Honda Grom banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Congrats on you passing now buy some good riding gear, helmet, action camera and ride safe.

It is almost as neat as me since I passed my Ham radio technician's license this pass weekend Sept 28 and have to wait for my FCC license to arrive or be posted on their website before I can go legal. I had to pass a 35 question test by getting 26 correct to get the technician's license, I missed 5 out of 35 questions.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here is my advice for people like you.

There are two ways you can get hurt on a motorcycle. Either you will do it to yourself or someone else will.

You need to learn how to brake, shift, how fast to go around corners and things like that. How to operate a motorcycle in other words. So YOU dont hurt YOU.

The other separate thing you need to learn is how to read and ride in traffic. So THEY dont hurt YOU.

When starting out dont mix the two together! Ride on deserted back roads or empty neighborhood streets when ever you can.

Good luck and ride safe!

Reactions: Marmotos

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
We'll I did finally pass my motorcycle test the instructor was surprised at my control. In the emergency stop I did a front wheelie.
Good job and congratulations. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Congrats on you passing now buy some good riding gear, helmet, action camera and ride safe.

It is almost as neat as me since I passed my Ham radio technician's license this pass weekend Sept 28 and have to wait for my FCC license to arrive or be posted on their website before I can go legal. I had to pass a 35 question test by getting 26 correct to get the technician's license, I missed 5 out of 35 questions.
Congratulations. Got my ticket about two years ago. If you haven't already done so, when you go to buy a radio, don't let them talk you into some super wazoo multi-band whizz bang unit. Just get a simple 2 meter radio. Multi-bands and more functions just lead to complexity and a PITA to program and use.

My two cents.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

There are two ways you can get hurt on a motorcycle. Either you will do it to yourself or someone else will.

You need to learn how to brake, shift, how fast to go around corners and things like that. How to operate a motorcycle in other words. So YOU dont hurt YOU.

The other separate thing you need to learn is how to read and ride in traffic. So THEY dont hurt YOU.

When starting out dont mix the two together! Ride on deserted back roads or empty neighborhood streets when ever you can.

Good luck and ride safe!

^^ this.. go practice hard braking.. turns.. using the Grom just like u had to do during test.. get used to it.. esp if you never rode with traffic before.. and above all.. wipe that smile off your face if you can.. (u cant) haha

·
Registered
149 Posts
^^ this.. go practice hard braking.. turns.. using the Grom just like u had to do during test.. get used to it.. esp if you never rode with traffic before.. and above all.. wipe that smile off your face if you can.. (u cant) haha
I took my msf course on a Honda rebel then went out and bought a ninja!

·
Registered
59 Posts

Good luck and ride safe!
And just to add to this, my instructor told me to treat every other road user as if they are an idiot. Be prepared for them to do something real stupid at anytime. Sounded a bit harsh at the time but I can now see her logic. Too many people drive like twats ;o)

edit: and grats GromGrom

·
Registered
246 Posts
how fast to go around corners and things like that.
More specifically: how fast to enter corners. The vast majority of motorcycle only injuries and fatalities happen in turns. The single largest factor is a poorly chosen entry speed. You optioned are severely limited in terms of maneuvering and time is limited as far as what maneuver you need to perform if you bring in too much speed.

Without getting too long winded you ability to process information is your biggest survival skill if you place yourself into a position where the information is coming faster than you can effectively make sound decisions and maneuvers, you're done.

Think of it like this: Most lanes are around 11 feet wide. At 40mph you're traveling at ~60 feet per second; therefore, you only have .183 seconds worth of lane in a 40 mph turn. The average human exercising choice reaction time needs about .45 seconds to do something effectively................Just sayin'.................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts