Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the thread title states, is the oil cooler necessary when running the TB camshaft?. Saw a lot of Grom riders with the TB camshaft running an oil cooler. Will it harm the engine running the camshaft with one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are pulling more horsepower out of the engine so it will make more heat. I am sure Honda built plenty of reserve cooling capacity into the little 125 so it can handle expect climates and uses. But if you add four horsepower, for example, you just boosted the output by nearly 50%. Me, yeah, I would probably think an oil cooler wise especially if you live in a hot climate and run hard or need to idle through heavy stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I run a TB cam.

I ran it 50+ miles non stop and saw temps as high as 230s+ and low 210s.

I upgraded to takegawa oil pump and never saw temps go above 210.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm, first I've heard of that. I've got a TB cam, MNNTHBX intake, and the Yoshi RS3 race system, just ran it 211 miles yesterday for almost 6 hrs straight pretty much wide open everywhere, including a 10mile first gear offroad trail, really didn't notice any heat differences.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I also have the same cam, wouldn't worry about the cooler. Only way I think you'd need one is if you went BBK. If it's really hot out and I know I'll be sitting somewhere for awhile idling, I just shut the bike off. Did that since day one with stock parts.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hmm, first I've heard of that. I've got a TB cam, MNNTHBX intake, and the Yoshi RS3 race system, just ran it 211 miles yesterday for almost 6 hrs straight pretty much wide open everywhere, including a 10mile first gear offroad trail, really didn't notice any heat differences.
How are you monitoring your oil temps? Gauge or butt dyno? Nothing beats correct and accurate information.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How are you monitoring your oil temps? Gauge or butt dyno? Nothing beats correct and accurate information.
Infrared temp gauge and my hand... :cool2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts