Honda Grom banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a leaky valve cover that is slowly dripping oil straight down to the header. I noticed an oil smell before but could never find a leak. Thought it was just that new bike smell burning off.

The cover bolts are snug so I am left to wonder if there is warping. I just bought the bike with 150 miles a few months ago and only have 300 now. Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got 800 miles on mine and the covers have been off many times, using the same o-rings. I dont have any problems. Maybe an o-ring got damaged from the factory or there is some junk in between the o-ring and metal. Remove the cover and check it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
With 300 miles, take it to the dealership and insist they fix it. And ask which mechanic will be doing the work so you don't end up with some 18 year old kid in back who doesn't know what he's doing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With 300 miles, take it to the dealership and insist they fix it. And ask which mechanic will be doing the work so you don't end up with some 18 year old kid in back who doesn't know what he's doing.
Good point but I had a 600 in the local shop about 5 years ago. They forgot the front wheel spacer on a new rim and almost killed me. You know what bearings sound like at 60 when they start failing? Death. So that is why I was asking. I did inspect the cover and it looked fine which is what got me worried. Maybe it will just resolve itself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good point but I had a 600 in the local shop about 5 years ago. They forgot the front wheel spacer on a new rim and almost killed me. You know what bearings sound like at 60 when they start failing? Death. So that is why I was asking. I did inspect the cover and it looked fine which is what got me worried. Maybe it will just resolve itself.
I prefer to do my own work too. If it's just a valve cover, why not take it off and see if the gasket is seated incorrectly? Or even buy a new one and replace it? It sounds like a cheap and easy fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts