Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well It's been one year and 7,500 miles of daily riding for business and personal transportation, and my trusty Grom hasn't missed a beat. :)

The rear tire is ready to be replaced in about another 500 miles, and I just installed an O ring chain and aluminum rear sprocket at 7,000 miles, and an iridium spark plug at 5,000 miles. That's about it for replacment needy components. Synthetic oil changes every 1,000 miles.

Mechanical mods:

Intake
Exhaust
Oil Filter Clutch Cover
High Output Oil Pump
Self Tuning ECU

Personalization mods:

Headlight
Taillight
Blinkers
Fender
Levers
Rear Sets
Seat Cowl
Rack

Many mods were done to reduce weight. Stock weight is 229 pounds. Mine weighs 213 pounds. Yet to be installed is an aluminum rear swing arm which will reduce the weight another 3 pounds to 210 pounds. Weight reduction is an often ignored performance mod. Reducing curb weight has a similar effect on performance as modding the engine.

Gas mileage has been good... averaging 130 mpg in the Winter and 145+ mpg in the Summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Nice review and write up. Like I say keep it stock and your grom won't fail you. Maybe do a port and polishing of the head, valves and bore polishing of the inlet tube.

are you still at stock sprocket 15/24 or did you change it?

Reduce weight is the key.

Keep up the good work and keep posting new reviews, ride safe and ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man. :)
I ride for daily utility transportation so the stock gearing feels just right. I rode my DRZ400 supermoto for 13 years and 35,000+ miles, and it was in excellent mechanical condition when I sold it. I also did weight reducing mods including racing cilpons and bobbing the frame to get it down to just 301 pounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel you on that OP. Got mine little over a year ago and popped 5k in that time. Many of changes but if kept fairly stock with just basic bolt ons along with normal oil changes, the damn thing just keeps going with no issue.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put on the Kepspeed aluminum rear swing arm which reduced the weight to 209 pounds.
The bike tracks great in the corners and the chain adjusters are solid and precise. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you still have any hearing left with that Toce exhaust?
My hearing is shot from working on helicopters in Vietnam. (lol)

I did quiet my TOCE way down by running two sets of quiet inserts. I bought the outer set and designed the inner set myself.

This video is of quiet inserts 3.0. I'm running a 4.0 version which is even quieter. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts