Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my 22 Monkey but wish it had the ability to hold 55 on hills. It’s fast enough at 60 but wind from a passing car slows it down. I know an intake and exhaust with an ecu tune can get it there but I don’t want the noise that comes with those mods. What I’d like to hear about is are there other ways to get there. I’m just wondering out loud. Cam and injector maybe? Can the stock intake and exhaust give more? I replaced the tires and sprockets and am running Grom specs. I also had the ecu tuned to maximize a stock setup but it sadly isn’t enough. I don’t want a rocket just a little more staying power at 55. Any ideas are welcome

·
Registered
280 Posts
My friend and I both have stock 2020 Monkeys. His bike is slower at top speed, but he weighs over 100 pounds more than I. Not my business where you're at in the fit and trim department, but it's something to consider.

I agree, they're slow and 12" wheels doesn't help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree but my stock 22 Grom with an ecu tune does a great job holding 55 where the Monkey can’t. A cam or larger injector may or may not work. I don’t know how to improve it and not mess with the intake or exhaust. Top speed isn’t an issue for me just the ability to hold 55 better for the Monkey

·
Registered
98 Posts
Agree but my stock 22 Grom with an ecu tune does a great job holding 55 where the Monkey can’t. A cam or larger injector may or may not work. I don’t know how to improve it and not mess with the intake or exhaust. Top speed isn’t an issue for me just the ability to hold 55 better for the Monkey
Before I started modding my Monkey, I was also looking for ways to increase power on my 2022 Monkey without much increase in noise.
I consulted with CJR and DHM and they both said intake, exhaust, and ecu are the first steps.
I did exhaust and tune first but the power increase did not justify the cost, $800.
After going full stage 2 with intake and cam, the bike pulls noticeably harder. Even at upper RPM ranges above 7000 rpm, it keeps pulling even on uphills.
Because it is louder, I do ride it rather gently around people and houses. But when I am out on the street, I don't really care if I am loud. It is safer to be heard anyway since we ride such small bikes.
In 55 mph zones, I feel very comfortable because the bike has reserve power all the way up to 63 - 64 mph. If the straight flat road continues, I can reach the top at 67 mph.

I rode my 2022 stock Grom today and it did feel more zippy than my modded Monkey in the lower rev range. Maybe it is partly because I cannot hear it, I rev it harder and carelessly, and the bike just takes off.
I wring out my Grom anywhere I please and no one will hear it. 😂

Such fun bikes!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like my 22 Monkey but wish it had the ability to hold 55 on hills. It’s fast enough at 60 but wind from a passing car slows it down. I know an intake and exhaust with an ecu tune can get it there but I don’t want the noise that comes with those mods. What I’d like to hear about is are there other ways to get there. I’m just wondering out loud. Cam and injector maybe? Can the stock intake and exhaust give more? I replaced the tires and sprockets and am running Grom specs. I also had the ecu tuned to maximize a stock setup but it sadly isn’t enough. I don’t want a rocket just a little more staying power at 55. Any ideas are welcome
I wonder if this setup would give you exactly what you want while minimizing noise that bystanders are subjected to.

Aftermarket intake with the stock exhaust, DHM flash tune & cam.

???

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol I’m sure that intake will take the fun out of zipping around. Yup the bikes are fun. If what I’m looking for isn’t possible I’ll get over it. I just wondered about possibilities without intake or exhaust. I don’t see anyone here or on YouTube doing it so I had to ask

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lol I’m sure that intake will take the fun out of zipping around. Yup the bikes are fun. If what I’m looking for isn’t possible I’ll get over it. I just wondered about possibilities without intake or exhaust. I don’t see anyone here or on YouTube doing it so I had to ask
Any big bore kits ? Swap out engine for a larger one? Not me. I'm happy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe a small wind screen like the Dart will help reduce drag enough at top speed to help.
It added 5 mph to the top speed of a number of smaller bikes for me.

If you do not like loud, the Takegawa stock looking exhaust is not real loud and if you put a copper pipe 45 degree fitting on the end it is even quieter then stock I think, but still flows well.
Just the exhaust likely will not boost power any...

·
Registered
2022 Honda Monkey
3 Posts
I did the Takagawa stock look exhaust and the DHM tune on the 22 monkey, I rode it for about 15 miles before I noticed any power gains. It will hold 55 just fine in most conditions and hit 65 a couple of times. I installed the Chimera intake and started the bike. It was way louder than just adding the exhaust so I put the big stock air box on for now. I will probably do the DHM S1 cam, intake and tune over the winter later this year when the weather is lame. I already have all the parts but the tune.

Also the small windscreen $99 from ebay did a nice trick for breaking up the wind a little.

Takagawa exhaust

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I didn’t consider a wind screen. If I do a full tuck I gain a few mph So I see where this could help. My favorite ride is 75 miles around Lake Murray. There are only 2 places where I need to go 55 and it probably totals 5 or 6 miles. The rest is below 50 and that’s never an issue for the bike. I had a Takegawa SP exhaust on my 20 Monkey and sold it here a year or so back. It wasn’t a bad exhaust I just didn’t think it added any performance to the bike. I have the DHM ecu tune on it now and could go back to the Takegawa because I agree it’s still quiet. I’ve been watching it on WeBikes and waiting for a sale. I’m going out tonight to see if I can notice the ecu tune. I’ve only been on 1 ride with it and didn’t notice much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back from that ride. I noticed when the sun was up and still warm I was doing 55 and on one large dip in the road 64 but as soon as the sun went down it was back to 53 max. The motor temp was 97c when the sun was out but cooled down to 85c after dark. For anyone running the Takegawa SP do I remember correctly that it loses some torque off the line with that exhaust?

·
Registered
78 Posts
55 mph is what my 2021 will do on level ground no wind.
I had it up to 69 mph yesterday with a bit of a tail wind.
I have the Takegawa stock looking exhaust and my Monkey seems to have a boat load of torque at very low rpm.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I emailed DHM earlier and asked about that exhaust and the S1 cam. I am running a KOSO air filter and there isn’t any extra noise from that. I don’t think I can run a windscreen because I have the Takegawa SP tach and it looks like it would be in the way

·
Registered
98 Posts
My stock 2022 Grom takes off faster than my 2022 Monkey.

If you are looking for higher top speed and cruisability at 50-60mph, you will love full stage 2.

But zipping around in stealth mode is top priority, stock bike is the way.
Ideally, medium noise level and higher speed would suit my need but there is no such thing as far as i know. I love 200 pound mini Moto and the looks of grom and monkey.

Maybe I will get a adv bike like Himalayan in the future, but i really want to do long distance travels on my Monkey first and see.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks SJ. I like the stealth mode too much to stray too far from stock. A cam would be nice but only if it can work with stock ex and intake. I may end up being the Guinea pig as no one has chimed in that has tried it

·
Registered
78 Posts
What is the cam supposed to do, increase high rpm power, or low rpm power?
Without mods to allow the motor to move more mixture in and out, its hard to see getting an increase in high rpm power with stock bits.

Long distance travel on a Monkey???
On back roads but the Monkey is challenged even on some of them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sure, but what is the cam supposed to do?
It might give another hp, at some point in the rpm range.
Timing, lift and duration, you can grind a cam to boost low, mid or high rpm power, mostly at the expense of another rpm point.
Seems you would want a cam to boost the high rpm power at 7000 rpm, which a cam might do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sure, but what is the cam supposed to do?
It might give another hp, at some point in the rpm range.
Timing, lift and duration, you can grind a cam to boost low, mid or high rpm power, mostly at the expense of another rpm point.
Seems you would want a cam to boost the high rpm power at 7000 rpm, which a cam might do.
Yep.
DHM S1 CAM increases upper range power significantly. But it has slightly less power in the lower rpm range.

Monkey comes alive after stage 2 mod.
Traveling in 55mph zone is a breeze. I don't feel like I will get run over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts