Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone saw or heard anything about an oil cooler for the Grom yet. And if there is any pros or cons for getting one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
pro: source of heat in winter

con: bike falls over, cooler leaks, engine blows up.

Trust Honda to do the right thing!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stock engine won't need a cooler but if you bore, stroke and maybe cam the motor an oil cooler would be smart. I'm likely going to rig one up when I go to 180cc....

Brap brap

·
Registered
942 Posts
Stock engine won't need a cooler but if you bore, stroke and maybe cam the motor an oil cooler would be smart. I'm likely going to rig one up when I go to 180cc....

Brap brap
Would that be as simple as adding some kind of oil filter adapter spacer thing that has an inlet an outlet? Then figuring out how to bracket on the oil cooler? Not sure, but I assume it would have to go somewhere that sees oil pressure. An pretty sure that's where a sportbike has it hooked up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The ST 1100 and ST 1300 have the same setup...

·
Registered
677 Posts
It doesn't have an oil filter.... So that's out. If it works like the old engines (I assume it does) then there's and adaptor plate you bolt to the side of the head and it has 2 lines coming off.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It doesn't have an oil filter.... So that's out. If it works like the old engines (I assume it does) then there's and adaptor plate you bolt to the side of the head and it has 2 lines coming off.
really? i guess i never really noticed... lol.... so i guess thats why you gotta change every 2500? the only engine i can think of that i owned that didn't have an oil filter was my 2 stroke moped.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well... Technically it has a oil spinner which Acts as a filter. The oil is pumped through the spinner (kinda like a flywheel connected to the crank), and when the engine is spinning, the heavy particles (anything, dirt, metal) are removed by centrifugal force, it's separated from the oil. So in order to clean the spinner, you have to remove the clutch cover, remove a cover, clean out all the gunk, and then reinstall everything with new gaskets. The interval to clean the spinner is much longer than just an oil change, I'm pretty sure I even saw it in the PDF manual

·
Registered
942 Posts
Here's some fantastic info on an oil cooler on a Honda Nice engine... Which is almost exactly the same as this engine.

So, how much does an oil cooler cool? Results inside!
Very interesting thread. Thanks for the info. So what about bumper to bumper traffic? If I will be doin this type of riding should I get a cooler? Even though little airflow wouldn't do much, but would that still be better than none at all? Maybe a least a temp gauge so I know when to look for an open road to get some airflow to cool it down?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Even bumper to bumper should be 0 problem. Low rpms mean low heat. Though I would suggest a oil temp/dipstick combo just to keep an eye on things in general. In stock form, these bikes should have no problem going anywhere/doing anything. The only time you should run into issues would be when you get up in the 180cc+ category. Then yes for sure, do the cooler. You can always partially block a cooler to adjust the temps

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here's some fantastic info on an oil cooler on a Honda Nice engine... Which is almost exactly the same as this engine.

So, how much does an oil cooler cool? Results inside!
HA!! I was looking for that same write up by Fatcaaat, that man knows his stuff.

I have an oil cooler on my CT70 build and it really helps. I could tell a big change after installation when stopped at a light, my legs didn't feel like they were going to catch fire. Just having the added oil capacity helps the most, regardless how well the radiator dissipates the heat.

They are really easy to install and I'm sure someone will make a bracket to hang it somewhere if you don't want to fab one yourself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I remember right the Honda Wave scooter has the same motor as the Grom. And i've seen pics of oil coolers on thoes. But cant find no info on them.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Still no oil filter? That is bad news any way you look at it. I guess these engines aren't meant to last.
The msx125 owners manual states there is an oil strainer screen and a centrifugal filter. My ct90 has a similar set up and has been running well for 42 years.

Looks like both just need to be cleaned every 7.5k miles.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts