Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting my grom into a retro naked bike. :)

I got a Monkey gas tank and need to figure out a way to mount in onto the Grom frame. The two are not anywhere close to compatible so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it. The Grom fuel pump is on the top of the tank while the Monkey pump mounts on the bottom. So it's likely the two pumps are different.

The bike is getting even lighter. The plstics weighed 5 pounds so removing them puts the weight at only 204 pounds. This is 25 pounds lighter than the stock weight of 229 pounds. I weigh 138 so even the stock suspension rides quite stiff with so little weight on it. Plus 8 pounds of gear the total bike and rider weight is just 350 pounds. Total weight reduction for bike and rider is 7%.

This is like the engine having an extra half horsepower. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Excited to see where this goes. Don't stop with the monkey tank, find anything that looks cool and holds at least two gallons then make it fit so I can copy it. Lol 5,270 miles on my 2020 Grom, filling the tank two or three times when we ride is not really a hassle but more range is always a good thing!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting the same gas mileage and speed out of it, because after all it's just removing 5 pounds. However, the bike does feel smaller without all that ugly bulky plastic tacked onto it everywhere. This is similar to the retro cafe racer look I'm going for, except more uncluttered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts