country so it doesnt make sense to me that Honda would have a flat rate for shipping to ALL dealers. Say they are coming from Torrance, it should be cheaper to get it to Whittier than say New York New York.

DEST fees are ALWAYS across the board. and most always on the high side. coming from Japan/Asian the only "CHEAP" places to ship to are west coast ports or cities within 100 miles. then gulf states. everything else hits rail and or big rigs from long beach, sf or portland or gulf state ports.
Now for the costlier deliveries;
Hawaii's deliveries make no sense, go to long beach then back to Hawaii (9/10, not always) and Alaska.

Guam/puerto rico are similar to Hawaii, land west coast or gulf then go from there.

The prices are averaged out, it obviously cost A LOT more than 125 to ship to alaska/Hawaii/North east BUT it costs a LOT less for La, SF, SD, Portland, Seattle, Dallas, even New york compared to other smaller states around the area.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Dealers have certain warehouses that the majority of their orders are released from. Example a dealer in CA will pull from X warehouse while us in TN will pull out of Y warehouse because it is closer. When models are limited you could have one pulled from a warehouse that your normally wouldn't. Either way though we're charged the same amount of $$ for getting it to our door.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm just happy I delt with management and have everything in writing. Definitely a good feeling. Well folks looks like The Lord has brought is one day closer!!!!!!!

GROM GROM GROM

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess what would be more appropriate for this thread would be to list how much you paid for the bike plus any added dealer markup. Since taxes and registration fees differ from state to state it's hard to compare out the door figures in Washington to states like Oregon, Alaska, or Montana because those states do not collect sales tax.

I'm figuring that my dealership will sell me the bike at MSRP plus destination and not put in any set up fee or additional markup. Sales tax and licensing are completely irrelevant!

ETA: I actually work for a Volkswagen dealership in the state of Washington. I know motorcycles and cars are different but the purchasing of them is almost identical. Destination is a fee that the manufacturer puts on the invoice of the vehicle and it's just an average. That's why destination is going to cost the same in California as it is in New York because they are using averages. For example the Volkswagen Passat is made and manufactured in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The destination on that vehicle is about $800 to the dealerships in Chattanooga, Tennessee and the destination on the VW Passat to dealerships in Washington state is the exact same at about $800. Even on a $30,000 car the difference between invoice and MSRP is only about $1000 in most instances. Honda Powersports Dealers are not going to be making a killing on a bike with a $3000 MSRP. It's just not something that's going to happen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think if everyone simply broke down the fees into each amount (my earlier post in this same thread does just that), then people can see for themselves, just what is associated with dealer fees, taxes, etc. Doing so, allows those that may live in the same state, to see what other fees they very well may find, when they go to the dealership. It also allows those who live in other states, the opportunity to see how their state's taxes and dealer fees compare to those of others.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It would be helpful to include all the numbers in your out the door price. Bike price, taxes, registration, origination fee, set-up fees, unpacking fees, documentation fee, licensing, inspection, transportation and if you financed or paid cash. One of the oldest tricks in a salesman's book is to take away from one area (obviously some fees like title fees are fixed) but add on to another. You will find some people pay less for a bike, but more in transportation. Some will pay no transportation at all, for example.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was just quoted $3475.16 OTD in Memphis. They didn't break down the charges, but it seems reasonable considering tax is about 9%.

·
Registered
659 Posts
One more thing about your prices. Have you signed paperwork? I just stopped in at my Honda Dealer...someone I have bought other bikes from, and although he will take a deposit, that is not the same as buying the bike. In fact, the dealer has not yet priced them. He said they will be getting in 4- 2 red, 2 black. I offered $3500 and offered to put down a deposit toward the bike...meaning he would prepare a bill of sale, take my deposit and charge the additional $3000 on delivery. There is a second way dealers may be handling this, and that is to quote you a price, but if it is not on a bill of sale, they are free to change their mind. In fact, if someone comes in offering more money, they most likely will change their mind. So which do you have- a written contract or a word of mouth price quote? The second one is essentially worthless.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
This thread is kind of interesting but in the end - who cares? I want a Grom. I know how much I am willing to pay for it. If my dealer tries to charge me more for the bike or the taxes or the set up or whatever, if the OTD price is more than I want to pay, I will not buy it. Just that simple. I bet I am willing to pay more and be happy than some other folks on this forum. I know some folks on this forum are willing to pay more for a Grom and be happy with their deal than I am.

I understand that people want to get the best deal they can get but in the end I DGAF what the dealer charges for this and that as long as the OTD price is what I consider to be a fair price for the bike I want.

Just like a Ruckus. I want a Ruckus and have wanted one for a few years but I have not been willing to pay what the dealers want for a new one and I have not been willing to pay what others want for a used one. But there are tens of thousands of people who were willing to pay those prices for a Ruck and I am guessing most of them are happy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
StokeD is good to go. I personally would not want a Grom at any price. Unless I get it for a good price, I won't buy. Doesn't matter if it's a salad or a Mercedes. I would not pay $3700 for a Grom, OTD. I may very well not get one either. Will I be disappointed? Not in the least. There are a ton of good bikes out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How does anyone know the OTD price and we haven't seen the bike yet ?????? Not to pop any bubbles but this thread is STUPID.:disappointed:
Sorry for the negativity ....

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
StokeD is good to go. I personally would not want a Grom at any price. Unless I get it for a good price, I won't buy. Doesn't matter if it's a salad or a Mercedes. I would not pay $3700 for a Grom, OTD. I may very well not get one either. Will I be disappointed? Not in the least. There are a ton of good bikes out there.
Yep, I hear ya, that is exactly my feeling about the Ruck. Just not interested in the Ruck for the price folks want. But I totally dig the Grom. I am guessing there are bikes, and other things out there, that you would be willing to pay $$ for that others would not.

41 - 60 of 756 Posts