Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - loving the a Monkey after a week, but find it’s a PIA to fish out a hex key and thread it into the hidden seat bolts every time you want to access under the seat. Found a couple of aftermarket solutions, but pretty pricy. Mulled it over and came up with this....basically a two inch bolt grafted onto a thumbscrew type head. Total cost of parts less than 5 bucks for a set from the local Ace Hardware. Pics are self-explanatory, easy to do other than I had to heat up the heads of the bolts and press them into what was a round depression on the inside of the plastic thumbscrew, to make it conform to the bolt head. A little JB weld to finish it off and viola- much easier access, and looks fine to my eye. 5D0F89AF-CB6D-433E-81BE-D1BAE509D6FE.jpeg 31661684-5537-4E4A-913F-6D071DFC096F.jpeg 5A85D87D-804C-4EA9-8E21-ADE587D6D0A1.jpeg B5D714EE-1ABC-40A4-92B1-9FA433023280.jpeg FBFE6AB5-44CC-4D12-852A-A5BF34A0047F.jpeg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sell them for $49 like all the other accessory websites do!

Brainstorming here - How about using eyebolts and they could also be used as a mounting point for some ratchet straps?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sell them for $49 like all the other accessory websites do!

Brainstorming here - How about using eyebolts and they could also be used as a mounting point for some ratchet straps?
Why not!

Puzzling that Honda engineering missed the boat on such a simple detail....usually they design in efficiency at a much higher level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could add double nuts to the bolt shaft at the approximate depth of the stock bolts. Then you wouldn’t be relying on the thumb screw to provide the pinch friction of your new seat bolts.
Nice work!!!
I will be doing this myself, Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could add double nuts to the bolt shaft at the approximate depth of the stock bolts. Then you wouldn’t be relying on the thumb screw to provide the pinch friction of your new seat bolts.
Nice work!!!
I will be doing this myself, Thanks for sharing.
Good refinement! I‘ll do that...I don’t like the thumb screw hitting/turning on the paint on the edge of the frame holes, they are plastic and not likely to chip the paint but still....they could sit 1/16th or so out with your idea and no worries. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you find them vibrating loose from time to time? I have the ones from Mnnthbx and theyre nice, but about once every three weeks (i ride to/from work everyday) or so, i check them and they back out like 1/2 turn or more. Link to product below

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you find them vibrating loose from time to time? I have the ones from Mnnthbx and theyre nice, but about once every three weeks (i ride to/from work everyday) or so, i check them and they back out like 1/2 turn or more. Link to product below
No issues so far- I am able to turn them REALLY tight using the thumbscrew....the ones you have seems like maybe they can’t be tightened to that degree using the key in slot setup? I “upgraded” mine also per Whorider‘s suggestion, used a couple nuts to set the depth and prevent the thumbscrews from bottoming on the frame hole. 1875809B-C4FB-4CD1-8D94-17AA3C964787.jpeg 7E3E9646-7238-4C4A-BCB1-784E436D073C.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts