Honda Grom banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ninelives17, I know you said you’ve been really busy at work and home lately, but when you have time, will you give us an update on how your bike is running? I would love to hear more about how it performs with the high compression piston, ported larger valve head, and larger throttle body. What kind of speed can you realistically cruise at on the highway (flat ground and up hills)?

My buddy came in town from Colorado. He brought his 2018 Grom ABS. He bought it a year ago. Still has the original gas in it. Bone stock. Zero mods. Less than 50 miles. I live about 6300 feet lower than he does. The bike didn’t want to run! I reset the ECU and changed the altitude setting. We put fresh fuel in it. It ran like complete crap for about 30 minutes, then it started running normally. I think the problem was both the altitude change and bad fuel.

Riding it around my neighborhood made me appreciate all of my mods. Because I’ve changed so many parts gradually, I had gotten used to all of them little by little. Riding a bone stock Grom was eye opening.

His front fork bottoms out so easily. I don’t remember mine being that soft before the Ohlins upgrade. I guess it was. My 4-piston Brembo caliper requires a fraction of the lever pull his does. The ASV levers have spoiled me. I didn’t realize how bad the stock levers were, until I rode them again. My bike is noticeably faster too.

Not bashing his bike, but riding it really allowed me to appreciate all of the mods I’ve made.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Well..... I've only put 2,000 miles on it since the repairs were finished. But I can tell you right now that I love it! I can cruise @65 sitting upright on flat ground. Max top speed so far is still 83 downhill but I know it can go faster, just haven't pushed it that hard again. I typically run 55-60 on mine and @Hairless adventures. The best part though is the torque down low, you can slow way down in 4th gear and still not need to downshift to gain speed. My gearing helps with that too, but it was mostly the hi-comp piston.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well..... I've only put 2,000 miles on it since the repairs were finished. But I can tell you right now that I love it! I can cruise @65 sitting upright on flat ground. Max top speed so far is still 83 downhill but I know it can go faster, just haven't pushed it that hard again. I typically run 55-60 on mine and @Hairless adventures. The best part though is the torque down low, you can slow way down in 4th gear and still not need to downshift to gain speed. My gearing helps with that too, but it was mostly the hi-comp piston.
2000 miles! That’s awesome. I thought I had almost 2000 miles. Climbed on my bike Saturday only to realize it was 1800 miles. You certainly get your money’s worth out of that bike!

I’m looking forward to either a high compression piston and ported head or BBK one day. I would love it if the bike could hold 65-70mph on the highway, even uphill, especially without tucking. That’s asking for a lot. Right now it wants to dip to 55-58mph on the big uphill sections of highway. I’m passing everyone on the downhills and getting passed on the uphills.

I still need to install my 36tooth rear sprocket. Looking forward to that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[/QUOT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lol well i will tell you this ninelives17 keeps insisting that his really isnt much different than mine but yet i cant go 83 or more less i struggle to hit 65 at a steady pace but i do have a mileage pic for yall if i can figure out how to post it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Only true Grom gangstas run the gas gauge till it flashes, lol. Only insane people like you pass a gas station and say "we will stop at the NEXT gas station"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its called trust and yes in my head it was just a mile or two down the road,but reality it was more like almost 20 but we made through with our great tucks and coasting.lol

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can’t wait to see how many miles you two have on your bikes by this time next year. Probably 20,000. Does Hairless bike still have the original cam chain tensioner or did you guys change it?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
We replaced it with stock components, my Takegawa is still doing fine. I really believe I won the defect lottery with the Koso. :( I think @Hairless was scared to let me change his after my failure, but eventually came around. Hard to beat free labor..... lol.

·
Registered
539 Posts
We replaced it with stock components, my Takegawa is still doing fine. I really believe I won the defect lottery with the Koso. :( I think @Hairless was scared to let me change his after my failure, but eventually came around. Hard to beat free labor..... lol.
You sound like a good friend!

Yeah, I agree with you about the Koso tensioner. Plenty of people running those. I’ve not heard of any failures. Probably just rotten luck. You got the one defective one.

My Takegawa tensioner seems to be doing great too, but my bike is not a good measure of durability. I don’t put a ton of miles on my ride like you fellows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh trust me it wasnt free labor but somebody has to be ninelives17 friend lol anyway he has more money to blow. I will be honest though when his messed up i decided not to upgrade mine just go back to stock. It was not a cheap fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh trust me it wasnt free labor but somebody has to be ninelives17 friend lol anyway he has more money to blow. I will be honest though when his messed up i decided not to upgrade mine just go back to stock. It was not a cheap fix.
Also i trust ninelives17 with my life he is like a brother i never had. Learned alot with him and been in alot of messes with him uummm just now realized the pattern here.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Also i trust ninelives17 with my life he is like a brother i never had. Learned alot with him and been in alot of messes with him uummm just now realized the pattern here.
I understand. I’ve got about 5 friends like that. Those 5 friends I consider part of the “inner circle”. 3 of them, I’ve been to hell and back with. Countless adventures. Most of us don’t usually have too many people like that during our time on this Earth. People you can call anytime, no matter what you need, they’ve got your back. These are all friendships that date back at least 25 years, some of them almost 40 years.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts