Honda Grom banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so I have about 100 miles on my grom, and I've been reading all kinds of recommendations on changing the oil early (because there are particles), not changing the oil early (because there are additives that help break-in), cleaning the oil spinner right away (because there are particles in the spinner/screen), not cleaning the oil spinner until 7500 miles (because those particles keep coming in the first few oil changes and the spinner is designed to hold them).

Honda recommends a first oil change at 600 miles, and the first oil spinner cleaning at 7500 miles. What should I actually do? If I were to take it to the dealer for the first oil change, would they clean the spinner?

Obviously, it doesn't hurt to clean the spinner, but am I doing a lot of damage by following Hondas recommendation?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would drop it at 500 miles and clean the spinner and screen....there is 20 post on here why. Use the old gasket too if its not damaged. There is no special additives to the OIL from honda (Myth)....there will be stuff thats trapped in the screen that you do want to get out. Fresh oil and clean screen will allow for more shit to be pulled out. If I could do it over I prob would have done it at 300 and 5 :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
If honda said x miles for maintenance I'm sure itll be fine if you don't do it till than. I on the other hand, don't feel comfortable going that long before doing this job and will be doing it at ~500 miles and ~5k miles or when ever I get bored and really want to work on the bike.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I haven't cleaned mine. I've been doing the services per Honda's schedule stated in the manual. I'm almost to 7,500 miles and I'll be cleaning the screen for the first time then. I haven't had any issues with it after all this time. I've done oil changes at 6xx, 2,6xx and 5,000 miles. It's not the end of the world if the miles aren't exact.

It doesn't hurt to do it early. Oil changes in the Grom are cheap if you want to do them more often. I personally don't think it's necessary. I'm trusting the Honda engineers on their products.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I haven't cleaned mine. I've been doing the services per Honda's schedule stated in the manual. I'm almost to 7,500 miles and I'll be cleaning the screen for the first time then. I haven't had any issues with it after all this time. I've done oil changes at 6xx, 2,6xx and 5,000 miles. It's not the end of the world if the miles aren't exact.

It doesn't hurt to do it early. Oil changes in the Grom are cheap if you want to do them more often. I personally don't think it's necessary. I'm trusting the Honda engineers on their products.
The first service is criticle at a low Mile due to the machine work and build of the motor....keeps the shit they didnt get out, out of the oil. Like metal fragments, excess gasket

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did what Venomous did too...went according to manual..still hitting over 60mph with good conditions, engine running smooth as ever. Bone stock Grom.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ven: See the Oil thread and the post above and i am sure you will find shit in there.....just safe to do
I've seen that thread and others. I'm not concerned. I'll take that stuff out when I clean the spinner and screen at 7,500 miles. If it was anything to be worried about Honda would have done a TSB on it and changed that cleaning to be performed earlier.

Why? I worked at a Honda auto dealer back in 2006 and saw the same thing when people would bring their new cars in for their first oil change. Sometimes bits out of the oil pan and/or filter. The master techs assured me that the engineers accounted for small pieces like that to come out on the first service. They would be caught by the filter and the ones in the pan wouldn't be picked up by the oil pickup.

Merely my opinion. Only you can choose to do as you wish. This is what I chose to do. NOT bashing on anyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts