Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know BST carbon wheels are the greatest, but are there any other performance wheels on the market. I really want a set of OG gold Enkei's on my white SF Grom, but if there is something better for slightly more money I wanna know about it. (Anyone got any gold Enkei's they wanna sell?)

·
Registered
247 Posts
These look sweet. They are available in gold. Not cheap though. Currently out of stock. I think some of the colors were in stock recently though.

I agree, your white Grom would look great with gold wheels and maybe a gold grille too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are nice, but at that price point I would just go carbon. Probably should anyway but I worry about long term durability. I put a lot of miles on my grom.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I think @dubSolo posted some forged wheels that were around $700ish a few months back. I was giving them a hard look until I started chasing my quest for two squirrel horse power vs one field mouse horse power haha. Now that I’m cooking said rodents with my over heating issue it’s going to be awhile before I look at different wheels while I figure out how to cool this pig.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would love to have carbon wheels, but I don’t like the 3-spoke look. It just doesn’t do it for me.

I don’t worry about the durability of carbon wheels. I’ve owned a ridiculous amount of carbon fiber bicycle parts. Tons of high stress parts. They are way more strong than most people think, but you can’t abuse them in many cases.

Gold wheels look great on Honda motorcycles. The Africa Twin, in Red, White, & Blue colors looks fantastic with it’s gold wheels.

I think my Pearl Red SF would look amazing with those Over Racing gold wheels. I wish they were about half the price. They will be substantially more affordable, anytime the US Dollar strengthens against the Japanese Yen.

I thought Tyga used to have the OEM gold wheels. Aren’t the Enkei wheels lighter too?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I would love to have carbon wheels, but I don’t like the 3-spoke look. It just doesn’t do it for me.

I don’t worry about the durability of carbon wheels. I’ve owned a ridiculous amount of carbon fiber bicycle parts. Tons of high stress parts. They are way more strong than most people think, but you can’t abuse them in many cases.

Gold wheels look great on Honda motorcycles. The Africa Twin, in Red, White, & Blue colors looks fantastic with it’s gold wheels.

I think my Pearl Red SF would look amazing with those Over Racing gold wheels. I wish they were about half the price. They will be substantially more affordable, anytime the US Dollar strengthens against the Japanese Yen.

I thought Tyga used to have the OEM gold wheels. Aren’t the Enkei wheels lighter too?
Yeah the Enkei are lighter by 2lbs if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyga has them, about 500 shipped. 380 plus s&h. Gogrom has them ordered, not in stock but they are 320 there. Not sure what their shipping weight is though. I have Enkei's on the Subaru, good chance I'll end up with them on the Grom. Just wondering what else is out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tyga has them, about 500 shipped. 380 plus s&h. Gogrom has them ordered, not in stock but they are 320 there. Not sure what their shipping weight is though. I have Enkei's on the Subaru, good chance I'll end up with them on the Grom. Just wondering what else is out there.
Link?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think @dubSolo posted some forged wheels that were around $700ish a few months back.
Yes... these are on my list currently lol

·
Registered
734 Posts
RCB Racing Boy seems to have forged wheels, no idea how good these are or if it's really forged and lightweight...
I've seen these in gray un the past.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anyone comment on the quality of the RCB or MOS wheels? Is anyone actually using them?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think @dubSolo posted some forged wheels that were around $700ish a few months back. I was giving them a hard look until I started chasing my quest for two squirrel horse power vs one field mouse horse power haha. Now that I’m cooking said rodents with my over heating issue it’s going to be awhile before I look at different wheels while I figure out how to cool this pig.
Are your heat issues related to a Hi-Comp piston? How hot is it getting? Any noticeable symptoms or just a high gauge?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Can anyone comment on the quality of the RCB or MOS wheels? Is anyone actually using them?
John Wigger on FB rocks the MOS wheels,,, He has one of the baddest groms around Imo...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: Phoenix

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Are your heat issues related to a Hi-Comp piston? How hot is it getting? Any noticeable symptoms or just a high gauge?
No its not HC piston related. I havent installed it yet until I get this heat situation figured out. I'm pretty sure its a crank case venting issue. I ordered the grom fatherz cam cover and more tubing to lengthen my stock crank case hose. DubSolo hooked me up with a few parts I'll be installing as well.

When I installed my intake I stupidly cut down the crank case hose that goes to the air box and connected it to my intake. I'm 100% sure I have been sucking in a ton of oil mist into the combustion chamber and have been doing so for almost 1000 miles. I'm scared to see what the intake runner and cylinder wall look like at this point.

Highest temp I've seen is 256. Switched to a colder plug which lowered the temps approx 10 degrees. Hoping relieving the crank case pressure will help lower temps more. If not I'm going to have to get the clutch cover and oil cooler. With the colder plug I can stay in the 230's for a good while but the temps slowly climb into the 240's after sustained speeds over 55mph.

The good news is once I get this figured out and install the HC piston I should see a pretty big improvement since my stock cylinder and rings are most likely damaged. I'm getting smoking at idle, while blipping the throttle and on initial take off but nothing after that so I dont think the rings are completely toast.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep me posted, i also cut my line to match up with my DB intake. I haven't noticed any issues but I don't have a gauge either.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Keep me posted, i also cut my line to match up with my DB intake. I haven't noticed any issues but I don't have a gauge either.
Yeah watch your exhaust once you've warmed up the bike and run it for a short stretch. I never noticed it until my GF pointed it out. You might be ok because you weigh less than I do so your grom isnt working as hard to haul you around.

I think back to if there was ever a moment that stands out as a "something is definitely off" and there was. I was riding with my GF coming back from my office on a weekend. The ambient temps were in the mid 90's. On the way back I felt the engine heat soak bad. Like a 25% reduction in power bad. I never thought the bike could've been dangerously over heating. I had a flashed ECU so figured there wasn't any concern with over heating or anything. An install and forget it type situation. I just figured air cooled bikes don't do well in hot temps. I now figure I was not only most likely running really hot but I was probably sucking in a shit ton of oil vapor.

I wont know anything until I tear the top end down and inspect it. I just want to get the temps under control first so I can install the HC piston while its tore down. Granted I might end up being in the same boat once I install that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In for pics of everything when you tear it down, would also like to know if the GF vented cover reduces your temps. Come to think of it, blow by could be causing your temps to rise by super heating your oil, could just be a ring issue...... how many miles on yours?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts