Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so wanted to ask before i buy a power commander v if i decide to do the intake mod and exhaust will i be able just to run PCX150 and finbro ecu and it won't run to lean ? as i have to save up a wee bit before i can drop over $600 on the power commander v and wide band 2.

·
Administrator
939 Posts
For intake (mod) and exhaust, I would say that an EFIE device will suffice until you can pony up the case for the PCV. It gets wired in between the stock O2 sensor and harness, and functions to offset the voltage being sent form the O2 sensor to the ECU in order to "trick" the bike into thinking it needs more fuel, thereby helping to resolve the lean condition.

Here's a thread that goes over the EFIE and its usage on the grom: http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/13-...ensor-grom-piggyback-tuners-9.html#post123129

I also have an EFIE for sale, as I recently upgraded to a Dobeck EJK EFI controller: http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/25-...-efie-electronic-fuel-injection-enhancer.html

Reactions: brandoo

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are just going intake and exhaust get the finbro and you're set. Can even add a cam and it's good. You get legitimate fuel mapping, although not adjustable, and a raised rev limiter. You don't get that from the efie. Efie is so basic, it is not a tuner or ecu, it's almost a gimmick. That's why these guys are all selling thier used efie's. The finbro will give you high 12's to low 13's for AFR. You don't need a PCV for that either. People are also selling off the PCV's as fast as possible.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Don't run the PCX150 injector if you have a 2017+ Grom SF with 125cc, stock valves, and a Finbro ECU. Your idle and low end will run extremely rich (my AFR gauge was bottomed out @ 10.0) and the Finbro ECU will never tune it out.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If you are just going intake and exhaust get the finbro and you're set. Can even add a cam and it's good. You get legitimate fuel mapping, although not adjustable, and a raised rev limiter. You don't get that from the efie. Efie is so basic, it is not a tuner or ecu, it's almost a gimmick. That's why these guys are all selling thier used efie's. The finbro will give you high 12's to low 13's for AFR. You don't need a PCV for that either. People are also selling off the PCV's as fast as possible.

EFIE has been shown to richen things up all across the board (the huge thread about it has someone who did wide band readings with it)

OP i vote EFIE as well, its perfect for your mods (intake and exhaust) and id say it would even be just fine with a cam and id even go as far to say it would be great paired with a bigger injector and a mild BBK. The stock ECU is actually very powerful at tuning with its o2 sensor, the EFIE just richens things up across the board.

I have actually been rather tempted to go back to my stock ECU + EFIE + a PCX150 injector with my 164cc bbk / cam / exhaust /bigger valve head etc. It would net me back air intake temp sensor use, automatic cold start solenoid etc that the finbro doesnt do.

But my setup is running so good right now with the finbro ecu and 6 hole finbro injector it would be fixing what aint broken.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My buddy ran an EFIE. In terms of performance gain, there was none. We also didn't have an AFR gauge to see where the bike was at. I don't doubt one bit that it works, but don't expect to pick up any speed with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't run the PCX150 injector if you have a 2017+ Grom SF with 125cc, stock valves, and a Finbro ECU. Your idle and low end will run extremely rich (my AFR gauge was bottomed out @ 10.0) and the Finbro ECU will never tune it out.
why didnt you say this two days earlier lol... just did that. just waiting for snow to melt

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
why didnt you say this two days earlier lol... just did that. just waiting for snow to melt

Try it out... im curious as to why the finbro ecu / pcx injector combo that worked on the OG grom is any different on the SF grom, it uses essentially the same o2 sensor which is the only thing that will adjust the maps, everything else is the same.

Now i know there has been discussion of the "white top" vs "black top" PCX150 injectors and their possible difference so i wonder if that stems from there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
EFIE has been shown to richen things up all across the board (the huge thread about it has someone who did wide band readings with it)

OP i vote EFIE as well, its perfect for your mods (intake and exhaust) and id say it would even be just fine with a cam and id even go as far to say it would be great paired with a bigger injector and a mild BBK. The stock ECU is actually very powerful at tuning with its o2 sensor, the EFIE just richens things up across the board.

I have actually been rather tempted to go back to my stock ECU + EFIE + a PCX150 injector with my 164cc bbk / cam / exhaust /bigger valve head etc. It would net me back air intake temp sensor use, automatic cold start solenoid etc that the finbro doesnt do.

But my setup is running so good right now with the finbro ecu and 6 hole finbro injector it would be fixing what aint broken.

Yes I know it does richen up the mix. I've used it, it's a poor way to go about tuning the bike at the end of day. When I switched from the efie to the finbro there was quite a difference in performance. I was able to test it daily vs. other groms with the exact same mods and same rider size. Efie, 2bro exhaust, radiator mod there was no advantage. Yeah I know it's so low powered to see it was basically impossible. Switched to the finbro and pcx injector and I was easily out running the other bike every round. The increased rev limiter was sure a major player in this but not everything.

When I built the "hot" 125cc and used the Finbro I felt that it was not keeping up. I was right. Just the aracer alone was more than impressive. I went from mid 70's on a good day to mid 70's every day and uphill. I've cracked mid 80's now on a good day. I don't even know how to work the dang thing. This setup only shares the pcx injector from above, i'm in the low 70's for injector rate at Wot. I'm sure if I understood how it works better this could go down.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey guys so wanted to ask before i buy a power commander v if i decide to do the intake mod and exhaust will i be able just to run PCX150 and finbro ecu and it won't run to lean ? as i have to save up a wee bit before i can drop over $600 on the power commander v and wide band 2.
I'd just run the stock ECU with the intake and exhaust mods, it will adjust enough to not run lean, you won't hurt anything. I tried it monitoring AFRs and it's alright.
If you add a cam you will need a tuner as the stock ECU will not be able to keep up.
Save your money until you can buy a quality tuner.

When I built the "hot" 125cc and used the Finbro I felt that it was not keeping up. I was right. Just the aracer alone was more than impressive. I went from mid 70's on a good day to mid 70's every day and uphill. I've cracked mid 80's now on a good day.
Mid 80s? As in 85mph GPS on a 125, turn around and hit 85mph again going the other way? Or 85mph on the speedo drafting downhill with 14/36 gearing?

·
Registered
870 Posts
80 on a stock motor is BS............Mine is now Maxing out and the Valves and head is the Limiting factor. At 70+ they sound like they are going to shoot out of the head sooooo I call BS..............

·
Registered
726 Posts
I assume much of the power you get from the Finbro ECU is ignition advance - I'm saw much higher oil temperatures (and top speed) with the Finbro than I do with the aRacer ECU running stock ignition timing. I'm slowing adding ignition advance and getting some top speed back while keeping an eye on the temps.

This is kinda futile tho cuz I'm about to drop in a sick bore kit. Cheehooo!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Try it out... im curious as to why the finbro ecu / pcx injector combo that worked on the OG grom is any different on the SF grom, it uses essentially the same o2 sensor which is the only thing that will adjust the maps, everything else is the same.

Now i know there has been discussion of the "white top" vs "black top" PCX150 injectors and their possible difference so i wonder if that stems from there.
I got buddies with 125cc OG Groms running Finbro ECU w/ PCX150 injector no problem. Me and another buddy both have 125cc SF groms that ran extremely rich with the Finbro and black top PCX150 injector. MNNTHBX, in a different thread, said the PCX150 injector is not needed for 125cc SF Groms.

·
Registered
99 Posts
80 on a stock motor is BS............Mine is now Maxing out and the Valves and head is the Limiting factor. At 70+ they sound like they are going to shoot out of the head sooooo I call BS..............
Reading comprehension would help man. Nowhere did I say a stock motor. I said a "hot" 125. This isn't uncommon anymore or special.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!
I just bought a 2017SF, trying to get top speed for 200lb dude. I have the Chimera Intake, FINBRO ECM, PCX 150 injector. I am idled super high, I have adjusted idle and throttle plate screws, tried unplugging the solenoid. Still idles high and slow to drop RPM after rev. I found some conflicting information about the wires to move around in the harness. My questions is, knowing what you know now, should I just flash my stock ECU and put the injector back in. Or cut up and move more wires on the harness to try the other set of instructions I found. I also hear there is a coldstart problem with FINBRO. What would you guys do if you where me? I really dont want to eat the cost of ECU and injector, but I want as much top speed as I can get to try and keep up with my wife on her 2018 (she weighs less than me and has intake, exhaust and power commander and her bike zips)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey!
I just bought a 2017SF, trying to get top speed for 200lb dude. I have the Chimera Intake, FINBRO ECM, PCX 150 injector. I am idled super high, I have adjusted idle and throttle plate screws, tried unplugging the solenoid. Still idles high and slow to drop RPM after rev. I found some conflicting information about the wires to move around in the harness. My questions is, knowing what you know now, should I just flash my stock ECU and put the injector back in. Or cut up and move more wires on the harness to try the other set of instructions I found. I also hear there is a coldstart problem with FINBRO. What would you guys do if you where me? I really dont want to eat the cost of ECU and injector, but I want as much top speed as I can get to try and keep up with my wife on her 2018 (she weighs less than me and has intake, exhaust and power commander and her bike zips)
So stupid question, if her bike rips; Why wouldnt you just replicate her setup?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts