Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys but I think I'm going to be pretty paranoid about leaving my Grom parked outside of places due to the fact it's so light and small, someone could easily throw it in the back of a vehicle. I'm pretty sure I won't leave it unattended or out of sight too long. Anybody else feel this way? Any security tips from Ruck guys? I have never owned a street legal bike this small. Hopefully thieves won't be too interested.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Where I live it's not really an issue. My ruck is pretty stock except for cosmetic changes and I just park it up front wherever I go and there is always someone looking at it and that is my theft deterrent. I used to hang out in riverside/corona area and would think you should be ok. The larger the population the larger the potential for theft though. A lock and visibility will help.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Here's my advice, expect it to be stolen everywhere you go, If someone wants it they're going to take it.. Low jack is good but even then its not fail proof

Personally where I live I have no worries.. I once left my ruck sitting outside of my garage with the key in the ignition for two days straight :shrug: everywhere is diff though and your only defense is ways of finding out who stole it once its gone

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I live it's not really an issue. My ruck is pretty stock except for cosmetic changes and I just park it up front wherever I go and there is always someone looking at it and that is my theft deterrent. I used to hang out in riverside/corona area and would think you should be ok. The larger the population the larger the potential for theft though. A lock and visibility will help.
Yeah I'm mostly going to use it for commuting or to run a quick errand/joyriding. I guess it all depends how popular they get too. A lot of the guys I work with have had their sport bikes stolen around here, that's what raises my paranoia.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my advice, expect it to be stolen everywhere you go, If someone wants it they're going to take it.. Low jack is good but even then its not fail proof

Personally where I live I have no worries.. I once left my ruck sitting outside of my garage with the key in the ignition for two days straight :shrug: everywhere is diff though and your only defense is ways of finding out who stole it once its gone
Yeah I used to live in central Florida too in Centerhill, it seemed like a good area. Did you just forget the key was in it? Or is it really that safe where you live?

You're right if someone wants to steal your bike bad enough they're going to find a way. I'm definitely going to have full coverage insurance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Insure it well, and live a care-free life...

As an option though, one of those nifty motion-sensing brake locks can at LEAST maybe scare the piss out of them and cause them to run, and wake you up, or let you hear it when you're in a store or whatever... But for real, insure it for the value of the bike, as well as the value of whatever you do it it if your insurance will allow... then if it DOES get stolen, sure its a bit of a hassle, but you're not completely without recourse.

As for me, it'll be insured as mentioned, however the area i live in is one where you could park it, leave it running, and go walk around downtown, and it'd likely be there when you get back (although by then someone may have decided to shut it off for you, and left a note telling you they shut it off)... lol! Although that is still not something i plan to attempt.... YMMV

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Yeah I used to live in central Florida too in Centerhill, it seemed like a good area. Did you just forget the key was in it? Or is it really that safe where you live?

You're right if someone wants to steal your bike bad enough they're going to find a way. I'm definitely going to have full coverage insurance.
It was accidental, I'd get home from work and forget to put it in the garage

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Not too many bikes or cars stolen in my neighborhood (that I am aware of) but just the same, my Grom will be ridden from point A (my garage) to point A (my garage). If they want to take it they will have to knock me off of it first.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The chain lock isn't a bad idea. However, with an additional 18 pounds of lock traveling to wherever I'm headed I don't like that idea.

Insurance is available for this reason, insure it and hope there are kind people wherever you ride. Park where its visible to everyone and under cameras if possible, they're everywhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The chain lock isn't a bad idea. However, with an additional 18 pounds of lock traveling to wherever I'm headed I don't like that idea.

Insurance is available for this reason, insure it and hope there are kind people wherever you ride. Park where its visible to everyone and under cameras if possible, they're everywhere.
That's a good idea to park near a camera, I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I park my bike in the house all the time next to the TV, I just would not recommend starting it up, unless you are in a rental then do a few burnouts on the tile.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts