Honda Grom banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
In for pics of everything when you tear it down, would also like to know if the GF vented cover reduces your temps. Come to think of it, blow by could be causing your temps to rise by super heating your oil, could just be a ring issue...... how many miles on yours?
I'll definitely post pics when I tear it down. You and I are thinking along the same lines as far as blow by. I'm just under 1500 miles. The intake went on around 500 miles.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ouch, I have 8300 miles. About 7300 with intake, exhaust, cam, ecu. I have never ridden it two up though, my wife is scared to death of them. Might have just gotten unlucky, factory defect. The blow by would cause oil to blow into the intake as well, effect, not cause.

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
247 Posts
Blow by. Maybe. I guess.

The oil mist idea I’m not so sure about. Why would there be oil mist to begin with? You don’t have any crazy mods, correct? My intake showed zero signs of any oil inside. Would the shortened vent hose cause that?

The puff of smoke is concerning.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Blow by pressurizes the crank case and causes the excessive oil/air mist to get recirculated back into the intake.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Go Grom quoted me 20-25 dollars shipping with UPS for the gold OG wheels, if true that will be about 350 all in. They told me to check back in about a month.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Blow by pressurizes the crank case and causes the excessive oil/air mist to get recirculated back into the intake.
So maybe I’ve been wrong, for years, in my understanding of how bad rings cause blue smoke coming out the exhaust pipe.

I guess I always thought that if the rings are bad, oil goes from the crankcase, past the rings into the combustion chamber, where it burns off, appearing as blue smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.

So you are saying that some of the pressurized air/fuel mixture slips past the rings into the crankcase causing an over pressure situation, forcing oil mist into the intake, then the oil is burnt off in the combustion chamber, leading to blue smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe?

I remember overheating a Honda ATC 70 three wheeler once as little kids. It was a hot summer day, we were riding 2up, there was a loss of power, we shut it down and let it cool off. It seemed ok after that. We probably shortened it’s life.

Are those gold Enkei wheels still being produced or do you think these are a limited amount of leftovers produced years ago?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I honestly think we are both right, depends on which stroke you are on, compression and power stroke leak into the crankcase. Intake and exhaust it probably does not wipe all the oil off the cylinder walls and the excess crankcase pressure generated from the previous stroke helps force the oil past the rings. Smoke just on startup is usually attributed to worn valve stem seals, which allow oil to slowly seep by while the engine is off. I do not know about the wheels, they told me they were on order which sounds like they are still being produced but there may be a limited number in a warehouse somewhere.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, I got a used 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup when I was 16 years old. I drove it for 15 years. It had the legendary 22R-E engine. Oil would leak past the valve stem seals overnight. Upon cranking it up the next morning, you would see a pretty big puff of smoke. The Subaru I have does the same thing.

I’ll be real interested to hear what Phoenix finds when he tears into his motor. That’s a bummer.

Phoenix, I bet you will end up with a clutch cover and oil cooler in the end, since you live where it gets so hot.

Those other gold wheels look like a much richer shade of gold than the OG Enkeis. I might have to join the gold club too!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
My theory (and it’s completely theory at this point) is by shortening the crank case breather hose I eliminated the bends and shortened the length of the path of travel. I think this allowed more of the oil mist to get vacuumed into my intake and sent through to my combustion chamber. The excess oil in the combustion chamber most likely lead to glazing of the cylinder walls which caused blow by to happen since the rings are no longer sealing properly. I’ll most likely tear into the top end and see what awaits this weekend.

I think @BrawndoGrom is right, I’m most likely going to have to bite the bullet and get the cover with the oil cooler. Once I get the crank case venting sorted they will be next on my list. Especially since the HC piston is going to bring additional heat and I live in an extreme heat environment 4 months out of the year.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The good news: The thread derail hi-jack trio is not losing its touch...lol.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts