Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the Grom builders!! You guys have laid the groundwork for my 100mph Monkey project. So far I have gotten 60mph gps verified. Up from 52mph stock. Flat ground, no wind, 225 lb. rider.

Mods so far—Chimera intake, anodizing pipe, kitaco clutch cover, 5 row oil cooler, takegawa oil pump, 16/32 sprockets, Koso clutch with 60% stiffer springs, Ohlins shocks front and rear.

Stage 2 is a 1:1 fourth gear, 6 disc sex machine clutch, a 181cc Kitaco Neo kit with a ported head, and a pair of Michelin SCs. Probably going to use the Aracer mini 5. Then add the autotune and a yoshi pipe.

Stage 3 will be a TURBO!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
haha, I was going to say the fastest a Grom has gotten with the Neo 181 kit is 96 mph at 24hp with Grom fatherz port work, his throttle body and Aracer RC1, but then I saw "Stage 3", lol. There ya go. Keep us posted :encouragement:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Thanks to all the Grom builders!! You guys have laid the groundwork for my 100mph Monkey project. So far I have gotten 60mph gps verified. Up from 52mph stock. Flat ground, no wind, 225 lb. rider.

Mods so far—Chimera intake, anodizing pipe, kitaco clutch cover, 5 row oil cooler, takegawa oil pump, 16/32 sprockets, Koso clutch with 60% stiffer springs, Ohlins shocks front and rear.

Stage 2 is a 1:1 fourth gear, 6 disc sex machine clutch, a 181cc Kitaco Neo kit with a ported head, and a pair of Michelin SCs. Probably going to use the Aracer mini 5. Then add the autotune and a yoshi pipe.

Turbos have been done on the grom engine from 2014 groms to the latest, turbo's equall K-boom, just stay with a good ported 4v using carbs and you will hit 100 or go with F/I and it will hit 100mph

Good Luck and ride safe

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Turbos have been done on the grom engine from 2014 groms to the latest, turbo's equall K-boom, just stay with a good ported 4v using carbs and you will hit 100 or go with F/I and it will hit 100mph

Good Luck and ride safe
Thanks CiscoSanJose, you too! This is my first build after we lost everything in hurricane Irma in 2016. I could have bought some cool supermoto like a ktm or a Honda twin adv bike, but I wouldn’t get the satisfaction of a build or the Monkey nostalgia. The Harley guys are the first to circle it and admire. Plus, it is a BLAST to ride. I’ve ridden supermotos before. I call them urban assault vehicles. The Monkey takes it to a new level because it looks like a toy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skid plate from Kitaco. I had to extend the front brackets about an inch. What do you guys think? Nice but pricey. Very nicely manufactured. Only provides a little protection, but it’s only for light off-road duty. I know people really dirt them, but I’ve got dirt bikes for that. The Pimp Chimp will only see easy trail riding in the Ocala National Forest.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, I decided on the aRacer Rc1, their AFR module AF1 and the imode real time controller. I am also going to need the 1 to 4 cable and the data cable too, right? Has anybody used the imode controller? Or the wireless data connection? I have to bung my pipe too. Yippee.

I am going to get the aftermarket ecu working then go 181cc. Any suggestions? Maybe 181 first? Maybe it does not matter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What App is that you're using @Honda monkey? Also, I've been looking at that skidplate myself. Is there a reason you had to extend the front brackets? Does it not fit correctly on a stock Monkey?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What App is that you're using @Honda monkey? Also, I've been looking at that skidplate myself. Is there a reason you had to extend the front brackets? Does it not fit correctly on a stock Monkey?
The app is navionics. The skid plate works with the stock pipe. I am using aftermarket copy of the Hindle pipe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ah, didn't think about the pipe, I have the yoshi race, so wondering if I'd have to do the same.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, didn't think about the pipe, I have the yoshi race, so wondering if I'd have to do the same.
if you do, it is extremely easy. It’s cool looking, and very unique, but it’s another 200 bucks that really does very little, though. It would probably collapse or rip out if it had to sustain the hits a dirt bike skid plate takes. Bottom line, I would buy it again for the cool look and uniqueness it brings. Also, the craftsmanship is extremely high.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll probably wait for someone to make one stateside that's a bit more robust, but it does look pretty cool!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to a dropped Monkey fender. The Grom fender never fit properly, it needs both sides stabilized. The Monkey fork only have one side for bracketing. I used a Kitaco kit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts