Honda Grom banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow.

Never thought the day would arrive!

Just got back from picking 'er up and giving it a short 15 mile tear around town.

First off... hats off to Berkeley Yamaha. If I could rate this place 11 stars out of 10 I would. Scott and crew couldn't run a better shop. $3580 out the door. He had heard all the insanity of other places charging $750 for setup... and was simply "we've been here a long time... we're going to be here a long time... that's just exploitative". There was another guy picking up the other one later today... who from what it sounded, is just as into it as me (and all of you). You out there? Apparently they are only getting ONE next month.

Initial impressions are it's smaller than expected! I had heard others say it's larger than expected... which seemed odd to me.... so perhaps my expectations were colored a bit. Fit and finish are top rate Honda. Perfect.

Initially sitting on it, I couldn't quite figure out where to sit. I wanted to push back and sit on the rear of the seat, but that seemed wrong... middle was wrong...up front hugging the tank while initially seemed to far forward was JUST RIGHT. The tank has indentations where your legs fit perfectly and allow you to grip the bike. It's definitely a ride as far forward as possible type of setup... much like a dirt bike.

Riding position is very upright. It's a ride on top of the bike style... not "laying" like you would on a sport bike. This is likely a key point, as the handlebars are relatively high. I can't imagine putting lower straighter bars on there as it would feel like you were riding touch your toes. And I'm not a particularly tall guy... 5'9". Aftermarket bars will need to be relatively higher and/or risers added. Even sitting all the way forward, the bike is so short, you can't really see the front tire at all. ha!

Definitely need to do a bit of adjustments to suite initially... bars leaned to far _back_ from the factory, need to roll the controls a bit forward... to be expected to suite the rider for any new bike of course.

Starting it up is immediate. And QUIET. This bike is QUIET in stock form. Real quiet. Peacefully quiet perhaps? Even at speed... it's like... very quiet... barely can hear. Will fix that up shortly with a black Moriwaki exhaust I have on the way. I definitely don't want loud... but I want to hear it a bit... a bit of feedback. The horn on the other hand is LOOOUD.

Clutch engagement from a standstill is very far out. I needed to let the clutch handle out nearly 75% before it starts engaging... I definitely prefer it earlier... at like 20% of it's throw, so will adjust there.

Power. Let's be blunt here. It's not a screamer in stock trim. It definitely needs to be ridden and the engine "wrung" a bit if you're going to be tearing it up... at least in stock form. Will see how it goes as it breaks in and mods are completed. On the other hand, real aggressive shifting and acceleration is a hoot on it.

Handling was excellent. Felt glued to the ground. A bit contrary to many, the tires felt good... smooth... gave good feedback... felt planted... but that's just a very initial perception.

Fun factor is ABSOLUTELY OFF THE CHART!!!!!!! I can't even explain how fun this bike is. I was literally laughing in my helmet. That's exactly what this bike is designed to do... and it does it magically. This bike is truly going to be a classic.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Mode of transport
Bridge Cable-stayed bridge Suspension bridge Vehicle Nonbuilding structure

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Love it. Cant wait to pick mine up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Berkeley Yamaha in in Berkeley not San Francisco, or is it Emeryville, just sayin.. Thanks for the review, I plan on trucking mu Grom out to the Bay area this year around Christmas.:wink:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
wow.

Never thought the day would arrive!

Just got back from picking 'er up and giving it a short 15 mile tear around town.

First off... hats off to Berkeley Yamaha. If I could rate this place 11 stars out of 10 I would. Scott and crew couldn't run a better shop. $3580 out the door. He had heard all the insanity of other places charging $750 for setup... and was simply "we've been here a long time... we're going to be here a long time... that's just exploitative". There was another guy picking up the other one later today... who from what it sounded, is just as into it as me (and all of you). You out there? Apparently they are only getting ONE next month.

Initial impressions are it's smaller than expected! I had heard others say it's larger than expected... which seemed odd to me.... so perhaps my expectations were colored a bit. Fit and finish are top rate Honda. Perfect.

Initially sitting on it, I couldn't quite figure out where to sit. I wanted to push back and sit on the rear of the seat, but that seemed wrong... middle was wrong...up front hugging the tank while initially seemed to far forward was JUST RIGHT. The tank has indentations where your legs fit perfectly and allow you to grip the bike. It's definitely a ride as far forward as possible type of setup... much like a dirt bike.

Riding position is very upright. It's a ride on top of the bike style... not "laying" like you would on a sport bike. This is likely a key point, as the handlebars are relatively high. I can't imagine putting lower straighter bars on there as it would feel like you were riding touch your toes. And I'm not a particularly tall guy... 5'9". Aftermarket bars will need to be relatively higher and/or risers added. Even sitting all the way forward, the bike is so short, you can't really see the front tire at all. ha!

Definitely need to do a bit of adjustments to suite initially... bars leaned to far _back_ from the factory, need to roll the controls a bit forward... to be expected to suite the rider for any new bike of course.

Starting it up is immediate. And QUIET. This bike is QUIET in stock form. Real quiet. Peacefully quiet perhaps? Even at speed... it's like... very quiet... barely can hear. Will fix that up shortly with a black Moriwaki exhaust I have on the way. I definitely don't want loud... but I want to hear it a bit... a bit of feedback. The horn on the other hand is LOOOUD.

Clutch engagement from a standstill is very far out. I needed to let the clutch handle out nearly 75% before it starts engaging... I definitely prefer it earlier... at like 20% of it's throw, so will adjust there.

Power. Let's be blunt here. It's not a screamer in stock trim. It definitely needs to be ridden and the engine "wrung" a bit if you're going to be tearing it up... at least in stock form. Will see how it goes as it breaks in and mods are completed. On the other hand, real aggressive shifting and acceleration is a hoot on it.

Handling was excellent. Felt glued to the ground. A bit contrary to many, the tires felt good... smooth... gave good feedback... felt planted... but that's just a very initial perception.

Fun factor is ABSOLUTELY OFF THE CHART!!!!!!! I can't even explain how fun this bike is. I was literally laughing in my helmet. That's exactly what this bike is designed to do... and it does it magically. This bike is truly going to be a classic.

View attachment 1722
View attachment 1723
View attachment 1724
how do u adjust the friction zone? or should i just give it time adn i will sooner or later get accustomed to it?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
fletcher,

are you like a writer of some type or like an english teacher? like others said best first impression write up so far!

with trial and error, i found the same about ride postion. if i sat too far back, i was able to get my foot at the correct angle for shifting! i have to be hugging the tank for my foot to feel correct.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fletcher's pic is at the base of Golden Gate Bridge in SF so maybe he rode it across the Bay Bridge from Berkeley? Too bad I didn't pick up on your deal. I got close to that price-wise. Not even sure if I called the dealer in Berkeley, because maybe I just didn't know that I could get across the bridge on it legally... Glad you like it and thank you for the great write up. Maybe I'll see you around SF. I'm hoping to get my bike this weekend.

·
Registered
111 Posts
He would have to know know the difference between suit and suite before he could become an English teacher! :D

Just foolin around, good write up. But really. The ride suits him, while he would have his office in a suite. ;) LOL

fletcher,

are you like a writer of some type or like an english teacher? like others said best first impression write up so far!

with trial and error, i found the same about ride postion. if i sat too far back, i was able to get my foot at the correct angle for shifting! i have to be hugging the tank for my foot to feel correct.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Reminds me of the Ferrari 360 I've seen multiple times driving home on the Richmond / San Rafael bridge with vanity license plate: FNSUITE

69z50, maybe you can translate that one for us?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts